• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By pgti6
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: Free to Public Supercars final testing P.I. 14 Feb

Default Free to Public Supercars final testing P.I. 14 Feb

This may well be a wasted post on A/Frogs as interest in motorsport has fallen away in recent years, but Iíll give it another chance to garner some interest.

Iím not really a fan of the Supercars calendar especially in the last few years with questionable categories like StupidUtes and Stadium trucks, etc.

However there is a glimmer of hope and interest may increase this year with 2 new categories-S5000 open wheelers and TCR 2000cc sedans & hatches (no French cars at this stage).

Next Thursday is a free to the public test day at Phillip Island of the Supercars which includes the Ford replacement of the uncompetitive aero design of the FG/X Falcons compared to the latest Opel/Holden. The Mustang should have a better aero parity to the hatch derived Holden.

Iíve never spent the $100+ to attend a round or the Championship and will most likely watch the infrequently televised events but this year might (just) have something better to pique the interest of Ozzie fans.

Advertisement

I may even post some pics if thereís any interest in this post.
    Codman and Fordman like this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Looking forward to s5000 are the stadium trucks still banned by cams but if a shitshow there.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Stadium trucks are still no go for cams, but AASA, QR, are still happy to have them here.

Yes to the S5000's and Touring cars!!

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Motorsport and particularly sedan car racing died when Supercars hijacked motor racing in Australia. When Bathurst ran a slew of categories of genuine production cars for the 500 it held the interest of ordinary people. Supercars appears to be popular now only with bogans and others who own V8's with extra loud (read illegal) exhausts or those who aspire to own one. These people appear to have inbred in plague proportions.

For mine, the Bathurst 12 hour race provided more variety, more entertainment and the result was never a foregone conclusion.
    And bring back real production cars to Australian motor racing.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 9th February 2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Armidillo and cjl like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Supercars appears to be popular now only with bogans and others and own V8's with extra loud (read illegal) exhausts or those who aspire to own one. These people appear to have inbred in plague proportions.
    tell us what you really think Kim

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

So different from when they were cars built from cars the same as in the showrooms. Now they're like grown versions of the Aussie Racing Cars with look alike panels pop riveted onto a custom tubular race chassis. I was looking at photos of the new Mustang that was given its first test this week and to me it looked like the proportions were all wrong.On the other hand it has become a race series between teams and driver personalities. The racing is closer but its relevance to factory cars is gone. Which is preferable, I don't know or care to think about.

tell us what you really think Kim
    This discussion is taking place on a French car forum.....so I don't think my life is at risk....
    dmccurtayne likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    So different from when they were cars built from cars the same as in the showrooms. Now they're like grown versions of the Aussie Racing Cars with look alike panels pop riveted onto a custom tubular race chassis. I was looking at photos of the new Mustang that was given its first test this week and to me it looked like the proportions were all wrong.On the other hand it has become a race series between teams and driver personalities. The racing is closer but its relevance to factory cars is gone. Which is preferable, I don't know or care to think about.
    Agree with all that, but the Armstrong 500, which preceded the Bathurst 500 by three years, instigated by Jim Thompson and Ron Thonemann was run exclusively for Australian made or assembled sedan cars. It wasn't long before renowned rule bender Harry Firth had managed to get a special version of the Cortina (Ford Cortina GT 500) made just for the race and it's all been going slowly downhill since then!

The Mk.I Ford Cortina GT 500
    dvr likes this.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I tried to buy one back in the 70's. Couldn't get the $1000 needed. What are they worth now? What's $1k in 1972 worth now?

COL

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    I tried to buy one back in the 70's. Couldn't get the $1000 needed. What are they worth now? What's $1k in 1972 worth now?
    $10,300
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Another of those great "if only...".

Thread Information