Peugeot with a diesel powered car at le Mans, it's official!!!!!
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon7 Peugeot with a diesel powered car at le Mans, it's official!!!!!

Hi,

Advertisement

News just in...

Peugeot will prepare a HDI+FAP powered Supercar during year 2006 in order to run the 2007 sport cars championship+ le Mans(and win it)!!!

Amazing news after their retirement of the WRC!!!

Sounds good, I've always liked sports cars but we dont get much of them here in Aust.
    Keep posting developments please.

Cheers.

those crazy french should be very interesting indeed.. if not hopefully drive performance diesel stuff in to main stream a little more..

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Great news... but this Diesel develpoment is taking much longer than I thought and wanted. I still don't see any current (mass production) car in Turbo Diesel that in stock will outperform its petrol counterpart.
    When will deisel tech really kick a real life goal, i hope its not far away. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Great news... but this Diesel develpoment is taking much longer than I thought and wanted. I still don't see any current (mass production) car in Turbo Diesel that in stock will outperform its petrol counterpart.
    When will deisel tech really kick a real life goal, i hope its not far away. - Chris

The BMW 530 diesel is more than a match for the petrol version
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi 03
    The BMW 530 diesel is more than a match for the petrol version
    Really, BMW here don't seem to think so. And is that the 530 petrol in the same capacity??? So why didn't they use deisel with the M5? I know it would have crazy tourque, but how much quicker is it? Sorry about the 100Q's - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    Really, BMW here don't seem to think so. And is that the 530 petrol in the same capacity??? So why didn't they use deisel with the M5? I know it would have crazy tourque, but how much quicker is it? Sorry about the 100Q's - Chris
    The 5 series is using some new funky sequential dual turbo system with routes the exhaust and chagred intake depending on engine speed and load to maximise the efficiency and power. Apparently it works a treat too.

Unfortunatly the AU market has yet to mature enough to accept diesel in the mainstream. I suggest it's also go to do with the price premium of diesel compared to the opposite in the home markets.

Regarding the M5, BMW wanted to flex their muscles and produce a high power, high rev V10 engine to sell off the back of their F1 'succecs'.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    The 5 series is using some new funky sequential dual turbo system with routes the exhaust and chagred intake depending on engine speed and load to maximise the efficiency and power. Apparently it works a treat too.

Unfortunatly the AU market has yet to mature enough to accept diesel in the mainstream. I suggest it's also go to do with the price premium of diesel compared to the opposite in the home markets.

Regarding the M5, BMW wanted to flex their muscles and produce a high power, high rev V10 engine to sell off the back of their F1 'succecs'.
    Thanks Brad, you live aye!? - Chris

ps, any figure for this 530 d.
    ... ptui!

Icon1

Its the 535d

2993cc inline 6, twin-turbo diesel
    272hp @ 4400rpm
    413 lb.ft @ 2000rpm
    0-100(ish) 6.5sec

Evo did a write up in the March edition. They enjoyed it but not as much as the M5 (turn in etc was better).

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Fellow Frogger!

One of the local car mag.s tried one in Europe and raved about it, said it was the best BMW engine full stop.

A pity our diesel here is so shi**y here we don't see them.

I drove one from Surrey to Goodwood two days in a row when they first came out two years ago and was mighty impressed. Far better than the Mercedes C230D I drove in Germany last year.
    95 MI16
    71 404 U10 ute
    66 404 coupe
    55 203C (gently warmed) gone... sold...

So just like petrol there is different grades of Diesel? Is it graded the same way regular ULP etc??...
    I want a super tourque. super revs RWD under 800 Kg's.... hmm. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugster
    Peugeot will prepare a HDI+FAP powered Supercar during year 2006 in order to run the 2007 sport cars championship+ le Mans(and win it)!!!
    This isn't the first time diesel engined cars have appeared at Le Mans. BMW have competed in the past in diesel powered saloons.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    Its the 535d Evo did a write up in the March edition. They enjoyed it but not as much as the M5 (turn in etc was better).
    Probably because of less weight over the front wheels compared to the V10.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    Its the 535d
    2993cc inline 6, twin-turbo diesel
    272hp @ 4400rpm
    413 lb.ft @ 2000rpm
    0-100(ish) 6.5sec
    How do these figures compare to BMW's 3.0L petrol 535i? Wouldn't surprise me if the 'd' was the quicker of the two.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    This isn't the first time diesel engined cars have appeared at Le Mans. BMW have competed in the past in diesel powered saloons.

