WRC - 2020 - Rally of Sweden
  • Help

Default WRC - 2020 - Rally of Sweden

Rally of Sweden is scheduled to start 13.2.20, but has been under threat of cancellation due to warmer winter conditions. The risk is that the rally cars with the studded winter tyres would cut through the slush damaging road surface to such an extent to make them unusable. The special stages have been inspected and the decision has been make to run the rally, but as a concession to the conditions, the historic rally car component has been cancelled to reduce wear and tear on the road surfaces.

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fortunately BoM.SE has been predicting a bit of snow between now and then.

I have been to that rally, twice. The first night stage is held in a greyhound track, and the service park is an old airfield.

The 00 and 000 cars were driven by the likes of Stig Blomqvist and Björn Waldegård.

Colin's Crest is much smaller in real life than on the TV. The spectator car park is full of snowmobiles. They sell lots of hotdogs.

And nothing beats standing around in -15 degrees at 8am waiting for the first car. It is magic.

Not that it will be that cold this year but.

The warm weather has resulted in light snow condtions and reduced competitive stages as a result. Some of the Friday highlights can be seen on Red Bull TV, link below

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/event...y-recap-sweden
    Every day is a good day

Latvala retired on the third stage due to intermittent technical fault. As the Toyota was a "hire" drive from Toyota. Toyota have offered him Sardinia, which means he will drive in Sardinia and Finland this year unless he can find additional funding for more rallies.

Edit:- One of the two Sunday morning stages has been cancelled due to the weather.
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 16th February 2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Add information
    Every day is a good day

Default SPOILER -- Rally results

1/ E Evans
    2/ O Tanak
    3/ K Rovanpera
    4/ S Ogier
    5/ E Lappi
    6/ T Sunninen

The two standout drivers to me were Evans and Rovanpera. Evans was on fire the whole event setting the pace and young Rovanpera had a solid tussel for third with Ogier, beating him for the podium. Kalle made history in being the youngest ever driver to finish on podium in WRC round at 19 years of age. Looks like Tommi scored with the drivers this year and Tanak will have to be on his best form to win to as the Toyotas seem to be on the pace.
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

My thoughts...
    *Tanak took a HUGE gamble, and coming in 2nd in a car to which he is new, is a great result for him, and a testament to his ability
    *I honestly did not think Evans had that sort of performance in him, and he seemed to be close to dipping out of WRC in the last couple of years.
    *Go Rovanpera! It shouldn't make any difference to me who wins, but child prodigies are hard to not like, and it would great for the sport to a/ see a different champion from last year, and b/ for it to be teenager. I might even try again to pay for a subscription to actually watch the rallies this year.
    *Ogier is brilliant, and all praise to him for his achievements, but seeing him win makes me not want to watch WRC. he is just a big sourpuss. Hopefull we've seen the end of him. Is that wrong?

I agree with regards to Tanak. The drivers championship joint leaders are his team mate Neuville and Evans on 42 points, while Tanak has 20 as a result of his spectacular off in Monte Carlo, so he has put himself under pressure and whilst he has been good under pressure in the past, I think this year his team mate will place him under pressure. Hyundai aren't backward in using team orders to maximize points, so he needs to get ahead of Neuville in the points asap, to ensure the team use team orders against him. If Hyundai do resort to team orders I don't expect Neuville or Tanak to obey them so it could get interesting.

I don't think Rovanpera will be able to win the title this year. He will be new to number of the rounds this year, struggle a little at times. but he obviously learns quickly. I think he will produce some great results, in places such as Finland. He is from Jyvaskyla so he would have intimate knowledge of the stages there.
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information