does motorsport engourage speeding?
  • Help

Default does motorsport engourage speeding?

this is a question that was in the herald/sun today in a driving survey in the car section.
    does motorsport encourage speeding.?
    thought id pop the question in this section to see what people who actually compete in motorsport say.
    i also think this will apply to people who are fans of motorsport as well.-BAZZ

Advertisement

XTC

my Those that are the biggest hoons (i'm talking the ones you see on "A Current Affair") are the LEAST likely to have done any form of motorsport, usually they are all mouth and actually very little talent .. and it's normally not just speeding they do.

As for the rest of the people who speed I don't think motorsport has anything to do with it .. I just think everyone is in a rush .. less time to do everything so why not spend as little as possible on the road ??

As someone who's been in motorsport as a competitor and long term official I think in general we speed less .. if you can belive that.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I've never done any motorsport (though hope to hit some trackdays soon). But I can tell you that the few times I've given it some stick on some deserted backroads (under reasonably safe conditions) have made it much easier to just potter about when back in town. I'm usually much more relaxed and patient behind the wheel for a few weeks.
    Care factor = -273.15ļC

I think motorsport encourages pride and precision in the way one drives his/her car.
    Speeding is a by product, not the root cause for accidents.

If only we were all taught car control or made to be perfect at Gran Turismo 4 before bieng given a lisence.

Im Kent Brothman and thats my 2 cents!

My experience is that competing makes you less likely to speed or have accidents, but spectating is a different matter, ive seen some really stupid driving and crashes around rallies from spectators.
    205gti

Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    My experience is that competing makes you less likely to speed or have accidents, but spectating is a different matter, ive seen some really stupid driving and crashes around rallies from spectators.
    I think you are pretty right here, casnell. And there are a lot more spectators than competers!
    When I was younger, I remember having the altruistic view that motor sport made people more responsible, but over the years I've realised that this view is probably held by only by those who want it to be true.
    Has Rally Australia helped the streets of Perth become a haven of WRX rally drivers, or is that the same everywhere?
    The other thing now is that local mainstream motorsport (like them or not - V8 Supercars) is catering mainly for the yobbo spectator - burnouts, stunt driving and riding, drivers with aggressive egos, etc - good for the adrenalin but its not responsible motorsport (but that's their business isn't it, money not responsibility).
    My personal opinion is that motorsport people who claim that motorsport does not cause bad driving, are like Hollywood film producers who claim that violent and sadistic films have never caused any one to commit a crime.

As for believing that being expert on GT4 will make better drivers, james h/kent brothman, I am speechless!

It would be interesting to see the results of the survey (if it is a decent one).

Just my opinions.

al

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    this is a question that was in the herald/sun today in a driving survey in the car section.
    does motorsport encourage speeding.?
    thought id pop the question in this section to see what people who actually compete in motorsport say.
    i also think this will apply to people who are fans of motorsport as well.-BAZZ
    Go and stay down at phillip island while the supercars are on... Apparently it encourages people to be horrible bogans as well irresponsible drivers...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

YES, it encourages speeding VERY VERY VERY much, every time i see my fellow karters speeding on the track i wan't to do the same.... (insert sarcasm ahahh here)
    Sorry to any herald/sun or paper lovers, but what a dum ass question. We are SOOOOO busy trying to put blame on other things and other people... what about looking at ourselves and blaming the person behind the wheel!
    I hate this kind of trend, as this leads to "some one taking legal action because i saw some else do it!!"".... rant over. - Chris
    ... ptui!

What a silly question Of cause it does! Dont people get their WRX so they can drive just like Petter Solberg! or a 1.4 206 so they can drive like Marcus Gronholm

Some people are responsible (us aussiefroggers) & there are those stupid driver that endanger other people's life on our public roads. I mean whats a 1.7tonne Shxx Box that can fish-tail out from every intersection in third doing on our road...

UFO

I know that it encourages stupid driving on the way to and from the track. There is a motocross track near our place that most people drive through our village to get to. Of course very few people leave enough time to get there, so they roar up through the village at 70 to 80 km/h - even through the permanent 40 km/h zone. Then later in the day after their noise and dust has annoyed the crap out of us all day, they roar back down the hills through the village.

Of course they are very skillfull drivers! You have to be to handle a twin cab hilux with oversize tyres, a bike in the tray and at least three more on the trailer behind you. Pay absolutely NO regard to locals or the extra traffic around the pub etc.

They all seem to come off the track full of adrenalin and bravado and don't give two hoots about anyone else.

