• 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 3 Post By Bluey
  • 1 Post By pgti6
  • 1 Post By bowie
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By COL

Thread: TCR Series locked in for Oz

Default TCR Series locked in for Oz

TCR is booming globally, with the category – which features front-drive, production-based touring cars powered by 2.0-litre turbo engines – already running in the US, Europe and Asia.

TCR regulations dictate body and suspension layouts of the racing cars must mimic their road-going siblings, with many manufacturers also using a production gearbox.

The 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engines of TCR cars are limited to 257kW and 420Nm.

Advertisement

Might see some involvement from at least one French manufacturer?

Full story here:
    https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/TCR...ed-in-for-2018
    dimistyle and Dano like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

I'm surprised this got off the ground. V8 Superc........excuse me, Supercars as they are now known have invested heavily in moving to the 6cyl turbo drivetrain. I'm surprised they haven't tried to crush this. I hope TCR runs as the head category in the CAMS Nationals series rather than as second fiddle to the stupidcars as it would complement the Australian Manufacturer's Championship, i.e. Production Cars.
    Last edited by Bluey; 28th June 2018 at 10:43 PM.
    Kim Luck, bowie and Dano like this.

The series could be good to bring on many new entrants. Costs are relatively low and most brands have some exposure to WTC. Alfa (1750cc) and Peugeot/Citroen (1600cc) will be behind the eight ball if the don't get a BOP (Balance of Performance) weight compensation against all the other players who run with 2 litre engines.
    Reminds me of Super Tourers from days gone by with some thoughtful regulations.
    Dano likes this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 172hp atw

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

But what about Improved production.

Nah this category would be great.

Actually yeah.

https://youtu.be/xZqUdsNsR6s?t=6m17s

it's touring cars with elbows
    Last edited by bowie; 28th June 2018 at 11:20 PM.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    Apols if I am being a bit dense, but is this the same series which was called WTCC overseas?

Andy

WTCC is dead. It died in it's 13th season in 2017. The regs are different for TCR.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 30th June 2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

How about these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TCR Series locked in for Oz-tcr-megane.jpg   TCR Series locked in for Oz-tcr-megane-2-.jpg   TCR Series locked in for Oz-2018-peugeot-308-tcr.jpg   TCR Series locked in for Oz-peugeot_308_mk2_tcr_2018_1000_0001.jpg   TCR Series locked in for Oz-citroen-c3-max-1.jpg   TCR Series locked in for Oz-c3tcr.jpg  

Hyundai seem to be the Team to watch, based on results so far.

https://www.hyundai.com.au/hyundai-i...sults-round-up
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    How about these?
    I like the Renault Sport livery
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Some developments but not much more than the official "announcement".
    https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/06/29...s-development/

Any privateers over here are going to be looking for cars with track record overseas. Having said that, No one here will have suitable setup data as Australian tracks are much rougher and require softer shock & spring settings and higher ride heights.

Manufacturers over here are only going to participate if they have a popular model in the market, i.e. VW Golf, Audi A3, Hyundai I30, Toyota Corolla.

You won’t see Peugeot or Citroen. Inchcape are too busy sorting out their own problems to even consider it. They are all about selling cars they have imported, not about building brand Kudos. Same with the importer of Alfa Romeo.

Renault Megane doesn’t have a solid market presence like the Golf or A3 and a smaller engine. I can’t see anyone picking one to race.

I doubt Subaru will do anything given their rally commitments and they’re more likely to back Molly Taylor in an Asia-Pacific Championship attempt, like they did Cody Crocker, rather than change to a format in which they have no experience.

Holden & Ford won’t commit to anything outside of supercars.

Driver’s will be in last year’s car from Europe, much like the super tourers. Gentleman racers rather than pro drivers, at least initially. Each round will cost a driver $20k-$80k depending on where they want to be on the start grid.

First year will have small grids obviously. 2nd year grids will increase exponentially. The success of the third year will tell whether the series has longevity. Manufacturers should start getting involved at this point. 5 years is a long time to carry out a contract on a fledgling category in a country that has traditionally shunned any type of touring car that makes Australian Manufacturers cars look inadequate.

