WRC - Rally car for sale
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: WRC - Rally car for sale

Default WRC - Rally car for sale

Mads Ostberg's this years Ford Fiesta WRC will be for sale, fully rebuilt and race ready fro 575,000 Euros

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRC Fiesta.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	101551

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

VIP Sponsor

imagine the maintenance bill, the plastic bits cost a fortune and in rally Aus needed replacement regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    imagine the maintenance bill, the plastic bits cost a fortune and in rally Aus needed replacement regularly.
    I can't even imagine that sort of money. I read on some forums where someone claimed R5 car could be rented from around 80,000 Euros per round, depending who the driver was. I would not surprises if WRC car operating costs were 2 or 3+ times that amount. The purchase price of that car translates to over $900,000 Oz dollars for a car that finished the season in 15th place (I think Ostberg missed Monaco, Mexico and Australian rounds). The front runner cars are rarely if ever available.
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 25th November 2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Edit
    Every day is a good day

Wasn't the new format 'aiming' to contain costs?
    So the new format of Group B 'light' still has Group B 'heavy' prices?
    Whilst the cost of homologation is 'pricey' the halcyon days of the late '80's and early '90's when there was Group N and A cars kept the fields full. 1989 1000 Lakes had 200 entries, mostly in various 205's!
    The FIA should stop making the assumption that motorsport is only for the elite...Lionel Messi has just signed a contract for the five years worth $835 Million, not bad for kicking a bladder full of wind! (Aside: Possibly the GOAT player IMHO)
    Brendan.

Apart from the fact that against the clock 4WD rally cars are faster than 2WD rally cars, they are certainly not any more spectacular. You or I probably can't tell the difference if a car is passing you at 130km/h or 160km/h. The only way to rein in car costs is to go back to 2WD. To make it even more interesting, leave the engine position free and ensure the vehicles are a little more representative of their production model, because after all, that's what the public buy. They don't sell millions of Ford Focus RS WRC cars to the general public, because the car is heavily modified from the production version, with which it shares only the basic shape and some parts of the bodyshell, so it's pretty much a case of false advertising.... I also don't personally give a shit how far some drivers can jump a car, as long as they look like they are trying, and their stage times are worth more than their air time.
    Dano likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Apart from the fact that against the clock 4WD rally cars are faster than 2WD rally cars, they are certainly not any more spectacular. You or I probably can't tell the difference if a car is passing you at 130km/h or 160km/h. The only way to rein in car costs is to go back to 2WD. To make it even more interesting, leave the engine position free and ensure the vehicles are a little more representative of their production model, because after all, that's what the public buy. They don't sell millions of Ford Focus RS WRC cars to the general public, because the car is heavily modified from the production version, with which it shares only the basic shape and some parts of the bodyshell, so it's pretty much a case of false advertising.... I also don't personally give a shit how far some drivers can jump a car, as long as they look like they are trying, and their stage times are worth more than their air time.

I was at Rally Finland in 2015 and certainly on the some of the fast forest sections, it was just one flash and the cars were gone, followed by shower of rocks and dust cloud. If I got my sums right, at 160 kmh, the car is travelling at 44 m/second, I am sure on the first fast section I was on, the cars were gone in 3 to 4 seconds. That was a lot of hiking to get to the good spots for very little action.

I am all for 2wd drive, I would expect slower, but more sideways rallying. To me in rallying sideways, rather than blinding speed is more spectacular.
    Every day is a good day

VIP Sponsor

Group B? That was 30 years ago.
    I thought the ARC was great with the 2wd formula, inspired me to build the 309. It got less great when the Citroens appeared with the turbo engines, sounded as boring as an Evo. Now back to 4wd and incredibly boring, I have no interest at all and entry numbers have faded to nearly nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Wasn't the new format 'aiming' to contain costs?
    So the new format of Group B 'light' still has Group B 'heavy' prices?
    Whilst the cost of homologation is 'pricey' the halcyon days of the late '80's and early '90's when there was Group N and A cars kept the fields full. 1989 1000 Lakes had 200 entries, mostly in various 205's!
    The FIA should stop making the assumption that motorsport is only for the elite...Lionel Messi has just signed a contract for the five years worth $835 Million, not bad for kicking a bladder full of wind! (Aside: Possibly the GOAT player IMHO)
    Brendan.

To bring the cost into prospective at the 1991 Rally Australia the Lancia factory team had three cars running.
    The total cost was $2.3 million dollars for the event!
    Five star hotel accommodation for 52 people, some for 14 nights. Truck rental and fitout; at least three identical spares 'motherships' and a twin engine aircraft so they had uninterrupted radio transmission.
    Break out the accountants to give a 2017 dollar figure....this was Group A not B.
    Formula 1 spend massive amounts of money off the track, Group B p!5sed it against a tree in the forest. The Audi budget was 'alleged' to have been greater than half the F1 field back in '83.
    Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    To bring the cost into prospective at the 1991 Rally Australia the Lancia factory team had three cars running.
    The total cost was $2.3 million dollars for the event!
    Five star hotel accommodation for 52 people, some for 14 nights. Truck rental and fitout; at least three identical spares 'motherships' and a twin engine aircraft so they had uninterrupted radio transmission.
    Break out the accountants to give a 2017 dollar figure....this was Group A not B.
    Formula 1 spend massive amounts of money off the track, Group B p!5sed it against a tree in the forest. The Audi budget was 'alleged' to have been greater than half the F1 field back in '83.
    Brendan.
    If the budgets were skyhigh, it appears the Group B cars were much closer to F1 pace than they are today:- https://www.redbull.com/au-en/henri-...oring-the-myth
    Every day is a good day

This event was an epic but uneven battle fought on some seriously rough Scottish roads between the best of the 2WD's and the new Audi 4x4. Who needs four wheel drive to look like you are trying?

http://www.facebook.com/70srallyvide...2620259350409/

"I left my braking a little late...." Ari Vatanen
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information