• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: Service crew required for Monaro Stages 20th October

VIP Sponsor

Default Service crew required for Monaro Stages 20th October

I am entered, along with Brian Ward as codriver, in the Monaro Stages, NSW state championship round and East Coat Classic Series round starting and finishing in Cooma. We will be driving my 309 GTi16 in revamped form, looking forward to seeing how it goes with more torque and lower gearing.
    Problem is that the servicing will be in Bombala with no chance to get fuel, spare parts etc there without someone to take them for us. If anyone in the Canberra has a spare day available and would like to see this event from close up, please get in touch with me, your help would be appreciated. Spectating will be entirely possible too.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Graham, we're running so if noone fronts up my crew should be able to double up.

Cheers

Jim

VIP Sponsor

Great, thanks Jim. I might get you to bring down a BA7/4 gearbox from Colin if that's OK.

Fellow Frogger!

No worries

Fellow Frogger!

Graham, we have a couple of sets of your brake pads. Will discuss how to return them in due course.

Cheers

Jim

VIP Sponsor

Thanks Jim, yes, remembered on the way home today, particularly interested in the Yellow Stuff rears! I'll PM you with my address.

VIP Sponsor

We had a fairly good result, 25th out of a combined field of over 40 State Championship, East Coast Classic, Clubman and various other club series competitors. We had a trouble free run but it was the first time I had driven the 309 since the Rally of the Ranges in July. I had taken off the Jenveys and fitted a standard inlet manifold in an attempt to get more torque, also advanced the inlet cam and fitted a lower, 4.8, final drive ratio. It felt great on the road, but how was it going to go on a stage? First two stages were ultra fast and open, so hard to tell how fast we were going and when we should start braking, but we were certainly using the higher gears more often than before. After a service in Bombala we set off to some Pine Plantation stages, unfortunately though there was a downpour just as we started the first of the group of three resulting in immediate fogging of the windscreen and consequently a poor time. We did quite well in the next two stages, although tippytoing whenever there was red clay, but appreciating the power and gearing alterations when there were well surfaced gravel roads. After returning from the next service to repeat the three stages we were informed the next two stages were to be cancelled and to proceed to the start of the third. Then after a long wait in terrible conditions a reroute was issued but after around 5 cars had started the stage the event was abandoned and we all returned to Cooma. The event concept was great and it was a pity that the rain laid some of the plans to rest. Thanks to all in the LCC of Canberra who had worked for the past year to get the event up and running. It was great to rally in a pine forest again, Hancocks the plantation owners don't allow this in Victoria.
    The changes have improved the car but missing a bit of power at full throttle higher in the revs, although dyno results seem to show otherwise. It is awesome at part throttle. It does have a corrugated plastic connection from TB to Aircleaner, only short but the corrugations may be having an effect, was removed for the Dyno tune after it affected the power readings although it was a fair bit longer then. I'm going to try a silicone hose tomorrow, may be squashed a little against the Astra PS pump but better than the corrugations I guess. Also may pull back the inlet cam timing by a degree. The 4.8 final drive is fairly noisy, anyone have experience with this? It was from Pug1Off.
    Kim Luck and calgooley like this.

I did catch a 15 second glimpse of the mighty 309 in action near the third spectator point out of Bombala. I observed it didn't make as much noise as a lot of the others. Maybe it needs a megaphone exhaust as well?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

VIP Sponsor

It has the CAT still attached as the Victorian Rally Panel adopted this requirement for PR reasons, nothing inside it though. I may remove it (I think everyone has forgotten about the ruling now, and it won't do a thing on a competition car) and also go to a bigger engine pipe, has a modified 205 GTi one at present, could go one size bigger. Exhaust is 2.5 inch otherwise. Car was a lot noisier with the Jenveys but didn't go as well.

Exhaust restriction is an important part of performance modifications. The relationship between back pressure and torque is very important. If you make your exhaust too big you may lose torque at your desired RPM's....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Exhaust restriction is an important part of performance modifications. The relationship between back pressure and torque is very important. If you make your exhaust too big you may lose torque at your desired RPM's....
    Something else to think about!
    I fitted a better inlet hose today, may have a made a small improvement. Also checked the inlet cam timing advance, the tuner had it on max, about 7 or 8 degrees, so have backed it off to 5. Will test drive tomorrow.

VIP Sponsor

Seems to have a made a difference, I will check/modify the rev limiter settings tomorrow, then that will do it for the engine until the next rally in a few weeks. Next job is to service the front struts and finish off cleaning the dried up mud off it.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Something else to think about!
    I fitted a better inlet hose today, may have a made a small improvement. Also checked the inlet cam timing advance, the tuner had it on max, about 7 or 8 degrees, so have backed it off to 5. Will test drive tomorrow.
    calgooley likes this.

VIP Sponsor

Ran in the George Derrick, a Victorian Championship event on the weekend. Engine is going great, but now need to improve my driving a bit to match, although we had a couple of fast times on the gravel hillclimb sub event which I know well. Ran over a rock, dragged out into the middle of the road on the second forest stage, which didn't help things. I think the sub frame is bent slightly, I will be pulling it out and checking against a known good one, will most likely straighten it then maybe reinforce it a bit. Not too much as I don't want the shell to get the hit instead.

Thread Information