Last year a diesel powered car entered. It was a V10 with a Lola B2K/10 chassis.

I believe the first diesel engined car was in 1949.
    1977-1982
    Gli Anni Delle Febbre
    Gilles Villeneuve #27

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi180

Wasnt that the one that was running on bio-diesel? I vaguely remember something about last years LeMans and a diesel powered car running.

I know that several teams have entered diesel cars in the Nurburgring 24 hrs - or possibly the spa 24 hours. One was a team headed by the Luff's from Sydney. I think it was a diesel powered pug (306?) or maybe a golf.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYLIFE
    Last year a diesel powered car entered. It was a V10 with a Lola B2K/10 chassis.

I believe the first diesel engined car was in 1949.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

2cv

Diesel technology is progressing at leaps and bounds compared to petrol. Years ago you wouldnt have compared them. But we're in the wrong country to observe this...

BDG

Quote Originally Posted by 2cv
    Diesel technology is progressing at leaps and bounds compared to petrol. Years ago you wouldnt have compared them. But we're in the wrong country to observe this...
    85% of the cars made & sold by PEUGEOT worldwide are diesel fueled & powered. Just wait until Peugeot tackle F1 with a Diesel ,of which will be not to long!

BDG

Quote Originally Posted by BDG
    85% of the cars made & sold by PEUGEOT worldwide are diesel fueled & powered. Just wait until Peugeot tackle F1 with a Diesel ,of which will be not to long!
    By the way,Peugeot & BMW are to share joint manufacturing in STRASBURG , French /German border country , to produce petrol engines for both marques respectively , to use in cars only.

Just look at the new 307 2.0L HDi - 100kW and 320Nm. It does 195km/h and gets 4.4 L/100Km. Why would you buy a petrol?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

BDG

Icon14

Yes you are right, why would you?

Default Oil vs Petroleum

BDG,

Where did you get your 85% figure from. I would be interested to read your source.

My HDi is great to drive and gets around 17 Klms per litre on average. I am sure I could improve upon that figure with an interstate trip.

I am keen to see what the next generation of Diesel engine will produce.

The only down side at the moment is the price of Diesel, however, I am willing to pay the <20% difference when I am getting nearly twice the economy of an Australian six.

I would love to know why diesel is dearer than petrol, yes I know that there has been an increase in the quality, therefore the production cost and that there is currently less demand for diesel. This does not answer the fact that petrol is more highly refined than diesel.

Go Diesel

Revz

306XT
    406HDi
    GSXR1100J

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh306
    BDG,

I would love to know why diesel is dearer than petrol,
    Go Diesel
    I heard because of the greatly increased demand lately in the Asian market.

One of those 2L HDi 307's with a Quaife ATB would be a fantastic vehicle.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

BDG

Icon14

The crude oil on which the pricing is based for petroleum products in australia ,is what in the oil business known as light crude ,which is not suitable for lube oil ,diesel ,or heating oil production . And as our prices are governed by world parity pricing ,we pay what the oil companies pay on the world market. Speak to your local sitting parlimentarian about this problem , liberal or labour. The % of cars on diesel production ,came directly from PEUGEOT in FRANCE.

Default And Petrol???

The crude oil on which the pricing is based for petroleum products in australia ,is what in the oil business known as light crude ,which is not suitable for lube oil ,diesel ,or heating oil production . And as our prices are governed by world parity pricing ,we pay what the oil companies pay on the world market. Speak to your local sitting parlimentarian about this problem , liberal or labour. The % of cars on diesel production ,came directly from PEUGEOT in FRANCE.
    You didn't include "petrol" in the products light crude is not suitable for, so I guess petrol is refined from light crude? Is this correct? I am trying to ascertain approximately what % of our petrol is obtained from Australian oil fields - just for interest - as I think the parity pricing is a crock - it makes Australia party to the OPEC cartel, and I always thought cartels were illegal in this country - but obviously not when it comes to big profits for thr oil companies.
    On re-reading your post, I realise you are not saying that light crude is from Australia, but that our pricing is based on light crude (from anywhere).
    But would you happen to know the answer to my query ( ie, % of our petrol obtained from local sources?).

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information