WRC - 2020 - Latvala in a Toyota after all
  • Help

Default WRC - 2020 - Latvala in a Toyota after all

Latvala has confirmed he will be running a Toyota in Rally of Sweden and Rally of Finland. He is hoping to expand the campaign to 5 rallies, finances permitting.

Advertisement

There is a possibility of Toyota running a second team this year to accommodate Takamoto Katsuta, so who knows maybe Latvala will end up in the second team.

https://au.motorsport.com/wrc/news/l...yaris/4604276/
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Latvala's navigator will be J Hanninen who drove for Toyota in 2017. Hanninen has navigated for Latvala previously in smaller rallies in Finland. Latvala will be racing under Latvala Motorsport banner. The car will be a rented Toyota Yaris.
    Every day is a good day

“Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Latvala's navigator will be J Hanninen who drove for Toyota in 2017. Hanninen has navigated for Latvala previously in smaller rallies in Finland. Latvala will be racing under Latvala Motorsport banner. The car will be a rented Toyota Yaris.
    How do you think it works renting a WRC car which is always a good chance of catastrophic destruction?
    At ~ $1m a car, as I've read, someone is taking a big risk.

From what I have read, the cost of MSport for rental, with the crew, is around 200,000 to 250,000 Euros per event (far away event are probably bit more), but I am not aware who carries the risk of loss or damage and I am not sure if the Toyota is costing him more or less.

I read in the press comments by Toyota Corporation president Akio Toyoda encouraging Latavala to keep in touch, which I read as that perhaps he has a change of a drive in the B Team, Toyota are rumored to be setting up.
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

Must be a bitter pill to swallow, going from being paid heaps to drive, to paying heaps to drive.
    Toyota are certainly on a roll, and Toyoda and Makinen must be over the moon.
    And now the consumer benefits by being able to buy one of those red hot Yaris. Good result all round.

Still cannot for the life of me understand Tanak's decision. I read somewhere Ogier saying "we were all a bit surprised at him moving after winning a first championship with Toyota", or words to that effect. "surprised" is probably a significant understatement.

There's been lot written on the move in Finnish press, but hard to know how much of it is true. They range from Tanak's impossible demands, Tommi refusing to give him guarantee of number one status, to stories of Tommi not being the best of people managers, so who knows. However, leaving a team that has the fastest car after your first title going to a team who have not yet won the title and a team mate who is arguably every bit as quick as Tanak is, it's not a choice lot of people would have made. I wonder how big a bonus is riding on the world title?
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information