F1 - Mercedes engine
  • Register
  • Help

Default F1 - Mercedes engine

Kimi Raikkonen suspects that Mercedesí ability to turn up its engines for qualifying and certain phases of the races could be making all the difference in their fight this year

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-dominance-helped-by-engine-modes-raikkonen-834782/

I wonder if this could also be related to Hamilton's engine failures. Could he be giving them a harder workout?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an interesting article on current engines vs V8's and V10's

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/...s-engine-boss/

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

surely all the teams have the ability to change engine modes on the fly?

Yes, but I read one article where they claim Ferrari puts out something like 750 hp and Mercedes is close to that in race mode, but for qualifying they estimated their output to be in between 950 - 1000 hp and Ferrari is quite a bit short of that in Qualifying. I think they can deduce fair bit from the lap time differential.

Trying to figure out where Mercedes advatage is not aneasy issue, Flavio Briatore believes that Ferrari do not have aeordynamic culture and this is where they lose the edge. When he, Shcmacher and others moved to Ferrari from Beneton, 15 engineers came with him to Ferrari. Some of the notable names who moved to Ferrrari at that time were Ross Brawn , Rory Byrnen and Nigel Stepneyn

My own gut feeling has been, that whist the Italians are very good at many things, as a nation, organisation is not their strongest suit. Before the Schumacher era, they had a very long dry spell and I fear they may head in the same direction unless they identify, what skills they need to bring the team to the top again. During the Schumacher era they had the right mix of skills. It looks like Mercedes have hit the blue streak with their skill set and my impression is that Germans are generally stronger with organizational skills. In the addition to performance woes, in the last couple of years Ferrari, have been guilty of number of tactical errors, which was one of their strong suits and virtually unheard of during Schumacher/Brawn/Briatore era.
    Every day is a good day

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Yes, but I read one article where they claim Ferrari puts out something like 750 hp and Mercedes is close to that in race mode, but for qualifying they estimated their output to be in between 950 - 1000 hp and Ferrari is quite a bit short of that in Qualifying. I think they can deduce fair bit from the lap time differential.

Trying to figure out where Mercedes advatage is not aneasy issue, Flavio Briatore believes that Ferrari do not have aeordynamic culture and this is where they lose the edge. When he, Shcmacher and others moved to Ferrari from Beneton, 15 engineers came with him to Ferrari. Some of the notable names who moved to Ferrrari at that time were Ross Brawn , Rory Byrnen and Nigel Stepneyn

My own gut feeling has been, that whist the Italians are very good at many things, as a nation, organisation is not their strongest suit. Before the Schumacher era, they had a very long dry spell and I fear they may head in the same direction unless they identify, what skills they need to bring the team to the top again. During the Schumacher era they had the right mix of skills. It looks like Mercedes have hit the blue streak with their skill set and my impression is that Germans are generally stronger with organizational skills. In the addition to performance woes, in the last couple of years Ferrari, have been guilty of number of tactical errors, which was one of their strong suits and virtually unheard of during Schumacher/Brawn/Briatore era.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of Jean Todt? Briatore was never involved in Ferrari...Briatore was the Benneton boss and then team principal of Renault for several years...

Todt, Brawn and Schumacher were the driving force behind the era of success for Ferrari.

I think Ferrari losing their technical director Allison mid season (his wife died unexpectedly and he resigned for family reasons) really hurt them this year. He was very highly regarded and I think he would've put them in the winners circle...

My apologies, you are right, got my wires crossed, it was Flavio Briatore who was being interviewed when he made the comments..
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    my impression is that Germans are generally stronger with organizational skills.
    as at least one world event showed very clearly!

Thread Information