Ricciardo, Renault, Melbourne GP this weekend.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 2 Post By Fordman
  • 2 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By Bustamif
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: Ricciardo, Renault, Melbourne GP this weekend.

Default Ricciardo, Renault, Melbourne GP this weekend.

Team Renault with local boy Ricciardo about to make its debut in this weekend's F1GP. I am a bit surprised this hasn't created interest on AF except for last year's announcements.
    Although I would like to see both Renault and Dan R. improve their positions in the hierarchy, I don't expect any miracles. The obvious forecast is that Renault will benefit more from the new pairing than will Ricciardo, but who knows. I think these days it is more about the car than the driver, but with Red Bull changing engines, it seems likely they will drop back if anything.
    So let's see what the new combination can do, and good luck to the partnership.
    My interest has been somewhat revitalised.
    🏁🏁????
    Cheers.

Advertisement
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Mine too.

Renault car and a local lad.

Whatever his placing , i hope he beats the red bull!!!
    Jo
    Fordman likes this.

Free to Air:
    Friday Practice live on 10 Bold.
    Sat incl Qualifying live on Ch 10.
    Sun all day live on Ch 10.

2004 WRX (Sunday car)

To add to interest, Merc weren't up to speed in winter testing. I think they had trouble understanding some of the apparent inconsistent handling traits, perhaps aero problems???

Ferrari was the pace setter in Winter testing.

Alfa, formerly Sauber has made big steps forward and is expected to be a big improver. Don't be surprised if Alfa was quicker that Merc.
    Fordman likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

A very sad twist before the race even starts:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...iting/10900496

watching Netflix's F1 doco - Cyril Abiteboul's assertion Renault is 'the largest car maker in Formula One' must include 'allied' Nissan/Mitsubishi ($189.8 billion US vs.Daimler-Benz $188.4, Fiat Chrysler $110.9.) noting Infiniti logo on his uniform.
    Is this reflected in either sales (volume or value) by brand / brand association or public perception though?
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 15th March 2019 at 01:47 PM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    A very sad twist before the race even starts:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...iting/10900496
    Sad and 66 is too young to go!

Does anyone else in Melbourne think there is a lack of advertising and promotion, seems to be getting swamped by other world ?? events.

Ken

Saturday Qualifying over, and Dan probably a bit disappointed with 12th for the GP tomorrow. Teammate Hulkenberg in 11th, so probably par for the performance of the Renault cars. Somewhat predictable results except new boy Norris qualifying in top 10. Hamilton on pole.

Renault Australia getting very good exposure, many yellow caps in the crowd following Ricciardo, and a Renault safety car out on track for at least the support races.

And there is something going on about Dan Avocado (?), I didn't catch the origin of it but he was talking to a 5 yr old kid, and someone was waving an avocado about. Quite funny.

2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
    watching Netflix's F1 doco - Cyril Abiteboul's assertion Renault is 'the largest car maker in Formula One' must include 'allied' Nissan/Mitsubishi ($189.8 billion US vs.Daimler-Benz $188.4, Fiat Chrysler $110.9.) noting Infiniti logo on his uniform.
    Is this reflected in either sales (volume or value) by brand / brand association or public perception though?
    Groupe Renault became the world's largest car producer last year outselling both Toyota's group and VW's group. Renault's products include Dacia, Lada, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Samsung Motors as well as Renault and Alpine. Renault invented the gearbox, followed by the turbocharger way back in 1902, and celebrated 120 years of production in 2018...............
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Maybe i'm splitting hairs but i saw the Regie as 'allied' having merely acquired a stake in Nissan (and by extension Mitsubishi) rather than merged, so that is a bit of a stretch.

To be fair then, leave Fiat (wholly owns Alfa, has a 90% stake in Ferrari) aside.
    Honda ($139.4 billion US revenue) too.

My point, absurdly reduced, was - insofar as marques in F1 and on the streets -
    wouldn't there be more Mercedes than Renaults?

AFAIK;
    Renault ($58.8 ) has a 43.4% stake in
    Nissan ($110.5 ) which owns 34% of
    Mitsubishi ($20.5)

nb my source may be out of date - it has VAG $265.7, Toyota $260.8 ...

ps Lada being AvtoVAZ?
    Last edited by fnqvmuch; 17th March 2019 at 03:24 AM.
    grandC4picasso RHB, [email protected] , EGS6Sp, B58, MY 2012-2013 (?)

Are you aware that Mercedes and Renault-Nissan also have an alliance?

https://www.enginetechnologyinternat...lass-2018.html

And in other news: The British invented it back in the sixties, their industry went broke and the rest of the world has taken up the invention. Yes folks, it's called "Badge Engineering!"
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 17th March 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Well, a sad start to the season for the "Honey Badger", now renamed the "Concrete Culvert Badger"..............
    Fordman likes this.

Well, that's it for the first GP of 2019.
    No real surprises in teams performances, except I noted the McLarens have dragged themselves up from the back of the field (or is that because I haven't been watching for a while?). Also the Haas team right up there as well with the Renaults.

And Bottas, what happened there, with Hamilton unable to match his pace - just everything going right for Bottas on the day - he even seemed quite surprised himself. And setting the fastest lap just before the end, for an extra point, he enjoyed that.

