4/ Raikkonen 1:32.140
    5/ Ricciardo 1:33.033
    6/ Massa 1:33.507
    7/ Hulkenberg 1:33.580
    8/ Perez
    9/ Kvyat
    10/ Stroll

Hamilton on pole.

Vettel seconds, beating Bottas by slimmest of margins .001 seconds.

Advertisement

First four cars are within half a second of each other.

Stroll put the car into tenth place in qualifying in his second race, that is fairly impressive.

Renault in 7th, that looks promising, although the time is shade under 2 seconds slower than Hamilton

Verstappen 19th, had engine problem, he was down on power.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Race started on a damp track, but the rain held off during the race.

Bottas spun behind the pace car warming his tyres. Finished the race in 6th. Not a great performance.

Stroll had an accident early and failed to finish.

Verstappen drove well from the rear to finish 3rd ahead of Ricciardo in fourth place. He made good progress early in the race in the damp conditions.

Alonso drove well into the points until mechanical gremlins stopped him.

1/ Hamilton

2/ Vettel

3/ Verstappen

4/ Ricciardo

5/ Raikkonen

6/ Bottas

7/ Sainz
    Every day is a good day

Banned

comments..
    *given the current depth of ability and the teams in which they drive, it isnt looking like ricciardo is going to see much F1 glory in his career..

*the Stroll/Perez shunt. i see they were blaming each other, but my view of the video makes it look like Stroll moved across and hit Perez with the side of the car. ie he just didnt see Perez beside him. i note that Stroll said (initially anyway) " i was hit from behind", when that is plainly not the case.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    comments..
    *given the current depth of ability and the teams in which they drive, it isnt looking like ricciardo is going to see much F1 glory in his career..

*the Stroll/Perez shunt. i see they were blaming each other, but my view of the video makes it look like Stroll moved across and hit Perez with the side of the car. ie he just didnt see Perez beside him. i note that Stroll said (initially anyway) " i was hit from behind", when that is plainly not the case.
    Ricciardo will do fine. If you watched the race you wouldve seen that after his pitstop when he added more front wing and reeled in Verstappen very quickly. He was just suffering massive understeer in the first stint and destroyed the front tyres...

He has had a difficult start to the season, but has looked quicker than Verstappen for Significant amounts of both race weekends so far...

Some days are diamonds...
    Last edited by mistareno; 11th April 2017 at 12:44 PM.

I agree. Its nice to see Max making big moves from the back. If it was any of the 'top 6' cars (or alonso) the same thing would have happened.

Dan has the experience and as Webber put it 'composure' to stretch the whole season. Once Red Bull work out that last few percent of the car both Max and Dan will be up there.

Kimi was stitched up by bad calls at Ferrari. It was a clear favouritism to Vettel. They lost good points being conservative on the second stop.

Looking forward to racing agin this weekend. Although 1am Monday morning kick off is a bit much. Ill be camping anyway!
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Kimi was stitched up by bad calls at Ferrari. It was a clear favouritism to Vettel. They lost good points being conservative on the second stop.
    It was worse that it looked on the edited TV vision I saw on free to air. I read on Finnish media the full text of the radio conversation between Kimi and the pits. Kimi had a long exchange which amounted to virtually pleading to come to pits for new tyres as his front tyres were gone and under-steering badly.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    Ricciardo will do fine. ...
    i was thinking more generally about his prospects for a championship.
    he is unquestionably competent, but to win a championship you essentially need to be the best driver in the fastest car that year.

my feeling is that means he has to get into the fastest car and not have hamilton or verstappen as a team mate. likely not vettel either. it is hard to see that circumstance occurring.

i guess at 27 yo, he is about half way through a realistic career, so there is some time for the stars to align, but it seems like an outside chance at this point.

Administrator

he is unquestionably competent, but to win a championship you essentially need to be the best driver in the fastest car that year.

my feeling is that means he has to get into the fastest car and not have hamilton or verstappen as a team mate. likely not vettel either. it is hard to see that circumstance occurring.

i guess at 27 yo, he is about half way through a realistic career, so there is some time for the stars to align, but it seems like an outside chance at this point.
    Yeah, I agree it doesn't look likely this year, as the Red Bull is clearly the third fastest car atm.

On the plus side, Renault is expected to bring a substantial power unit upgrade before Europe iirc, and if both Ferrari and Merc keep take races of each other, they may still be within reach (points wise) if and when Red Bull gets their act together on the chassis.

If that happens, the Melbourne disaster may still end up coming back to haunt him, as if he is still behind Verstappen in the points and its a mathematical possibility for Max to win, then Danny may be told to play backup...

It's interesting that Red Bull are struggling with lack of rear end down force.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...bebd749e3390a9

Apart from all of the above, little luck can also make all the difference think of Bradbury ... err I mean Nico Rosberg last year, number of engine failures for the star and his performance was good enough to take the title.

As much as I don't personally like Max Verstappen, he is unbelievably quick for someone so new to F1. It will be interesting to see how much he improves in the next year or two.

Lets not forget that Ricciardo put Vettel to shame in his first year with red Bull, so he is also a suberb driver. It could get VERY interesting at Red Bull
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 12th April 2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added link
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information