Autosport calls Kalle Rovanpera rallying prodigy - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Autosport calls Kalle Rovanpera rallying prodigy

Kalle cleaned up the first two stages on Friday of the Mikkeli round of the Finnish Rally Championship with a lead of 12.7 seconds. A solid start for the youngster.

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Third stage was run this morning. Kalle suffered a puncture and lost some 30 seconds, putting him in third place, about 18,3 seconds behind the lead. Six more stages to go, interesting to see if he can claw the time back.

Early reports indicate that Kelle's presence has attracted record crowds.

The rally has 146 cars competing in various classes and enthusiastically driven Audi Quatro ran the course ahead of the 0 car making music.
    Every day is a good day

Kalle Rovanpera won his first round of the Finnish Rally Championship run in Mikkeli on Friday and Saturday over 9 psecial stages. The win margin was 10.7 seconds. He manged the win despite loosing 30 seconds on SS3 due to a puncture. This makes him the youngest winner the Finnish Rally Championship has had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harri win.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	93916
    Every day is a good day

Some in car footage from SS4 of the Rally

Every day is a good day

Banned

outstanding!

Very, very impressive; thanks for sharing. Having experienced special stage rallying in similar conditions in Canada and the Monte Carlo more than 30 years ago I can appreciate this kids talent. Keeping the foot down on those very fast sweepers on ice takes talent and courage.

I read an interview with his manager in Finnish media today. This is what he had to say (paraphrased)

Apparently he is committed to the Latvian series this year (I assume sponsorship arrangements), but he will do selected rallies in the Finnish Championship to build experience. The Mikkeli round is apparently technically quite difficult, which is the reason it was chosen. Whilst the exemption to contest at 16 in Finland has been issued, the conditions of the exemption do not permit the accumulation of points in the Finish Rally Championship, hence the reason for doing carefully selected rallies in Finland to maximize building his experience.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Whilst the exemption to contest at 16 in Finland has been issued, the conditions of the exemption do not permit the accumulation of points in the Finish Rally Championship, .
    oh come now. even people open hearted enough to let a 16yo compete, dont necessarily want to be thrashed by one!
    Last edited by alexander; 28th February 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Banned

i see there is a 16yo in V8Supercars (alex rullo), and he was racing last year as well.
    not at the front of the grid, admittedly, but not a bad effort none the less.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Default Kalle in a Peugeot 208 in 2017

Kalle will be competing in a Rally series in Italy this year in class R5 Peugeot 208. The aim is to gain bitumen rally experience.
    Every day is a good day

Kalle started his first bitumen rally on Friday. He is currently 7th, 5.8 seconds behind the leader but ahead of his team mate who is 9 times Italian Champion Paolo Andreucci. He is running some tar tops rallies in Italy for Tar top experience in a Peugeot 208 T16.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

KR was top 10 for each of most of the early stages, but seems to have had a big shunt in stage 7 (time of ~13 mins vs 2+ mins for the rest). then not in the results till stage 14 where he was 7th. results for stage 15 just posted by he isnt in the list. meantime, his team mate seems to have been doing very well but has DNFd stage 15. that is all as best i can understand the results.

Rally il Ciocco e Valle del Serchio 2017 - Informazioni e risultati | ACI Sport

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    KR was top 10 for each of most of the early stages, but seems to have had a big shunt in stage 7 (time of ~13 mins vs 2+ mins for the rest). then not in the results till stage 14 where he was 7th. results for stage 15 just posted by he isnt in the list. meantime, his team mate seems to have been doing very well but has DNFd stage 15. that is all as best i can understand the results.

Rally il Ciocco e Valle del Serchio 2017 - Informazioni e risultati | ACI Sport
    Mrs had me busy on the weekend, that and poor memory so I hadn't checked the results until now.

On the 6th Stage Kalle hit stone wall and damaged the rear suspension. He could not continue to service point. After 5th stage he was 9th some 38.5 seconds behind the leader. Sunday he was able to continue under the special rules, but a puncture slowed progress. It's all experience.

His team mate had engine failure three stages from the end.

Simone Campedelli in Ford Fiesta R5 won the rally
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 5th July 2017 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Every day is a good day

Young Rovanpera won another round of the Finnish Rally Championship in Kouvola by 27.7 seconds. He was driving Toni Gerdenmeister's teams Skoda Fabia R5.
    Every day is a good day

Plans for Kalle to drive in the Rally of GB this year. Finnish Government has issued special permission for him to get a drivers licence at 17 (normally it is 18 yrs), which will be before the the Rally of GB.

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...ally-gb-debut/
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,
    I can't say I know much about this young bloke, but it sounds like he is doing very well for such a young'un.

You have to a little laugh that his government has made a special rule to give him a driver's licence early, because he is really good at driving extra fast. Great that they did, but it has a funny side.

John

Teenager Rovanpera set for multiple WRC rounds, BRC season in 2018 - WRC - Autosport

Mr Wilson seems to have noticed the kid. They are hoping to arrange 6 WRC races for nest year, not mention which category or car as yet. Also hoping to do the BRC campaign.
    Every day is a good day

Kalle recently tested the M-Sport Ford in Wales. Wilson was on the spot to see the young man for himself. He said he is only 16, but looks more like 12 or 13, but he found it unbelievable the level of technical understanding he has at 16 in giving feedback and what effect setup changes had.

He is expected to drive in WRC round in Wales later this year after he has turned 17.
    Every day is a good day

Kalle placed third in the final round of the Latvia Rally Championship, winning the title. He made two silly mistakes, firstly he took the wrong route and the second time jumped the start. His errors earned him a total of 40 seconds in penalties, but he was still only 14.9 seconds behind the winner. This makes it the third title he was won in Latvia. Two years ago he won with a two wheel drive Citroen C2, last year and again this year he won in a Skoda.
    Every day is a good day

Kalle's plans have included competing in the Wales round of the WRC, he has announced that he also expects to be competing in the Australian round of the WRC, competing in a M-Sports Fiesta R5 WRC-2 car.

He is one of number of drivers in consideration by Hyundai as their driver.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...tralia-955685/
    Every day is a good day

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information