Bad luck for Dan, he is right in saying you wouldn't expect a ditch at that place on a GP track. Here's hoping for a good year ahead for Team Renault.
    Kim Luck and Wildebeest like this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Well, that's it for the first GP of 2019.
    No real surprises in teams performances, except I noted the McLarens have dragged themselves up from the back of the field (or is that because I haven't been watching for a while?). Also the Haas team right up there as well with the Renaults.

And Bottas, what happened there, with Hamilton unable to match his pace - just everything going right for Bottas on the day - he even seemed quite surprised himself. And setting the fastest lap just before the end, for an extra point, he enjoyed that.

Bad luck for Dan, he is right in saying you wouldn't expect a ditch at that place on a GP track. Here's hoping for a good year ahead for Team Renault.
    Shame about Danny finding a pothole so close to the racing surface. I imagine the organisers will cop bit of heat over that one.

McLaren, Haas, Renault and Alfa are likely to be the teams fighting for the crumbs behind the three top teams.

Hamilton had minor damage to one of the underneath corners of his car as I understood it.

Bottas on the other hand, has been subject of lot of criticism, unfavorable team orders and bit of bad luck . He has been reportedly working hard in the off season to prepare for this year, both mental and physical preparation, but Bottas has always been fit. I think he just needs a bit more mongrel in him and maybe even ignore team orders, but pick and choose when/where. In practice he was only a whisker off Hamilton's pace and when Hamilton got out of the car after final qualifying he said he was shaking, so Bottas was pushing him all the way. Time will tell, but I think if Bottas can win the mind games (himself, I don't mean with others) he might have a chance of doing better this year. If he doesn't improve on last year, I am not sure he will have a seat with Merc next year.

Pity the Williams are so far off the pace and I was hoping better from Kubica on his return. I respect the effort he has put in to get back, but he needs lot more pace and learn to avoid the pit walls.
    Fordman and Kim Luck like this.
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

In motorsport, the harder you work the luckier you are. I believe the media demands/commitments for the Australian round had an impact on Dan's pre race prep. I have often noticed when I was competing or in later years doing a track inspection, most of the drivers in the top half of the field will often be seen riding a bicycle or walking sections of the track in the days before the event, particularly street circuits because they are temporary tracks set up by contractors each year.

The top guys are the ones that often have that "unfair advantage", slight edges in knowledge or prep that the others don't have. Apart from all the other commitments, maybe if Dan wasn't trying to throw Renault advertising merchandise over the debris fence before the race, he may have had time to take a good look at the run to turn one from the right hand side of the track where he was gridded?.
    Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    In motorsport, the harder you work the luckier you are. I believe the media demands/commitments for the Australian round had an impact on Dan's pre race prep. I have often noticed when I was competing or in later years doing a track inspection, most of the drivers in the top half of the field will often be seen riding a bicycle or walking sections of the track in the days before the event, particularly street circuits because they are temporary tracks set up by contractors each year.

The top guys are the ones that often have that "unfair advantage", slight edges in knowledge or prep that the others don't have. Apart from all the other commitments, maybe if Dan wasn't trying to throw Renault advertising merchandise over the debris fence before the race, he may have had time to take a good look at the run to turn one from the right hand side of the track where he was gridded?.
    I'm not sure the roadside furniture he hit is a feature of any other circuit I can think of and the organisers should be called out for leaving a potentially deadly obstacle so close to the track, and if you aare putting shite on Dans's professionalism, I think you are well out of order!
    Fordman and dmccurtayne like this.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Bottas it was reported, has had to diet to get to weight in previous years but this year the driver weights are raised 5kgs. So suits him and the taller drivers who can get to peak physical condition now. The lighter ones have to add ballast which must be fitted to the cockpit and not low for any co'g advantage.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with Dans post race comments which indicate that his new Renault PR minders did not create a schedule with adequate time for the type of pre race preparation required in F1. Nothing wrong with Dans professionalism or level of commitment but he needs a higher level of knowledge in the new minders.

Considering Kimi has to be woken from his slumbers to get into the car I'm wondering just how much pre-race preparation is required? I'm pretty sure they've all raced here before, it's just that no-one's clouted that culvert before.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Considering Kimi has to be woken from his slumbers to get into the car I'm wondering just how much pre-race preparation is required? I'm pretty sure they've all raced here before, it's just that no-one's clouted that culvert before.....
    We are all different. I used to find that the last ten percent in poundage (when lifting weights) came from the head space. I used to be able to get to that space reliably by psyching up, but one of my mates could switch it on like a switch and go from cracking jokes on the phone to making a lift. Kimi' preparation involves rest and finding that very relaxed headspace to do well. It would be a mistake to assume it is not part of his race preparation.
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 19th March 2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Every day is a good day

More on the damage to Hamilton's car

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...ralia/4355058/
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    More on the damage to Hamilton's car

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/h...ralia/4355058/
    Poor Darling! I enjoy every race that Hamilton does NOT win!

I used to think the same, ever since he (in my mind deliberately) rammed Kimis car in the pit lane all those years ago, but I am slowly coming around. If it was between Vettel and Hamilton, I would prefer to see Hamilton win.

For those who missed it the first time

Every day is a good day

Thread Information