Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Default Indianapolis F1 GP****spoiler****

UNITED STATES GP - PREVIEW

Advertisement

RACE DATE: 19 JUNE 2005
    2004 WINNER: M.SCHUMACHER, 2ND: BARRICHELLO, 3RD: SATO
    2004 POLE: BARRICHELLO - 1m10.223
    2004 BEST LAP: BARRICHELLO - 1m10.399

New for 2000, the USA made its return to the Formula 1 calendar for the first time since 1990 after running at Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Detroit, Dallas and Las Vegas - although the Indy 500 race was a World Championship round from 1950-60. The new Indianapolis circuit largely wends its way through the infield of the two mile oval opened in 1911 and the banked final turn of the Speedway makes an intriguing Turn 1 for the Grand Prix circuit.

TIMETABLE: (In Local Time - GMT -5)

Friday, June 17th:
    Practice Session 1 - 11:00-12:00
    Practice Session 2 - 14:00-15:00
    Saturday, June 18th:
    Practice Session 3 - 09:00-09:45
    Practice Session 4 - 10:15-11:00
    Qualifying Session 1 - 13:00-14:00
    Sunday, June 19th:
    Race - 13:00-15:00

TIMETABLE: (In AEST)

Saturday, June 18th:
    Practice Session 1 - 02:00-03:00
    Practice Session 2 - 05:00-06:00 (am)

Sunday, June 19th:
    Practice Session 3 - 00:00-00:45
    Practice Session 4 - 01:15-02:00
    Qualifying Session 1 - 04:00-05:00 (am)

Monday, June 20th:
    Race - 04:00-06:00 (am)
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Friday first practice times from Indianapolis

1. MONTOYA McLaren 1m12.027s
    2. ZONTA Toyota 1m12.085s
    3. ALONSO Renault 1m12.666s
    4. HEIDFELD Williams 1m12.804s
    5. BUTTON BAR 1m12.865s
    6. DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m12.913s
    7. SATO BAR 1m13.013s
    8. FISICHELLA Renault 1m13.024s
    9. WEBBER Williams 1m13.082s
    10. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m13.242s
    11. BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m13.245s
    12. R.SCHUMACHER Toyota 1m13.461s
    13. TRULLI Toyota 1m13.683s
    14. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m13.740s
    15. SPEED Red Bull 1m13.846s
    16. KLIEN Red Bull 1m14.444s
    17. MASSA Sauber 1m14.637s
    18. VILLENEUVE Sauber 1m14.696s
    19. KARTHIKEYAN Jordan 1m14.803s
    20. MONTEIRO Jordan 1m14.978s
    21. DOORNBOS Jordan 1m15.791s
    22. FRIESACHER Minardi 1m16.343s
    23. ALBERS Minardi 1m16.357s
    24. RAIKKONEN McLaren no time

Friday second practice times from Indianapolis

1. MONTOYA McLaren 1m11.118s
    2. RAIKKONEN McLaren 1m11.228s
    3. BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m11.746s
    4. M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m11.758s
    5. HEIDFELD Williams 1m11.825s
    6. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m12.076s
    7. DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m12.119s
    8. SPEED Red Bull 1m12.143s
    9. ALONSO Renault 1m12.265s
    10.TRULLI Toyota 1m12.344s
    11.FISICHELLA Renault 1m12.384s
    12.MASSA Sauber 1m12.464s
    13.WEBBER Williams 1m12.578s
    14.KLIEN Red Bull 1m12.664s
    15.BUTTON BAR 1m12.803s
    16.SATO BAR 1m13.037s
    17.VILLENEUVE Sauber 1m13.079s
    18.DOORNBOS Jordan 1m13.361s
    19.ZONTA Toyota 1m13.567s
    20.FRIESACHER Minardi 1m13.783s
    21.ALBERS Minardi 1m13.963s
    22.KARTHIKEYAN Jordan 1m14.008s
    23.MONTEIRO Jordan 1m14.336s
    24.R.SCHUMACHER Toyota no time

No time posted for Ralf because the car swapped ends in the last corner and he hit the wall like he did last year on the same corner.There still looking what caused the car to swap ends so quickly.

Zen

Left rear tyre puncture.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Was quite a big impact for Ralf. It was a bit earlier in the corner than his shunt last year. He had absolutely no chance to save it and ws lucky that he went into the wall with the side of the car.

Zonta about ten minutes earlier had exactly the same thing happen, but coming out of turn 5...the car spun wildly some 3 times and ended up in the gravel at the next corner.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Zen

Ralf Schumacher has pulled out of the Indianapolis GP and has been replaced by Ricardo Zonta. I reckon he's got psychological issues after that second shunt. Considering the amount of money he is paid by Toyota, all I can say about it is... "Meow".

