F1 - Alonso to miss Monte Carlo
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alexander

Thread: F1 - Alonso to miss Monte Carlo

Default F1 - Alonso to miss Monte Carlo

Alonso will miss Mote Carlo this year to drive at Indy 500 in Andretti Motorsport car, powered by Honda. The team won Indy last year. Alonso has said he will continue the rest of the F1 season normally.

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

"Hmm what should i do? F1 or Indy?". Tough choice!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

I'm a big fan of Alonso and followed his two WDC for Renault when the GPS were free to air. Remember that?
    He has no realistic chance of another GP win this season let alone another championship. For him to take one race out for the season to attempt the second leg of the triple crown is a bold but worthy thing to do.
    Widely regarded as the best driver on the GP grid Alonso has the chance to cover himself in glory (no doubt his modest aim) or fail. It is unlikely that he can win in a car he has never driven against experienced Indy car pilots. Points for trying to further immortalise his legacy.

Alonso is on contract until end of this year. Bottas is on one year contract with Mercedes. What are the odds that Merc will approach Alonso for a contract for next year? Not saying that Alonso will end up at Merc, but Lewis is making plenty of noise about what a great fit Bottas is for Mercedes, I wonder why? If we thought Lewis v Rosberg as team mates was interesting, we ain't seen nothing yet if that happens. I say bring it on and watch the fireworks.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

haha 'a great fit for Hamilton', i would think...
    less cynically, two title contenders on the same team can, as has been seen, cause distracting and destructive trouble for the team.

oddly, the F1 site doesnt include Alonso's name in the driver standings. am i missing something? i guess that is because he hasnt even finished a race, to achieve a 0 points status.
    Last edited by alexander; 13th April 2017 at 09:15 PM.

He is non-finisher in the first two races with Lance Stroll. Could it be said that Stroll is in good company.
    Every day is a good day

Jenson Button will fill in for Alonso at Monte Carlo
    Every day is a good day

Banned

"jensen, are you busy on sunday week?".
    "nah, dont have anything planned".
    "do you think you could drive for us at monte carlo? there is a slab and a gorilla in it for you".
    "THERE WITH BELLS ON MATE!".
    Kim Luck likes this.

It probably doesn't make much difference who drives the McLaren, if Alonso cant get it in the points, the replacement is unlikely to do any better and if it worse, who will notice.
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    "jensen, are you busy on sunday week?".
    "nah, dont have anything planned".
    "do you think you could drive for us at monte carlo? there is a slab and a gorilla in it for you".
    "THERE WITH BELLS ON MATE!".

P.S: Regarding your tagline.....“Opium is the perfect drug for people who want to remain articulate while being completely trivial.” Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day

and Bahrain Practice 3 starts in five minutes on pay TV.......
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 15th April 2017 at 10:57 PM.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post

P.S: Regarding your tagline.....“Opium is the perfect drug for people who want to remain articulate while being completely trivial.” Tony Kushner, A Bright Room Called Day
    it worked for ST Coleridge.
    i must say i wouldnt have thought an opiate would make people articulate. my life experience suggests opiate users tend to lie around doing and saying little, whereas a different substance definitely does make people verbosely articulate about shyte.

Banned

Back on Alonso...

as i read it, Alonso is getting bored and emotional about his career twilight slipping away in a team where the car is preventing him even getting in the points. so mclaren has agreed/ suggested he drive in Indy for a bit of glory.

so he is going to turn up, with no experience in Indycars or on a 350km/h banked racetrack and just give it a go. what could go wrong!?

i realise the F1 fraternity love him and his sexy name, and never stop reminding us that he is one of the best drivers for decades, but i reckon it takes a bit of experience to race at Indy safely let alone competitively. F1 is one thing, but driving at that speed on the oval, in a 350km/h swarm, where an injudicious throttle tweak can send the car/s spinning like very high speed skittles, is an acquired skill. ie acquired over a longer period than a couple of days of pre race practice. the risk of spectacular failure seems quite high. likely outcomes seem to me to be a/ running way down in the field b/ crashing the car c/ crashing the car and taking out alot of others too. OTOH he might nail it, and i hope he does, but he could end up looking like an utter chump and seriously damaging his brand, so to speak.

i saw christian horner describe the situation as 'mclaren have a depressed driver on their hands and are trying to keep him motivated'. he then said Alonso needed to see a psychiatrist for wanting to do this (figuratively). Indycar drivers' reactions i saw on youtube were highly respectful, but one of them said he initially thought it was an April Fools joke. reading between the others' lines i would say they are quietly very doubtful about the idea. i can well imagine that despite being chuffed at such a big name mixing it, they would also be quite peeved if he could just blow in and cut it! i got the idea they dont think that is going to happen. we shall see!

interestingly, the indycar drivers didnt seem aware that he is only doing it out of desperation for lack of results in F1. they seemed to think it a big deal to not drive at monaco, in favor of indy. like he is really giving something up.

to be fair, indycars does strike me as the V8 supercars of the USA; lots of racing dynasties where the drivers are often blokes with connections, or money, or dads and uncles with experience, and not ones who got there by winning multiple competitive race series. but surely they have some special skills when it comes to this sort of racing?

Fernando... remember what happened to Kubica (and Kimi for that matter) when he tried WRC.... Or Loeb when he tried WTCC and WRCC... it aint that easy.

Thread Information