Conditional Motorsport
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Fordman

Thread: Conditional Motorsport

Default Conditional Motorsport

Lets talk about Australian Design Rules!

With the renault having rego, the capacity of driving to and from track events is getting closer.

Advertisement

With it's sole purpose to be a cheap track car, I'm now at the stage where I can start to think about things I can take of it / make better, so that it still qualifies with it's ADR requirements for rego purposes whilst giving me the most fun on the cheap.

Investigating the conditions for the CVS rego, in effort to understand the what changes can be made legally, I've been directed to the second edition ADR which covers vehicles from 69-88

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...tion_adrs.aspx.

I'm currently interested in interior modifications and I can't see a control listed there apart from seat belts, sun visors, and the front windscreen.

Do I dare assume without a document present to control, I'm free to remove / change the side windows (delete / plastic), leave the interior stripped of carpet and even remove the window mechanisms, door handles etc etc.

Also there is no document to control for dashboards other then requirements of instrument visibility?

A rear 4 point roll cage to accommodate a harness also seems a none issue providing I don't interfere with occupant ingress / egress, along with the main hoop being 150mm away from "a head" in a seat at it's furthest back position.

And this is easily organized once I change the seating capacity to 2 or 1 for that matter by removing the affected seats and seat belts. (see page 57 https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...Jan2011_v2.pdf)

This doesn't seem so scary?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

To clarify. First correction should read that I need to account for (ARD's + VSB14).

Back to reading VSB14.

Wait! the VSB14 is really providing an interpretation of what will be acceptable within the ARD guidelines right?

Looking at the ARD second edition, where does it cover holes in the floor?

https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...tion_adrs.aspx

There must be some "state" regs I'm missing here?
    Last edited by bowie; 13th November 2017 at 04:45 PM.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

Go back and look at VSI 6
    I think you'll find if you remove the rear seats and seat belts to accommodate the roll cage for example, you will need to have it engineered as a 2 seater which is an expensive exercise if not difficult.

I would get all you mods wanted listed down, and go talk with your club registrar after doing your current research as you are.
    KB

In my experience - ADRs are not meant to cover the whole car (eg, holes in floor). They are Design Rules for manufacturers to standardise on safety requirements for particular areas of the vehicle, and only take effect when written into the State Motor Vehicle legislation for each state. So the state authorities generally have their own way of by-passing some of the ADRs for low-volume production and modifications. They may/will require the vehicle to comply "in principle" with an ADR, but cannot make it comply, only the manufacturer can do that.
    So your State regs are the way to go. And if that makes it difficult, then unfortunately that is why we have the regs. These days there seems to be a reasonable tolerance of modifications, but one has to accept that one cannot modify everything to make the car competitive on a race track.
    It has always been my advice to young guys getting into the sport, get a trailer, and build a proper car for the track. It will be much faster, cheaper, and you won't have road reg problems. Also at the first race meet, you can get the car home after it's first rollover.

dvr, Bustamif, Kim Luck and 1 others like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)
    2003 BA wagon LPG (For Sale)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    In my experience - ADRs are not meant to cover the whole car (eg, holes in floor). They are Design Rules for manufacturers to standardise on safety requirements for particular areas of the vehicle, and only take effect when written into the State Motor Vehicle legislation for each state. So the state authorities generally have their own way of by-passing some of the ADRs for low-volume production and modifications. They may/will require the vehicle to comply "in principle" with an ADR, but cannot make it comply, only the manufacturer can do that.
    So your State regs are the way to go. And if that makes it difficult, then unfortunately that is why we have the regs. These days there seems to be a reasonable tolerance of modifications, but one has to accept that one cannot modify everything to make the car competitive on a race track.
    It has always been my advice to young guys getting into the sport, get a trailer, and build a proper car for the track. It will be much faster, cheaper, and you won't have road reg problems. Also at the first race meet, you can get the car home after it's first rollover.

Very very sound advice. A dedicated car for the track will be faster and cheaper no question - 100%

When you apply the basic principal for a car intended for the track, starting with a production car and remove or replace anything that does not make it handle better, accelerate faster, stop in a shorter distance and protect the driver if you roll over or crash, you will create a car that cannot be road registered.
    Last edited by Bustamif; 14th November 2017 at 02:52 PM.

Icon6

G'day,
    Don't forget that full harness seat belts have an expiry date. Are there any full harness belts designed for road use ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?
    "Well, you got to die sometime. You may as well be doing something you enjoy when you're doing it, right?"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    Don't forget that full harness seat belts have an expiry date. Are there any full harness belts designed for road use ?
    The 4 point belts from the suppliers in Qld I found through here on AF, www.seatsafe.com.au comply but I don't think the proper racing 6 point harnesses comply. There is a long list of similar safety equipment, performance equipment and modifications necessary for racing that are not acceptable for rego. Brake components including balance bars are another problem as well as some race seats.

As I interpret the rules as regards ADR and seat belts, (from my reading many years ago) 4 point harnesses have to have a single latch mechanism to be legal, and the car would have to be built before 1974 (I think) to actually fit these and have them legal, as later cars need inertia reel front belts to comply. In a later car that you want to keep legal, the bolts with ring heads can be used so that the 4 point harness can be clipped in at the track on the day.
    6 point harnesses certainly hold you in better, and stop you from needing to keep pulling down on the shoulder straps as you go around the track, usually ending up with the lap section up at your diaphragm.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

My vague recollection thinks that ADR compliant harnesses need to be 2" webbing. A lot of Motorsport approved harnesses are 3"
    On my R10 I ran non-inertia seat belts with the eyelet bolts Alan Moore mentions to clip in a 6 point 3" harness when required. This was a quick release multi-point one in that case so not going to be ADR.
    KB

Yes happy to turn up to an event and bolt in a harness if required. I've seen to many accidents with shit street cars to not want a harness, proper seat, some kind of roll bar.

I think I can get all that done without ruining rego. Harness can be bolted in for the track day, as can the seat if necessary, but a couple of the seats I have been looking at have ADR stickers on them anyay. And as for the roll bar, a 4 point cage behind the driver should still be ok providing It is measured correctly away from the drivers / passengers seat, once giving up the rear seats.

It all seems do-able honestly.

Fellow Frogger!

As Jeremy Clarkson says before the next big adventure, How hard could it be ?

If it's that easy then Bowie, just go do it.
    KB

Move to Adelaide, no yearly inspections, do what you want till they pull you over.
    Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island___1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove______38.08
    Wakefield Park_1 09.46 (Parry's car)

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/frogstomp_racing

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frogs...40210462834261

Victoria and Adelaide have it sorted.

In the mean time, I've found a spot at the members Track day at SMSP on the 27th November. We'll see what falls off it then.

Good Good Good

Thread Information