F1 Driver Penalties together Regulations are killing the sport....
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rally
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: F1 Driver Penalties together Regulations are killing the sport....

Default F1 Driver Penalties together Regulations are killing the sport....

F1 bosses seem determined to ensure F1 Racing continues to be generally as boring as batshit. Handing out penalties during and after the race on the worlds safest and most unexciting French Grand Prix track must be the only way they can think of to distract fans from the sheer boredom of total Mercedes domination of the sport.

FFS, your admission ticket has "Motor Racing is Dangerous" plastered all over it, but F1 management and their stewards obviously don't want the drivers to know that with their latest round of penalties applied to Vettel, Perez and now Ricciardo during the Canadian and French Grand Prix.

I'm rapidly losing interest in a sport I have followed all my adult life, due to the constant interference with and to the rules, penalties, tyre and overall design concepts that do nothing to sponsor innovation and close racing and simply cement one totally dominant team into a permanent first place.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F1 Driver Penalties together Regulations are killing the sport....-penalties.png  
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 24th June 2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I encountered a new piece of bloodymindedness from CAMS yesterday at Sandown.

Apparently due to an official ‘nearly’ getting injured at Phillip Island recently (this was the explanation given), CAMS in their wisdom have decided participating cars are no longer allowed to reverse into or back out of pit garages using reverse gear. They must be pushed.

The officials on the day were only enforcing the law no matter whether it’s good or bad, but for Club level motorsport it seems excessive.
    Last edited by pgti6; 24th June 2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Extra Info
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

My cousin has just come back from the Ise of Man tt races and can't believe the exact opposite. He runs a big heavy superbike thing here and fully knows all about cams rules but the tt just blows you away.
    The only spectator rule is no part of you is on the track, officials check the crowd and make sure no ones toes are on the track, there's no saftey fence and the bikes are going past at 300kph. Your hair and your clothes will flap in the wind as they flash past about 1 meter in front of you.
    To them this year was a good event because only 1 person died.
    Just crazy stuff, imagine if cams or FIA got involved

This photo Greame took from where he was sitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

The only bit of real racing was the last lap when Danial caught the slowing Norris ,.
    Great and skillfull motor racing declared null and void by the stewards with a pair of calipers,
    Glad I am not directly paying to see the rule book race around.
    No one touched and they all finished , the Yanks like to say " if it aint rubbing it aint racing " how very different .
    cjl likes this.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

1000+ Posts

Time to promote more women drivers through to the podium give the fans something to argue about?

Daniel said he has some issues with his car, which causes difficulties under brakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RMBR79h444
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    F1 bosses seem determined to ensure F1 Racing continues to be generally as boring as batshit. Handing out penalties during and after the race on the worlds safest and most unexciting French Grand Prix track must be the only way they can think of to distract fans from the sheer boredom of total Mercedes domination of the sport.

FFS, your admission ticket has "Motor Racing is Dangerous" plastered all over it, but F1 management and their stewards obviously don't want the drivers to know that with their latest round of penalties applied to Vettel, Perez and now Ricciardo during the Canadian and French Grand Prix.

I'm rapidly losing interest in a sport I have followed all my adult life, due to the constant interference with and to the rules, penalties, tyre and overall design concepts that do nothing to sponsor innovation and close racing and simply cement one totally dominant team into a permanent first place.
    I agree generally.
    I don't like the mechanical penalties applied for engine/power/trans replacements. I understand it is an attempt to keep costs down for all teams, however it almost a no-brainer to see that the lesser teams with less to spend on these items, ie, not getting the best stuff, are the teams being penalised. I personally cant remember Mercedes getting put to the back of the field for replacing too many engines.

I also don't like the "non-driver" penalties affecting a race, eg, a mechanic drops a wheel nut and they get a drive-thru penalty (this may not be happening these days), but you know what I mean.

Of the recent penalties, I though Vettel was hard done by in Canada, just trying to retain control after re-entering the track, yes it baulked Hamilton but on the face of it, unintentional and unavoidable. Hard to judge, and with all the data they have these days, maybe he did make an extra little steering correction to block Hamilton.

However, the "track limit" penalties applied in France (Ricciardo) I think were a different matter. Ricciardo overtook Norris only by putting all 4 wheels off the track, which at that particular track has no bad effect on the overtaker (unlike a track with kerbs and grass), which would be why the authorities had made it clear they would penalise those going off-track. His actions also caused Norris to take his own avoiding action and lose places.

The old quote: "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile".
    Watch the Austrian GP tonight, see how all the drivers are now using all the ripple strips and more on every corner. They have installed extra yellow "sausage" speed-bumps on the corners, just outside the "all 4 wheels off" zone. The teams were complaining that these were damaging the front wings! I am not kidding, in practice and qualifying, the centre of the car was over the red/white ripple strip kerbs on most corners. I presume the actual edge of the track is supposed to be the white line inside the ripple strips.

Anyway, tonight's GP looks like being a good one, based on qualifying, let's see how it turns out.

Cheers.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I think there were 5 drivers penalised for the Austrian round before the race. A mix of penalties for impeding drivers on fast laps to penalties for replacing bits on cars
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Has anyone heard?

Did Verstappen get pinged for passing Leclerc? That would really make me switch off if he did.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

No, Verstappen not penalised. It was a good race.

1000+ Posts

And there's another thread that gives a more detailed analysis...

F1 - Austria 2019

Thread Information