I saw a great demo of a similar thing yesterday. We were just north of Goulburn in the semi darkness, when mr wanktank towing a trailer with a Porsche race car on the back, is tailgating another wanktank at at least 120km/h in amongst a block of traffic on the Hume. Funny, I thought the speed limit for a bogie trailer was 100km/h. Silly me. I have seen examples of this numerous times of people both going to and coming from Wakefield.

I am sure in both examples that there are those who drive responsibly, but it is the idiots who ruin it for everyone else as always.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ha ha ha. See how easily we have swallowed the notion that Speed Kills, without regard for any of the other factors that contribute to road safety or otherwise . Of course speed is a major factor in many "accidents" but there are always other factors, usually to do with "attitude, respect and responsibility and plain old stupidity". Perhaps a better question would be " Does motorsport increase the number of accidents". The only people who could even come close to answering that question with anything other than a highly subjective bias would be the TAC or maybe the Monash Accident Centre.

Hoges
    206XT
    Triumph Vitesse, 2l
    Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2 Diseasel

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    YES, it encourages speeding VERY VERY VERY much, every time i see my fellow karters speeding on the track i wan't to do the same.... (insert sarcasm ahahh here)
    Sorry to any herald/sun or paper lovers, but what a dum ass question. We are SOOOOO busy trying to put blame on other things and other people... what about looking at ourselves and blaming the person behind the wheel!
    I hate this kind of trend, as this leads to "some one taking legal action because i saw some else do it!!"".... rant over. - Chris

it was a bit of a silly question but was in with anothe 40 odd questions i suppose to get an overview.
    im of the opinion that most motorsport people are usually pretty responsible.
    however the hoons leaving calder park on a open street drag night give the rest of them a bad name.and i suppose there is a few different catogries we could think up.
    -driving experience
    what your 2 cents-BAZZ

Of course it does! How are you going to win if you donít go faster???

Me after playing Gran Turismo...

Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Go and stay down at phillip island while the supercars are on... Apparently it encourages people to be horrible bogans as well irresponsible drivers...
    There's a week and a half of it here every October. Must be something to do with all that VB they drink.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rustymunga
    Me after playing Gran Turismo...

Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, Must get in car and race, must get in car and race, RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE RACE

But that's got nothing to do with motorport.
    Graham

Default Rational Debate

OK, time for my side of the discussion.

First, let's look at what lowest common denominator publications like the Herald-Sun define as motorsport. They lump anything done in a car that involves practices that would be questionable on the road as "motorsport". Sadly the single assumption that motorsport involves uncontrolled speeding is never questioned, to the extent that anyone taking part in any kind of vehicle borne activity is tarred with the same brush as the VL driving dickheads doing doughnuts in a carpark.

REAL motorsport is using a car in a highly controlled and civilised manner. A valuable by-product of this kind of motorsport is a greater understanding of both the car's limits and your own. Maturity comes with recognising that sometimes our own limits are reached sooner than those of the car. Another by-product of such activities is a more complete understanding of the dynamics of car control, something that very few non-competitors will ever learn, sometimes to their cost in an emergency situation.

So is a burnout "competition", drift racing or legal off street drag racing REAL motorsport? I personally don't believe so, but it serves a small purpose in removing a small percentage of hoons from the roads. Unfortunately it also encourages a larger percentage of uneducated hoons to demonstrate how they can "do it better" while leaving the car park and joining the traffic stream on the highway!

In my experience, Club level motorsport such as motorkhana, autocross, hillclimb etc is a far better breeding ground for responsible driving than most racing types. Sure, one is still competing against other cars, but the controls and safety levels are high enough that danger is very low, and the fun factor is high enough that one doesn't need to hoon when returning to the traffic, one has had a full day's fun already!

All three of my sons have been exposed to REAL motorsport since they were 12 and permitted to have a go themselves. I truly believe this has made them better and more aware drivers. That is the real benefit of motorsport that, sadly, very few of the aforementioned "motorsports" will ever produce.

So, no, I don't believe that REAL motorsport encourages speeding, but there are so many other influences on an impressionable generation that it becomes almost inevitable. While our politicians and others persist in the knee jerk reaction to a rising road toll of blaming speed as a "catch all" cause rather than addressing driver education, as any responsible parent should, we will always have this sort of misinformation.

I'm not Kent Brockman, and I reckon my words are worth far more than 2 cents!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

The same people will be bad/dangerous drivers with or without motorsport.

The original question perhaps has a bit of an implication that speeding is always bad. Well I don't think it is bad or dangerous in all cases and IMHO the limits on out-of-town roads are too low for a good modern car on good tyres in good conditions.
    unfrogged (for now)

Thread Information