F1 sold
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: F1 sold

Default F1 sold

AFTER weeks of speculation, the Liberty Media Group has confirmed it has purchased Formula 1 for the princely sum of US$8 billion.

Advertisement

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/f1-formula-1-sold-to-liberty-media-group-for-us8-billion-sport-to-have-new-chairman/news-story/ff8ed3f6c925fc8e58bf20dced8d4d93

Well. I'll be..
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

a monkey's uncle ?

So who gets the 8 billion, Bernie..?

Every day is a good day

2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

This could get interesting. I was reading in Finnish media, who were quoting Auto Bild Motortsport (German publication) that John Malone, the owner of Liberty Media doesn't like Bernie Ecclestone and will arrange for his departure after the last round this year, despite reports that Ecclestone would stay on as the Chairman.

Malone has also upset Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne who brought up the issue of the 90 million annual special bonus that Ferrari gets (as do other leading teams). Apparently Malone does not agree with the bonus and told them to challenge him in Court, he has time and money to fight it. If true, things could get interesting off track.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

noting that the unknowable intricacies make accurate speculation impossible, but you wouldnt reckon a new owner jumping straight into a major dispute with the teams which make the asset the $8bn, would be a good idea.

With the suggestions of

A) getting rid of bernie
    B) distibuting the money in a more even fasion

Would make a wonderful difference to F1. There would be 3-5 teams fighting for a win as opposed to 1-2. How would that not cause a few more people to watch it? If your paying 8 Billion surely your not 'all in' on the gamble.... I like the sound if a guy like that. Getting shit done
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    With the suggestions of

A) getting rid of bernie

Would make a wonderful difference to F1. There would be 3-5 teams fighting for a win as opposed to 1-2. How would that not cause a few more people to watch it? If your paying 8 Billion surely your not 'all in' on the gamble.... I like the sound if a guy like that. Getting shit done
    I agree, if thats the way it going to go, rather than the new owners retaining the money.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    With the suggestions of

A) getting rid of bernie

assuming without comment that having 3 to 5 teams fighting for a win, would make F1 more attractive, it is not clear to me what that has to do with 'getting rid of bernie', or distributing the money more evenly. 'evenly' sounds all fine, but of course the teams which get more, spend alot more too. that pays for the extreme engineering involved, which is in turn the "value proposition" of F1, as marketers like to say. so whether or not the current regime is even or uneven, in the broader context, is debatable.

i presume that the perceived problem with BE is that he is dictatorial in running F1? again, assuming without comment that to be a Bad Thing, i would suggest that a new owner who is already heralding changes to a previously negotiated deal, and already saying 'if you dont like it, then sue me', is likely a retrograde step in that regard.

----------------
    all that aside, i would be most surprised if BE's continued role in the proceedings was subject to the whim of an incoming owner! rather, i would think it is defined in clear and indisputable contractual language.
    Last edited by alexander; 14th September 2016 at 04:21 PM.

At 85 (or there abouts), when does he reach his use by date?
    dvr likes this.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Oh that is just so ageist!

Thank you
    Every day is a good day

Why F1 costs so much yet delivers so little in the form of race long wheel to wheel competition is something that Bernie et al have been unable to change. The fact that an entire sport is "owned" by a single entity in lieu of it's being "controlled' by an elected sporting body will, I foresee, only hasten it's downfall.
    Rob Sealey likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

yep. only worth US$8bn - pretty much on its last legs! when would you reckon it will finally keel over and die?
    exactly the same thing is happening, i gather, to other racing series owned by a single entity ie V8 Supercars, WRC, WTCC.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    yep. only worth US$8bn - pretty much on its last legs! when would you reckon it will finally keel over and die?
    exactly the same thing is happening, i gather, to other racing series owned by a single entity ie V8 Supercars, WRC, WTCC.
    In answer to your unasked question, most "sports" these days are no longer "sports". They are various forms of tightly controlled video capitalism. They are watched by many people on TV, who will also willingly watch any other kind of mind numbing moving picture on a screen in front of them. Everyone except the watchers profit from this "sports" scam.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 15th September 2016 at 09:47 AM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

F1 is mostly predictable, processional and boring. Compared to spectacle of Motogp and even our local V8 series, f1 needs to change. BE had his go so time for a makeover.

