• 8 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 3 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 1 Post By nauli
  • 5 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: Adelaide Rally this week.

VIP Sponsor

Default Adelaide Rally this week.

I am taking the 309 GTi16 to Adelaide tomorrow to compete in the bitumen Adelaide Rally, 250 cars entered, many of these touring but I am entered in the top competition class. Looking for a reliable run, the last misfire ( the third one) was traced to a faulty injector. Brakes should be OK finally, after getting Project mu Club Racer pads at a cost of $500 for the front, you can actually lock the wheels now!!
    Not expecting to be all that competitive, for example we will probably be the only ones running on road tyres (finishing off a set of RE002s that I've had for a while), but the car will look great and has an awesome intake roar from the ITBs. Peter Male is also entered, in a 405 Mi16. The event is based in Victoria Park and loops out into the hills each day with various closed road stages and also runs at Collingrove on Thursday and Mallala on Friday. Give me a call on 0429 939619 if you want more details.

Advertisement

Have a good run. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

Best of luck Graham, a weekend free from mechanical issues will be the best bet, get confident in the car for 2018
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

If you get into any trouble graham, drop me a line if you need to borrow any parts. Ill be out taking pics during the weekend. Hopefully youll get some rain, these roads are that much better when wet.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I drove Adelaide to Melbourne yesterday and there was an endless amount of race cars heading west. No frenchies, but noticed four or five Toranas and a purple Lambo.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I am taking the 309 GTi16 to Adelaide tomorrow to compete in the bitumen Adelaide Rally, 250 cars entered, many of these touring but I am entered in the top competition class. Looking for a reliable run, the last misfire ( the third one) was traced to a faulty injector. Brakes should be OK finally, after getting Project mu Club Racer pads at a cost of $500 for the front, you can actually lock the wheels now!!
    Not expecting to be all that competitive, for example we will probably be the only ones running on road tyres (finishing off a set of RE002s that I've had for a while), but the car will look great and has an awesome intake roar from the ITBs. Peter Male is also entered, in a 405 Mi16. The event is based in Victoria Park and loops out into the hills each day with various closed road stages and also runs at Collingrove on Thursday and Mallala on Friday. Give me a call on 0429 939619 if you want more details.
    The guy who bought my 2006 Subaru STI Spec C tarmac car in October is running it in the competition class....his name is Richard Lovell. Also another couple of friends from Perth running - Blaise Paris (Porsche in competition) and Michael Broughton (Porsche 356). Have fun...it looks like a great event.
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

VIP Sponsor

No problems at all yet, except Adelaide traffic!
    Car is flying and driver is getting better, we had an awesome run up the Corkscrew this afternoon. Mallala this morning was a lot of fun, much better than Sandown and no oil pressure problems although spent the first couple of corners peering at the recently installed super bright oil pressure light.
    Pretty sure one of the Porsches from WA is being driven by Daniel Riccardo's father, Joe.
    The event finishes with a run around Victoria Park track late tomorrow afternoon.
    Codman, CEyssens and Kim Luck like this.

congrats on the car and driving running well, sounds like an excellent weekend.
    I spotted this online

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24799582_1183765001768393_3426875029537564977_o.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	101816

No problems at all yet, except Adelaide traffic!
    Car is flying and driver is getting better, we had an awesome run up the Corkscrew this afternoon. Mallala this morning was a lot of fun, much better than Sandown and no oil pressure problems although spent the first couple of corners peering at the recently installed super bright oil pressure light.
    Pretty sure one of the Porsches from WA is being driven by Daniel Riccardo's father, Joe.
    The event finishes with a run around Victoria Park track late tomorrow afternoon.
    Yes, one of the WA Porsches is indeed driven by Dan's dad Joe. I also see that some other friends of mine are entered in historic competition - Simon Gunson and Jurgen Lunsman in the Perana.
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS

VIP Sponsor

Having seen the results I'm most disheartened, close to last on all tests even the ones that seemed near perfect, I certainly won't be going anywhere near bitumen competition in the future. Also the 3 J plate diff seems to have chucked it in, different clunks and bangs now, Quaife to be fitted, it will be MUCH nicer to drive then.
    Edit: Having a think over dinner tonight I think getting rid of the 3 J is a good idea in more ways than one. You are fighting it all the time on stages (exciting but slow it seems) and it is impossible to drive quickly and smoothly on public roads, any power at all sees the diff locking giving understeer or excessive turn in at larger angles of lock.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 9th December 2017 at 09:51 PM.

