Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Every day is a good day

Every day is a good day

Yes, an exciting Practice session.
    Followed by an interesting Qualifying tonight. With LeClerc on pole, Hamilton second but with a possible penalty, Verstappen third. Bottas 4th or 5th. Vettel 10th, unfortunate minor car problem, couldn't get out for 3rd qual session.
    Renault's stuck in about 12 & 14 after both baulked on final quick lap of Qual 2. Why do they leave it to the last minute, literally? Maybe they weren't going to be faster anyway.
    Looking good for the race.

Enjoying Kayo, watching quali is something I haven't done for a while.

Ouch! A good deal of speed to carry toward a tyre wall.

Max was blaming wind for the offs, maybe he has something as the initial offs were somewhat similar, initially all 3 broke loose in the rear. It's unusually for three drivers from 3 top teams to have "similar" offs.
    Every day is a good day

Every day is a good day

And the race lived up to the expectation of an exciting and interesting one.
    LeClerc probably a bit unlucky not to win, but Verstappen also deserved it after pulling up from I think 9th place after a muffed start.
    Vettel also coming through from 10th on the grid, Bottas appeared to be just cruising all day, but that's obviously not the case, probably driving as hard as the car could manage without getting into trouble.

And the Verstappen/LeClerc incident towards the end. No penalty was a good decision I reckon. It made me wonder just what is the rule these days? Back in my early days of involvement (as pit crew, not driving), late 1960s and 70s and later, an overtaking car had to have its nose in front (ie, be fully past the other car, even by a small amount), as they entered the corner, then it had the right to take the corner (all of it) and the overtaken car had to back off and fall in behind, not continue around the outside. In the 1990s, in Australian racing anyway, this was changed to give the overtaking car the right to the corner if the front of the car was level with the 'B' pillar, ie, half-way past the car in front, which I always thought was a bit odd. When the mindset is "I must keep my foot down at all cost" by the car being overtaken, then they have to expect to be hung out to dry. I presume there is a written rule for this in F1, but I don't know what is the current protocol between drivers.

I just wish they hadn't shortened the old Austrian track years ago, it used to be a beauty in the 1980s.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Both the Mercs showed their archillis heel, they didn't handle the heat well, forcing the team to have to manage the heat which effected their performance.

Verstappen/LeClerc incident, I agree no penalty was the right decision. I wacthed number of replays of the incident including footage from Verstappens car. I was watching the front wheels of Max's car and imho MAx opened up the steering ever so slightly to make sure he pushed LeClerc off the track. The way F1 is played, nothing wrong with that, other than that on the previous lap I think it was, when Max was on the outside, LeClerc gave Max enough racing room to stay on track. I hope Max is man enough to keep his mouth shut next time, when LeCLerc punts him to the weeds, but we know that won't happen.

I am surprised how well the Honda engines seem to be performing this year.

McLaren seems to be improving also, although thats not hard from where they have been.

The Renaults are not quite where Daniel would like to be. Apparently the car can he quite difficult particularly under brakes.

Alfas qualified better, but they are having tyre issues, their tyres start to go off far too early losing pace, I believe the tyres build up too much heat.

Not much one can say about the Williams, sad to see a team with such fine history at the back of the field having it's own race and I'll be surprised if Kubica will have a drive next year.
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 5th July 2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Fordman likes this.
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information