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Zen

Michelin are flying out a new batch of tyres different to the North American specialized compound as they have not been able to explain the two tyre failures on the Toyotas. The FIA and Bridgestone will have to allow Michelin to do this so if Bridgestone (read: Ferrari) do not, then expect a very boring six car race... then again a Minardi would probably end up on the podium.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Ralf was not medically cleared to race... I think judgements on his psych state should wait till theres been a proper interview with him

Back to some actual facts - its nice to see the Minardis consistently on pace with the Jordans now. Not that it means as much this year.... reliability is unbeleivable all round thus 1-2 points for the season is harder to pick up without comparative pace.

Interesting that the Michelin runners participation in the event may hinge on Ferrari giving them permission to use a different tyre spec than arranged pre-event.... would be an easy way for Ferrari to boost their championship hopes. Minardi and Jordan would be battling for 3rd place also. If Ferrari do let them race (which im sure they will) then the set up will be potentially wrong in combination with the tyres, so either way, Ferrari should be looking good this race. Heres hopin!

Quote Originally Posted by da_prancin_schu
    Ralf was not medically cleared to race... I think judgements on his psych state should wait till theres been a proper interview with him

Back to some actual facts - its nice to see the Minardis consistently on pace with the Jordans now. Not that it means as much this year.... reliability is unbeleivable all round thus 1-2 points for the season is harder to pick up without comparative pace.

Interesting that the Michelin runners participation in the event may hinge on Ferrari giving them permission to use a different tyre spec than arranged pre-event.... would be an easy way for Ferrari to boost their championship hopes. Minardi and Jordan would be battling for 3rd place also. If Ferrari do let them race (which im sure they will) then the set up will be potentially wrong in combination with the tyres, so either way, Ferrari should be looking good this race. Heres hopin!

The problem is not with Ferrari letting the Michelin shod teams race, the problem is the FIA and Michelin coming to some agreement as to how to solve the Michelin problem - it has nothing to do with Ferrari. Of course if Michelin are to use the new batch of tyres, they will be breaking 5 or so regulations which will be protested by the Bridgestone teams. And so they should, why should they suffer a disadvantage because of Michelins errors?

News just through suggests that the new batch won't be sent over...they have discussed putting a chicane in Turn 13 but that has safety implications in itself, in validating the safety of the temp chicane.

If Michelin are allowed to race breaking rules and regulations, it opens up a huge can of worms - what's to stop someone in the future claiming safety concerns over their product, asking for permission to bypass certain rules?
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

As for qualifying:

I think Trulli is light, his 3rd sector was very fast, and it only compromises one 130kph corner and the two flat out banked corners; not to mention he clocked a top speed of 342 compared to 338 of the Renaults and 328 of MS.

Still, a great lap by Trulli who has the best qualifying record this year.
    A good lap by Kimi too, just missing out on the final sector.
    Fisichella ousted Alonso by a few tenths - Alonso is only a little bit heavier than Fisi as he said afterwards.
    Ferraris best combined qualification this year, MS with a good lap to split the Renaults. RB was scrappy.
    Albers had a great lap in the Minardi, only 1.2 secs off Heidfeld.
    DC made a big mistake on his lap and starts behind his teammate.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

read this in another forum......

Q. The seven Michelin teams have agreed that they will only race in the US Grand Prix if a chicane is fitted before the banked turn 13 overnight.

Following a post-qualifying meeting, the teams have written a letter to the FIA explaining their position and requesting the construction of a chicane. However that is extremely unlikely to happen, which means that we could see a race take place with just the six Bridgestone cars in it - provided the Michelin teams stick to their agreement.

will be an interesting race......since i have a day off tomorrow i'll stay up to watch it

Quote Originally Posted by Maddin
    read this in another forum......

Q. The seven Michelin teams have agreed that they will only race in the US Grand Prix if a chicane is fitted before the banked turn 13 overnight.

Following a post-qualifying meeting, the teams have written a letter to the FIA explaining their position and requesting the construction of a chicane. However that is extremely unlikely to happen, which means that we could see a race take place with just the six Bridgestone cars in it - provided the Michelin teams stick to their agreement.

will be an interesting race......since i have a day off tomorrow i'll stay up to watch it

Well the track has already opened and there is no chicane there. A meeting will be held between those teams involved and the FIA, which will be held at 1am AEST, to decide on a solution.

There are various support categories that will be running in the morning so I doubt that the chicane idea will actually occur. Not to mention there is a complex number of actions that are required before any circuit changes of that magnitude are allowed. I don't think there is enough time for that.

Bernie has been quoted as saying that this matter may end up in the courts...
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Unconfirmed report:
    "Trulli qualified on 3 laps of fuel, as Toyota thought they would not be racing. He'll be starting from the pits in the T Car."
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

INTERESTING

Keep the updates coming, i dont really want to stay up till 3.30 to see ferrari & minardi race eachother

Fellow Frogger!

