• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By speaksgeek
  • 1 Post By speaksgeek

Thread: Peugeot 206 GTi 180 back on track

Fellow Frogger!

Default Peugeot 206 GTi 180 back on track

After two years off the road getting various upgrades, the 206 has returned to the track and performing better than ever.

It's had two shakedowns at Winton, a practice day at Wakefield (my first outing there) and this last weekend I spent Sat and Sun at Phillip Island for the PIARC Super Sprints. Set a new PB of 1:55.92 and I can still see some room for improvement.

Winton
    https://youtu.be/ud0RKNk642A

Phillip Island
    https://youtu.be/CtPEP4TjTZM

Advertisement
    pgti6, SLC206, bluey504 and 1 others like this.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Tadpole

Looking good mate.

Seriously interested in the data logging/display setup etc you have. I assume it is not just expensive but tricky to install? Will get around to PM'ing you at some point to ask more about it. We are currently a long way off anything like that in our car as has spent the last 2 months having the cage installed & now waiting for a replacement windscreen as it cracked when attempting to put it back on after the cage was finished.

If you aim to get down to Wakefield again, please let me know as will try to get there at the same time to meet & learn some things!
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS spec roll cage
    15" C5 Wheels with Toyo R888R's 195/55/15
    Slotted & Dimpled Rotors with Track Pads
    SAAS Race Seats with 4 Point Harnesses
    SAAS Steering Wheel
    Oil Catch Can
    Gloss Anthracite Grey Car Wrap (Base) + Sponsors Logos
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans
    Spax PSX, Strut Tops, Oil Cooler, Torsion Bards, Sway Bars, Strut Braces, Full Exhaust, Cams, LSD, Probably a lot more

Sponsors
    Enso International
    BenjiDean
    Dashing Print
    HVG
    SassArt
    FlashCo

Awesome mate! Sounds rad, loving the wheel!

Whats the plan for events next year?

Cam

Fellow Frogger!

That's a shame about the windscreen. I had a new one installed with electric heating element, only to have two decent stone chips put in it in the last two track days.

The data setup not really difficult, but it is expensive. The camera is an AIM Smartycam HD with GPS08 antenna. https://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/en/products-all.html
    It's one of the more affordable options for cameras that can put a live data overlay on the video. The other main players are VBox and Motec. It's only 720p, but the overlay is pretty good, and it avoids weird vibrations you often see on GoPro and similar cameras. It talks to the GPS and Dash to get it's data to overlay, and also start and stop recording at appropriate times.

You could probably hook it up to the stock ECU over OBD and get the basic info, while retaining the factory dash etc.
    https://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/d...II_102_eng.pdf

I didn't do that. I stripped the whole wiring loom, and had a pro level lightweight loom made up. It cost vastly more than the car is worth. I've been to many track days where people have upgraded the engine first, and are trying to make everything else work with it. They end up with dodgy electrics and it flows onto the reliability of the expensive engine.

The loom has got three CANbus networks in it. One for the ECU, dash, and telemetry to talk to each other, one for the power controller, dash, control buttons, and one which is the AIM devices, dash, camera, GPS, telemetry to talk to each other.

CAN was a bit daunting at first, but having played with it now for a while, it's pretty logical and easy to setup the protocols to send and listen to each other. Having devices (ECU, dash, power controller, telemetry) that are flexible with CAN made it all pretty straight forward - although I do work in IT, so maybe a bit of a headstart.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdandan View Post
    L
    Seriously interested in the data logging/display setup etc you have. I assume it is not just expensive but tricky to install?...
    now waiting for a replacement windscreen as it cracked when attempting to put it back on after the cage was finished.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, the buttons work wheely well.

I haven't decided next year, sort of waiting for the various calendars to be released. It's IPRA logbooked now, so I just need my licence and I can do IPRA and/or Under 2L sport sedans. It's also been setup with an eye on the 300k enduros.
    I might just spend the year trying to win some sprints and get myself confident at all the main tracks. Still haven't made it to Mallala, The Bend, SMSP, or QR. Unfortunately Sandown is out now, at ~92dB it's too loud for most of the days that run there with a 75dB limit.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Awesome mate! Sounds rad, loving the wheel!

Whats the plan for events next year?

Cam

Love it. Impressed with how cool your water temps sit on the track!
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Yeah, the buttons work wheely well.

I haven't decided next year, sort of waiting for the various calendars to be released. It's IPRA logbooked now, so I just need my licence and I can do IPRA and/or Under 2L sport sedans. It's also been setup with an eye on the 300k enduros.
    I might just spend the year trying to win some sprints and get myself confident at all the main tracks. Still haven't made it to Mallala, The Bend, SMSP, or QR. Unfortunately Sandown is out now, at ~92dB it's too loud for most of the days that run there with a 75dB limit.

Fantastic. We are planning to do a few slrints this year also with our eye on a 300 race if all works out.

Would you come up for an even at SMSP as we would live to get down to Phillip Island at some point.

Fellow Frogger!

Would you come up for an even at SMSP as we would live to get down to Phillip Island at some point.
    Certainly would. Have trailer, will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    Love it. Impressed with how cool your water temps sit on the track!
    I’m a bit worried it’s too cold. Even checked the temp sensor calibration again to be sure.
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.

Tadpole

Fantastic. We are planning to do a few slrints this year also with our eye on a 300 race if all works out.

Reckon there would be enough interest to hire out SMSP for the day between us here & maybe some other clubs/friends etc? I have a few contacts there so could see what the cost would be?
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS spec roll cage
    15" C5 Wheels with Toyo R888R's 195/55/15
    Slotted & Dimpled Rotors with Track Pads
    SAAS Race Seats with 4 Point Harnesses
    SAAS Steering Wheel
    Oil Catch Can
    Gloss Anthracite Grey Car Wrap (Base) + Sponsors Logos
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans
    Spax PSX, Strut Tops, Oil Cooler, Torsion Bards, Sway Bars, Strut Braces, Full Exhaust, Cams, LSD, Probably a lot more

Sponsors
    Enso International
    BenjiDean
    Dashing Print
    HVG
    SassArt
    FlashCo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cptdandan View Post
    Reckon there would be enough interest to hire out SMSP for the day between us here & maybe some other clubs/friends etc? I have a few contacts there so could see what the cost would be?
    There's a few on here who might come along, also I'm in contact with a guy who regularly organises race meetings at SMSP. Can't imagine it's cheap.

Thread Information