• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By lozenge
  • 1 Post By alexander

Thread: F1 - Verstappen under criticism by Red Bull

Default F1 - Verstappen under criticism by Red Bull

Red Bull (Helmut Marko) have been critical of Verstappen's driving style. He is too hard on his tyres. He needs to change his driving style to get a better balance between wear and speed. His team mate Ricciardo is fast and much easier on his tyres.

Verstappen was reminded in Austin that he needed to conserve his tyres, to which he replied he isn't there to come fourth.

Advertisement
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 27th October 2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Add - in brackets bit
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Red Bull (Helmut Marko) have been critical of Verstappen's driving style. He is too hard on his tyres. He needs to change his driving style to get a better balance between wear and speed. His team mate Ricciardo is fast and much easier on his tyres.

Verstappen was reminded in Austin that he needed to conserve his tyres, to which he replied he isn't there to come fourth.
    And Moses told the people of Israel to come fourth out of Egypt, but they came fifth and have been on the back foot ever since.........
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post

I can kinda see his point - racing is about winning, and he seems quite good at that, for one so young....

Is there a season limit on tyres, as there is for engines? Or is it more a limit for each race meeting (actual race + the practices)? Anyway, if he runs short of tyres, couldn't he just borrow from Daniel, who doesn't need all his, as apparently he can make his daily driver tyres last all weekend...??

Cheers

Alec

My understanding is that if you flog the current tyres, they can loose the edge and be slower, making an extra pit stop for new tyres doesn't always make you faster either (if you take out the time lost for slow down for the pits and the tyre change).

The current tyre rules can be found here:- 2016 F1 tyre regulations and race allocations - F1technical.net (walobs)
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    And Moses told the people of Israel to come fourth out of Egypt, but they came fifth and have been on the back foot ever since.........
    Where is your proof that said events actually took place...?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves, as far as i can see.

re verstappen: that alleged reply from him is quite consistent with his attitude, as conveyed over tv.
    it is surprising though, in its apparent non acceptance of the concept that not conserving his tyres is detrimental to his ultimate position.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves, as far as i can see.

re verstappen: that alleged reply from him is quite consistent with his attitude, as conveyed over tv.
    it is surprising though, in its apparent non acceptance of the concept that not conserving his tyres is detrimental to his ultimate position.
    Perhaps he is not one of the thinking drivers.
    Armidillo likes this.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

and yet, cocky and pushy as he may be, he does come across as very switched on. logically he cant possibly not know that overheating / overusing the tyres is not good for overall position. so i suppose the radio exchange in question shouldnt be taken to indicate otherwise.

Verstappen may be an immature prat but he's doing an impressive job
    and forcing Ricciardo to lift his game. Marko likes to play power games
    and should be ignored by the drivers. the whole business of conserving
    the crappy Pirellis is one of the factors undermining F1 and deeply frustrating
    for the drivers.

Banned

fair point about MV, but i suspect the pirellis arent crappy, but rather soft?
    and if MV is using more tyres than his team mate, than in the same number of races, well, i think it is clear where the fault lies!

that aside, those frigging tyre rules are quite complicated, but i suppose they are deliberately set by F1 (rightly or otherwise) to suit its own interests in making the races a marketable spectacle.

sure, Ricciardo uses the tyres better, a sign of him being
    the more complete driver. and yes, Pirelli are fulfilling their contract.
    but what a farce that the best drivers in the world have to nurse
    their tyres - with all the off-track strategies that that involves -
    rather than simply race each other to the max.

I think ditching the ban on refueling would add to the spectacle by additional tactics as it would make more power available to the drivers, if it was worth the extra fuel time during pit stops.
    Every day is a good day

The Pirelli business is easily solved by insisting all teams use the same soft tyre. More pit stops, drivers that are the smoothest are rewarded as are the cars that are best balanced. It's not all about the drivers, is it?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

no, it's not all about the drivers, but it should be all about racing.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Banned

yes, the rules and indeed the entire sport is highly artificial, but i think that is a rather romantic view.
    the development and construction of these cars, the circus of shipping the whole show around the world, the drivers' incomes, all require staggering amounts of income. that income comes from the marketability of the spectacle, and the operators of F1 obviously feel that these complex, artificial rules are required to create that spectacle. the whole thing is a package, and i dont think you can slice bits out of it like that.

if you want to see pure racing, then V8 Supercars is there for you. identical chassis; very similar engines; its just about car prep and strategy, and a bit of wily driving from time to time. popular as the latter is, i think the stratospheric popularity of F1 speaks for itself
    bluey504 likes this.

Thread Information