(Never thought I'd say that about our super v8's. I did like the old Group A days but it does seem that the v8's have created a closer and more level field. The spectator interest now seems to be more on the drivers than the cars. Not unlike speedway which is also exciting to watch.)

Im getting tired of the bored comments about F1.

What era of F1 was amazing, enthralling and not boring or whatever?

Its been like this for 50 years. Since BE held the reins.

My Dad, who is 65, also thinks F1 is boring. He races a Morgan plus 4. I ask him what makes it boring and different from a time he liked. What he came up with was basically what is happening now. Its just that he has lost touch with the current politics and the rules so oswnt understand it.

Im assuming most if the crowd that call it boring are in the same boat. IE are just from a dofferent era so bag it out.
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I think the formula can be improved and costs reduced at the same time by few simple changes:-

1/ Bigger tyres for greater mechanical grip

2/ Reduce the effect of aero - smaller wings of whatever suitable method

3/ Dump the no refueling rules - let the races drive the cars flat out and less managing the fuel

4/ Let them run whatever tyres are available - let the tactics dictate the compounds, not the rules.

5/ Engines - bump the current complicated power units and return to injected V8/10 of larger capacity. Currently top independent teams are reportedly spending some 20 millin per year on engines.

Feel free to add your improvements to the list
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 15th September 2016 at 03:58 PM.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    In answer to your unasked question, most "sports" these days are no longer "sports". They are various forms of tightly controlled video capitalism. They are watched by many people on TV, who will also willingly watch any other kind of mind numbing moving picture on a screen in front of them. Everyone except the watchers profit from this "sports" scam.
    typical snooty comment from you, kim. personally, i dont have any time for the hoopla of professional sports, but if you dont think AFL or ARL is real sport, i suggest you get on the field and have a crack against them. that it is hyped, doesnt mean it isnt genuine competition.

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    F1 is mostly predictable, processional and boring. Compared to spectacle of Motogp and even our local V8 series, f1 needs to change. BE had his go so time for a makeover.
    why would you want it to be like V8 supercars?! that competition is more even, for sure. why? because aero plays a much smaller part, the chassis are identical, and engine rules guarantee they all make very similar power. no wonder the focus is on the drivers! V8 supercars really is tightly controlled video capitalism. at least with F1, there is a 'best team' and it wins. often hands down.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

OMG Cam. What would you suggest to stop it being as you say 50 years of boredom. Why don't you think they can get it right after all that time? Why don't you like us old farts calling or "bagging" it as it is when you even agree? Seen the king's clothes lately?

And Alex, the richest owners can afford the best car research and teams in F1. Much like Group A used to be. At least now in the v8's it seems a lot more owners can afford to buy equally performing cars and teams.

As to the solution I don't know. It's called racing not processions. Maybe reverse order starts on the last race results?

Moto GP has been very exciting with 8 Gp winners in the last 8 races. The "racing" so far has been nail biting stuff. That's got my attention as well as visitors who don't bother with our motor sport watching interests.

Ross Brawn is to replace Bernie Ecclestone. He has an agreement with Liberty Media, the new owner of F1. Apparently FIA has approved the change

Formel 1: News - F1 live und aktuell - Brawn neuer F1-Boss? - autobild.de
    Every day is a good day

Banned

FD: does this imply that Bernie has been stiffed? i thought he was declaring weeks ago that he would remain in his position?

Yes he did, I think it was before or just after the contract was signed. Soon after I started reading in os media that Bernie had reached his use by date. If he got stiffed, imo it couldn't happen to more deserving recipient, ok, maybe Vettel or Max, but it's a close call
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information