• 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By Bustamif
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By pgti6

Thread: TCR - it all starts happening this weekend 18-19 May 2019

Default TCR - it all starts happening this weekend 18-19 May 2019

All you need to know about the new format of Australian racing:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/05/17...tcr-australia/

First race start Saturday 2.00pm (Sydney) broadcast live on SBS.

Advertisement

2 Renault Megane Sports entered by Garry Rogers Motorsport, with support from Renault Australia.

I see Jason Bright in a VW is entered - his experience cant be ignored - one to watch?

Cheers.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Live streaming all day via Shannons Nationals, and a blog already running today:

Live Blog: Sydney Motorsport Park ? Shannons Nationals

First practice with Hyundais top of list, and first 10 within 2 seconds of lap time.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Fellow Frogger!

First Practice saw Pither fastest of the two GRM Renaults. 8th fastest at 1.36.95.
    Fordman likes this.

COL

Good some motor sport that actually reflects what is being driven around the streets of Australia
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

So far no handicapped section for electric cars? that will come later, I wonder if artificial noise will be added.

Fellow Frogger!

Practice 2 later this afternoon saw Moffat in the second GRM Megane down to a 1.36.93. Hyundai I30N still fastest brand with a 1.34.63. VW Golf GTI down the back doing 1.39. 17 Cars is not bad for the first event.

I also see that the schedule of events this weekend includes that brilliant CAMS concept of Formula 4 to replace F. Ford. As predicted, it has achieved a poor grid with only 7 cars. Back in the day, a category with only 7 cars in the field would not be given a race at a state level event and certainly not awarded Australian Championship status.

The TCR event is generating a lot of public interest from people not usually interested in motor sport. I heard a young girl at the local cafe tell a co-worker that she was going to the races at Eastern Creek with her partner who owns a Subaru but she owns a Clio and will be cheering for the Renaults. Certainly not the type of conversation you normally hear these days!
    Last edited by Bustamif; 17th May 2019 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    So far no handicapped section for electric cars? that will come later, I wonder if artificial noise will be added.
    From what you can hear on video, TCR cars don't need a lot of decibel enhancement! I'm thinking that there won't be an all electric saloon car series any time soon unless they are all like this: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...dr/first-drive
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

What a nice field of cars! Thank god the taxis are gone. Too bad it's only in the eastern states (I guess we don't really have touring car tracks in this country).

Count me in.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Needs an update photo...

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    From what you can hear on video, TCR cars don't need a lot of decibel enhancement! I'm thinking that there won't be an all electric saloon car series any time soon unless they are all like this: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...dr/first-drive
    Only a mother could love that, not the best picture, you and I know a good car photographer that could take a better picture!!

Ken
    Kim Luck likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

In qualifying this morning Renaults 12th and 13th. Moffat on 1:35.9180 and Pither 1:35.9849.

The Honda Civic Type R on provisional pole with a 1:34.1437, notso (Jason Bright) second fastest in the VW Golf with 1:34.2948.

Molly Taylor is finding the transition from rally to circuit racing in a Subaru quite challenging, commenting on the different technique required to reach the level of accuracy needed for a fast lap.
    I guess the Scandinavian flick habit is washing off a bit of speed.

She did a
    1:37.4570 on her 4th lap, Andre Heimgartner in the sister car managed a 1:35.0107 in 5. She stayed out for 10 laps but did not go any faster.
    Fordman likes this.

Was a good watch for something different. Hoping it picks up more followers after each event. Camera work could improve also. Definitely more relatable than the V8 ‘Supercars’.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Full results including practices from Sydney here:

Natsoft Race Results

Click "Circuit Racing" then scroll down for the "2019 Shannon's Australian Motor Racing Nationals - Round 1" Click view and scroll to the TCR practices and races 1-3.
    Fordman likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Good event for a first up, with 17 cars on the grid.

I thought the first race (Saturday) was a bit flat, except for some good racing from the first 4 cars, quite processional, although I guess most of them were getting the feel of their new cars. Unfortunately, Moffat's Megane sets the record for the first DNF (DNS?) with an apparent turbo problem.

Race 2 on Sunday was much more lively, hard racing, good passing moves, hard fought positions throughout. Substantial changes to finishing positions, resulting in a new look grid for the final race. Err, Pither's Megane retires with an electrical problem.

Race 3 came to life. An exciting race, with many overtaking moves, some resulting in a bit of nudging, a few cars taking to the grass, and generally high spirited driving. Notably, Moffat in the Megane seemed to hit his straps about halfway through and began threading his way through the cars in front of him, a couple more laps I think would have seen him pick up another place or two, as they were pretty close in front of him. The other notable was Heimgartner in the Subaru, who had had a quiet run in Race 1, claimed to have sorted his gearchange problems by race 2 and coming through to 5th in that race. Starting from 5th in Race 3 he quickly moved through to second somehow, then while dicing for the lead suddenly disappeared, later revealed to be some sort of mechanical defect - one to watch (for some of us).

All in all, not a bad event.
    David M likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Fellow Frogger!