Still rad to see a 309 fanging around the place

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

VIP Sponsor

On the plus side the brake pads were fine (Project Mu Club Racer) and no wear, important as they cost $500 just for the fronts They don't work when cold, will heat up enough halfway through a stop though. If you thinking of doing away with your booster this is what you may have to fit. Standard Valeo pads with a booster still work better. Also had a look at the results of the Monaro Stages Rally which was done with little brakes and the times look fine so the car will continue to be seen in competition on gravel.

Having seen the results I'm most disheartened, close to last on all tests even the ones that seemed near perfect, I certainly won't be going anywhere near bitumen competition in the future. Also the 3 J plate diff seems to have chucked it in, different clunks and bangs now, Quaife to be fitted, it will be MUCH nicer to drive then.
    Edit: Having a think over dinner tonight I think getting rid of the 3 J is a good idea in more ways than one. You are fighting it all the time on stages (exciting but slow it seems) and it is impossible to drive quickly and smoothly on public roads, any power at all sees the diff locking giving understeer or excessive turn in at larger angles of lock.
    But some very competitive cars in front of you...don't be disheartened...it's about fun!
    Dano likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS

VIP Sponsor

Yes, an overreaction after 3 days of hard driving. Couldn't expect any better really, without pace notes, local knowledge and running 6 year old RE002s. Best memories are pulling high revs in 3rd and 4th around uphill sweepers, the engine goes really well for what is just a standard XU9J4 with ITBs bolted on. Lacking in tighter corners though, trying to keep up the revs in 3rd. New engine will have modified cams but higher compression so hopefully the torque won't suffer.
    Main thing is that the car was reliable, so next years gravel events will see a steady improvement.

Graham, I know a knee surgeon in Adelaide that gets new, pre-shaved competition tyres at about $1000 each for every few events on his 911 Turbo and that is the type of thing you were competing against. They would all be behind you on gravel...
    S3 205 GTI x 5
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

VIP Sponsor

Yes, we were close to a "John Cooper Works" Mini for much of the event which had the tyres and Pace Notes so not too bad really. Even the MGB was a heavily worked V8, which reminds me that it was really bad sitting behind cammy V8s on the start line belching out fumes. I was wondering why the Mini was so keen to start behind us every time!
    Trouble is that as motorsport has shrunk the lower levels of the sport have disappeared leaving only the big spenders.

Fellow Frogger!

Trouble is that as motorsport has shrunk the lower levels of the sport have disappeared leaving only the big spenders.
    True, on bitumen, in every part of the world. With the introduction of the 1982 to 1988 cars in the historic group, there is such huge discrepancy between the cars that there is little hope for the underdog. The last historic event in Greece was won by an inept driver (I am not being unkind, quite possibly the opposite) piloting the ex. Delecour Sierra seen here:
    François Delecour & Ford Sierra Cosworth Group A '92 - YouTube

I was going flat out in the Works coupe and made very few mistakes, still got bit by nearly half a minute. The Gordini's and Celicas were not even in the same postal code.

Things do change on gravel, but you still have to work really hard to best mega bhp and 4WD.

Fellow Frogger!

Graham, our reflection after the Alpine was the same. As you know we are still Kugelfischer injected and I looked under the bonnet of the other 504 to see throttle bodies, individual coil packs, modern ECU etc........ Not the same game, the difference in the so called classics from the 70s and 80s is astounding.

VIP Sponsor

We have a thing in the HRA called the Standard Car Challenge. I run a stock 205 Si in that which is very competitive. So far there hasn't been too much ramping up of the speed, because the events are low level so you don't need a cage and also some include navigation.
    CEyssens likes this.

Thread Information