VIP Sponsor

Asia pacific is near dead, only one serious entry and one or two others!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ..................................Manufacturers should start getting involved at this point. 5 years is a long time to carry out a contract on a fledgling category in a country that has traditionally shunned any type of touring car that makes Australian Manufacturers cars look inadequate.
    As there are no Australian manufactured cars left to make look inadequate the category should appeal to all the overseas manufacturers represented here, as it has in two other continents.

Holden and Ford are supplying cars from the same diverse countries as everyone else's and whilst their names have a special kind of magic sentimentality for people who wouldn't know a car from a urinal, the sales of other brands in Australia indicates that the market has become much more competitive and we know that competition and success on the race track can increase sales. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday!

The organisers will be working flat out to get a field together here and judging by the videos of racing in Europe the TCR series looks full of excitement. As the FIA series is officially known as World Touring Car Racing and four races are currently held in Asia (Ningbo, Wuhan, Japan and Macau) an Australian race is not out of the picture in the future.

We don't build or race Formula 1 cars in Australia (except for one race a year) but plenty of people go to watch!

VIP Sponsor

Be alright without the turbos, need the sound!
    TCR is booming globally, with the category – which features front-drive, production-based touring cars powered by 2.0-litre turbo engines – already running in the US, Europe and Asia.

TCR regulations dictate body and suspension layouts of the racing cars must mimic their road-going siblings, with many manufacturers also using a production gearbox.

The 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engines of TCR cars are limited to 257kW and 420Nm.

Might see some involvement from at least one French manufacturer?

Full story here:
    https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/TCR...ed-in-for-2018

COL

Holden and Ford are supplying cars from the same diverse countries as everyone else's and whilst their names have a special kind of magic sentimentality for people who wouldn't know a car from a urinal, the sales of other brands in Australia indicates that the market has become much more competitive and we know that competition and success on the race track can increase sales. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday!
    If this were still true they would still be making Falcons and Commodores because they would be selling them by the thousands because these two brand win most of the Bathurst 1000 races and the Supercar Championships.

Instead we have mainly Asian cars on our roads with a smattering of European cars and the odd Falcon and Commodore.
    1972Ren likes this.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

How old are you, Col? There were only three cars of any importance sold in Oz; Valiants, Kingswoods and Falcons...don't you remember? and they did sell them in their thousands.....

Fellow Frogger!

HI,
    and then they went bust and stopped making them, despite still winning on Saturdays.

Thanks
    Andy

COL

How old are you, Col? There were only three cars of any importance sold in Oz; Valiants, Kingswoods and Falcons...don't you remember? and they did sell them in their thousands.....
    That was then, this now.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

And now, VW, Opel, SEAT, Audi and others think winning a few races might help them sell cars, do you think? Or do they just have skin in the game for charity?

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Ren View Post
    HI,
    and then they went bust and stopped making them, despite still winning on Saturdays.

Thanks
    Andy
    That ignoble set of circumstances probably had to do with their propensity to stick their hands out for fast disappearing government subsidies even though they were winning on Sundays...........

COL

And now, VW, Opel, SEAT, Audi and others think winning a few races might help them sell cars, do you think? Or do they just have skin in the game for charity?
    Don't get me wrong Kim, I think it would be good to see this series here but you need to be realistic.

We already have a domestic series which in my opinion does not really represent what is for sale in the show rooms, so this new series will have to compete against that for drivers, sponsors, audience etc.

Its like all the codes of football that we have here in this country competing against each other with our small population.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

I've never been a fan of the Bathurst 1000 since it was taken over by the V8 dinosaur brigade. It was more fun with a heap of classes and makes. A series with half a dozen almost road spec car makes all competing closely should appeal to most people who don't equate noise with power, speed and refinement. I hope it does well!

Same. Production cars, as a category is much more interesting to watch then the semi pro v8 one make malarkey.

But speaking of the production cars category, I hear the money cap is changing from $160,000 ticket price down to $100,000 ticket entry price. Ie. all those super cool $$$ exotic things that would dominate are no longer gonna play.

Oh well suppose it's start once more for the Evo Rain

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Thread Information