Default To the Courts

If the US grand prix starts with all runners on their qualifying tyres there will be no problem. Michelin has said "no" to these tyres running in the race. Renault has said we won't start.
    Michelin has landed a full set of new but "older spec" Barcelona tyres for this GP.
    Will they be allowed to use them?
    The rules say no.
    If there is ANY change to the tyre rules then all Michelin runners will have to be penalised for breaking them.
    Point of interest, when Kimmi had his "suspension failure" he and McLaren were roundly castigated by some for not changing the tyre and to play safe. They were allowed to under the rules in the interest of "safety". McLaren chose not to and defeded that decision in 20/20 hindsight.
    Therefore, in this race, if the Q/F tyres go off, (before shunting you into a wall) there is a provision to change them. How many times can you change them? I don't know!
    This is a major debacle for Michelin, and whatever happens in this race it is likely to sour public sentiment towards their products. With the 2008 proposals pointing to a one make - one compound tyre for cost reductions, Michelin could loose all prestige from F1.

Pitlane opened and only Ferrari and Jordan have come out.

No chicane to be built. Don't be surprised if half the field come in.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Zen

Absolutely sh*t. It's absolute sh*t. Ferrari, Minardi and Jordan are the only teams racing. The crowd are ropeable, and justifibly. This is the death of F1 in North America.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Ferrari would be second in constructors championship if they finnish like this. heh

BOO

I never thought I'd see the day when F1 became the laughing stock of world motorsport.

Well today is the day - Hang your head in shame F1. You have killed the sport in North America.

Mind you - It's got a lot of us up at 4am just to see what happens.

I would be so ****** off if I had paid good money to go see this race and ended up watching a demonstration. Not to mention the penalties for commercial partners, world tv revenue etc etc... it goes on.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Absolutely sh*t. It's absolute sh*t. Ferrari, Minardi and Jordan are the only teams racing. The crowd are ropeable, and justifibly. This is the death of F1 in North America.

Rich
    Dont you mean Jordan & Minardi are the only teams racing?

Can't believe that some americans are wasting perfectly good cans of beer by hurling them onto the track.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    Dont you mean Jordan & Minardi are the only teams racing?

Can't believe that some americans are wasting perfectly good cans of beer by hurling them onto the track.

Not to mention the danger of throwing a half kilo container at cars going 300kph. As angry as I would be, there's no justification for that kind of stupidity.

I hope fans get refunded.

Next US GP, if there is to be one, should be free.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Icon8 What a Joke

This is terrible, but who can you blame?
    1. Michelin for making dodgy tires?
    2. Ferrari and FAI for not agreeing to the new corners?
    3. Fans throwing bottles and cans on the race track?
    4. Stupid rules, ie 1 set of tyres for an entire race?

Well after listening to the commentry here is what i have gathered:

1. Michelin have notified the teams prior to race so they would not be liable for any injuries. But as a company I'd expect they would be fined/sued.

2. Why should a team compromise their 1st place for another teams technical fault. What were to happen if Ferrari's engines had a large failure? The same thing? I expect not. And theFAI couldn't really step in and change the track on them.

3. Who can blame them at $80US a pop for a ticket, I would be (excuse the french, no pun intened) pissed off.

4. I personally HATE this one set of tyres for a race. It has always been a compromise on the drivers safety, and quite francly takes the straegy out of the race. They should give the teams 6 sets of tyres for the weekend, 3 only to be used in race.

All in all about the only solution that they came up with was to run the new track so the Michelin's could run on the condition that they could have no points. But this wasn't thought of, or most likely expressed because Ferrari would have an easy win, and the other teams would have just lost millions of dollars. But that said the FANS would be happy. I doubt F1 will be back in the USA next year. Very disappointing I must say. Considering I woke up to watch it and I have a final exam today

Owen
    "Hurray I'm useful, I am having a wonderful time." Dr Zoidberg

'91 Peugeot Mi16

In my opinion, it's not the responsibility of Ferrari that Michelin do not produce a safe tyre.

Nor FIA.

Michelon shod cars should have run the race, and simply slowed if they were worried about punctures. Either that or make multiple tyre changes. It is their problem, and they should find a solution for themselves that does not effect the innocent parties.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Ferrari did not oppose the extra chicane. They simply didn't comment. They said it is up FIA to determine rules etc.

Do not blame Ferrari.

And for those people who throw the stuff to the track should be sentenced to maximum penalty for causing danger of injury/death for drivers.

And toyotas tires were the only ones with cuts in them.
    Has anyone considered sabotage? There is lot of people who dislike toyota (me included, but I would not sabotage anything).

Quote Originally Posted by Pate
    And toyotas tires were the only ones with cuts in them.
    Has anyone considered sabotage? There is lot of people who dislike toyota (me included, but I would not sabotage anything).

I believe 11 other cars found some sort of damage on the shoulder of the tyres, although 'only' 2 cars suffered a complete failure. There was a problem there.

The 'new' bath that was to be shipped out, also had a problem and were deemed unsafe, so it's all Michelin's doing in my view for not being able to produce a safe tyre...and to think of all the testing they do!
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information