Agree that Moffat really put in a good drive in the last race once he came to grips with the dynamics of the Megane. Some good clean passes to move up the field and he then moved up to 5th after Morcom copped a penalty in the Hyundai for punting a few people off with some of his moves.
    Fordman likes this.

The fact is that there are only 4 of these TCR Meganes in the world and they are so new that they have only run one race in Europe and one race here. They did not arrive in Australia in time for the Winton testing so their drivers are probably lacking a little front wheel drive racing experience! They did a pretty good job first up!
    Fordman likes this.

Great to watch real racing in real cars. Better watch out Supercars will probably buy the series as it will threaten their contrived taxi racing

NT Reno

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    I don't have any interest in V8 Supercars, but I don't see why so many people feel the need to criticize it so. It isn't any more contrived than, say, F1, and those taxis are only a few seconds per lap behind GT3 cars, at Bathurst. And that, I would imagine, is only due to the 7500 rpm rev limit on them.

That aside, I agree that it is better to see real cars racing, save only that sometimes it shows one's personal favorites to not actually be the quickest thing on the road! My impression is, however, that there isn't an aussie viewership big enough to make this sort of series commecially viable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    Hi,
    I don't have any interest in V8 Supercars, but I don't see why so many people feel the need to criticize it so. It isn't any more contrived than, say, F1, and those taxis are only a few seconds per lap behind GT3 cars, at Bathurst. And that, I would imagine, is only due to the 7500 rpm rev limit on them.

That aside, I agree that it is better to see real cars racing, save only that sometimes it shows one's personal favorites to not actually be the quickest thing on the road! My impression is, however, that there isn't an aussie viewership big enough to make this sort of series commecially viable.
    I will disagree with you. V8 Supercars is propped up and kept popular by several major factors.

1/. It's management has totally taken over saloon car racing in Australia at the expense of any other tin-top category.
    2/. It's popularity is guaranteed by vast amounts of Advertising.
    3/. It's biggest race, Bathurst, has achieved Holy Pilgrimage status with the vast number of bogans that own or want to own a V8.

I'm old enough to remember the Armstrong 500's at Phillip Island, and production car racing. They were extremely popular. People liked the thought of seeing the actual cars they could buy and drive on the street being raced. The event was relocated to Bathurst, and for some time production cars and different engine size classes were the main feature, and it's TV coverage improved greatly. Who doesn't remember Datsun 1200's tearing down Conrod straight at 104 mph on black and white TV, wheels falling off everywhere? Then along came Harry Firth who influenced Ford to build a limited edition Cortina GT for the sole purpose of crossing the line first. And that, boys and girls is where the rot started!

Now fast forward to the 21st Century. TCR has arrived, not just in Australia, but world-wide. Some far sighted motor racing team owners and manufacturers have seen that the relationship between production type models racing each other and public acceptance is still valid, and in countries where motoring consists of economical cars with small engines then obviously sub 2 litre cars are the racing choice as well. The crowds that turn out for TCR in Europe are huge, as are the number of competitors. Our fields are currently limited to the original number of punters who signed up for the journey, but there are still a number of manufacturers not represented, and I'm sure that as the season progresses, the fields and fans will increase.

A big shout out to SBS for their decision to broadcast the TCR events, you can watch the series at home until it comes to a circuit near you. For Victorians, that's Phillip Island 6-9th June. Kill the Dinosaurs, long live TCR!

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    Hi,

I watched the Sunday TCR races. It will be interesting to see how they go. Apparently the crowds were decent.

I enjoy (or rather enjoyed) both F1 and V8 Supercars, but my interest has seriously vaned since all rounds are not available on free to view TV. I have thus far refused to pay subscription TV any more to get the sports channel. I do have Foxtel, but not the Sports package. My internet is so lousy (slow) that no point in attempting streaming, but I find it highly unlikely that NBN will be any worse than my current internet. I am hoping for an improvement with NBN and if that happens it will open the avenue for streaming and the dumping of Foxtel and other Telstra services.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Having been recently overseas at a TCR event, I was surprised to see the interest and the young demographic enjoying the day out.

Crucially perhaps, all the dealers where on site with the road version of the race car for punters to sit it, smell, poke and taste. The Hyundai stand more or less had there demo bouncing of the rev limiter all afternoon so the kids could here the crackle crackle pop pop! of the exhaust.

I wish the format well here, it was exciting overseas, no reason why it can't be here, proving a certain mainstream catergory doesn't get all jelous again and kill it like last time...

A bit of video on the Megane with James Moffatt:
    (I can only find it as a Facebook link)

https://www.facebook.com/TCRAustrali...445180781/?t=0

Ready for Phillip Island next week 6-9 June. Wonder how they will look there, its a big track.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

More TCR cars arriving.

Melbourne Performance Centre has ordered another 2 Audi RS3 TCR cars which are expected to arrive in Aust this weekend with the intention of running them in Round 2 at Phillip Island 7-9 June. Drivers yet to be announced.

Wall Racing has also added another 2 Honda Civic TCR cars to the existing 2 currently piloted by Tony D'Alberto and John Martin. Depending on arrival they could also be at the Island for R2. No news yet on drivers.

Potentially 21 cars on the grid.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan