F1 - British GP qualifying results - Spoiler alerrt
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cam85
  • 1 Post By cam85

Thread: F1 - British GP qualifying results - Spoiler alerrt

Default F1 - British GP qualifying results - Spoiler alerrt

Looks like the Mercedes are going to walk away with this race unless they take each other out.

Lewis and Nico on front row again. Lewis was one second quicker than 3rd place qualifier Max Verstappen, who out qualified Daniel for the first time, placing the Red Bulls on second row ahead of the Ferraris. Kimi out qualified Vettel into 5 and 6 respectively, but Vettel had gearbox problems penalized 5 spots for the start.

Vettel broke a gearbox during Fridays practice and another one during FP3. These are in addition to the one he broke in Austria week ago. The UK and Austrian failures are not the related. That makes it third time for gearbox related penalties in five races

I find it puzzling that only Vettels car has suffered three gearbox failures in two weeks

Ericsson did not take part in the qualifying after a heavy shunt in practice. He will start from pit lane after being cleared by Doctors to take part in the race.

1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:29.287
    2. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:29.606
    3. Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 1:30.313
    4. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:30.618
    5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:30.881
    6. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:31.490
    7. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1:31.557
    8. Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, 1:31.989
    9. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:32.172
    10. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1:32.343

http://en.f1i.com/news/62967-recurring-gearbox-failures-concern-vettel.html

Advertisement
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 10th July 2016 at 08:44 PM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I thought everyone watched it live, like I did? Nice of you to post results of Qualy anyway! Glad we can all watch it live on FTA at 9.45 PM tonight on Channel Ten.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Not a comment to be seen re the result!

*gotta hand it to Hamilton. personally i have said previously that he is overrated, but he seems to be doing a good job of proving me wrong. must be a personal vendetta against me. that aside, i reckon the need to not have another prang with Rosberg must be a powerful motivating factor in staying in the lead the whole race.
    *go Verstappen!
    *Rosberg - he really pouts very badly when things dont go his way. in a really harsh, german kind of a way. at least when Hamilton is having an emotional collapse, he does it in a warm, fuzzy, emotional, pommy kind of way.
    *Ricciardo - the F1 career cards just arent falling his way... seems like a good bloke, but events are testing his smile.

Didn't require much comment. Boring from start to finish. Dan seems to be lacking some pace, Mercedes some radio transmission manners and Ferrari, well.......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Didn't require much comment..
    apparently!
    though true car racing afficianodos, such as myself, find interest in all races. and all things, for that matter.

Didn't require much comment. Boring from start to finish. Dan seems to be lacking some pace, Mercedes some radio transmission manners and Ferrari, well.......

Man. What would make a more exciting race then? Boring from start to finish? Crazy wet srart, slowly drying track, tricky conditions, plenty of overtaking and spin offs. What else do you want?
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Man. What would make a more exciting race then? Boring from start to finish? Crazy wet srart, slowly drying track, tricky conditions, plenty of overtaking and spin offs. What else do you want?
    Something other than a Mercedes in P1,
    An enormous amount of overtaking,
    Refuelling,
    Free choice of engine design and format,
    Free choice of tyres and manufacturer,
    Free chassis design,
    Innovation.

Should I go on? These were all the go a while back until Bernie decided to clone F1 into the V8-Supercars format.

I suppose there's always Formula E................

Theres more overtaking than ever in F1. If you want more than that watch Nascar.

If it were free chassis design the cars would not be able to be piloted by a human. The G forces too much and as usual (even like now) the more money the faster.

Not all teams can make engines like the past too!

The engines and cars are more technical than ever with an enormous amount of innovation. What else whould you like to see that innovates more than they already do within the rules?

Berni has been in since the 70s so which period are you talking about?

Pre War?

There is an enormous anount of innovation in these cars are you kidding? There engines are more than 50% efficiancy which is mind boggling.

Did you watch the V8 race on the weekend? Crazy overtaking and a very exciting finish. 11 winners from the first 11 races. Should I go on?
    jo proffi likes this.
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    *gotta hand it to Hamilton. personally i have said previously that he is overrated, but he seems to be doing a good job of proving me wrong. must be a personal vendetta against me. that aside, i reckon the need to not have another prang with Rosberg must be
    Perhaps you just cant erase his early highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSL8edgC3Y
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Something other than a Mercedes in P1,
    An enormous amount of overtaking,
    Refuelling,
    Free choice of engine design and format,
    Free choice of tyres and manufacturer,
    Free chassis design,
    Innovation.
    oh ok. so you think ALL F1 races boring from start to finish, not just that race, given that the middle four points arent actually part of the formula. which is fine - just dont watch it- but would help to be a bit clearer about what you mean.
    it may be just me, but i personally find motors which spin to 20k rpm, KERS, DRS, incredibly detailed aero devices, sophisticated composites etc, hit the "innovation" spot.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Theres more overtaking than ever in F1. If you want more than that watch Nascar.

If it were free chassis design the cars would not be able to be piloted by a human. The G forces too much and as usual (even like now) the more money the faster.

Not all teams can make engines like the past too!

The engines and cars are more technical than ever with an enormous amount of innovation. What else whould you like to see that innovates more than they already do within the rules?

Berni has been in since the 70s so which period are you talking about?

Pre War?

There is an enormous anount of innovation in these cars are you kidding? There engines are more than 50% efficiancy which is mind boggling.

Did you watch the V8 race on the weekend? Crazy overtaking and a very exciting finish. 11 winners from the first 11 races. Should I go on?
    I have been watching F1 for many, many years. Going to bed early to get up at an unearthly hour of the morning to watch free to air TV F1 coverage. Now Bernie charges so much we don't have full FTA coverage any more. Overtaking you say? The formula was made so V8 Supercar-like that they had to introduce DRS zones just so cars could pass each other. The whole F1 show is a farce. There is no innovation because it has been written out of the rules and the spectacle is a shadow of it's former self, with bloody tokens and restrictions that are killing the sport and it's popularity.

As far as V8 so-called Supercars is concerned it is also totally predictable, with everything sanitised to make sure no one team can get an advantage through skill or cunning. It is basically one design racing that no longer bears any resemblance to Australian car buying habits, except to Bogans and other people who honestly believe that V8's are the ultimate source of power for any vehicle. I stopped being interested in the Bathurst 1000 when the variety went out of the field. I now much prefer to watch the 12 hour race.

Motor sport has been taken over by big business, and the fans are too stupid to care.

When it is one design, and fairly equitable….. you whinge.
    When it is not one design, and one team has an edge …..You whinge.
    When you realise the fudcking obvious, that a V8 super-car is not a street legal sedan found in the showroom…….you whinge.

Cant help noticing a pattern here.

Jo

Banned

, with everything sanitised to make sure no one team can get an advantage through skill or cunning. .
    you might like to debate that with whincup/loundes. 7 of the last 8 championships does sound like they have found some sort of non - random advantage.

you might like to debate that with whincup/loundes. 7 of the last 8 championships does sound like they have found some sort of non - random advantage.
    Exactly. Like Mercedes current advantage in F1, the rules stop anyone else beating them................

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    When it is one design, and fairly equitable….. you whinge.
    When it is not one design, and one team has an edge …..You whinge.
    When you realise the fudcking obvious, that a V8 super-car is not a street legal sedan found in the showroom…….you whinge.

Cant help noticing a pattern here.

Jo
    The pattern you are observing, Jo, is the disenchantment of a former fan. That is all.

Banned

Exactly. Like Mercedes current advantage in F1, the rules stop anyone else beating them................
    so, which V8 Supercars rules are advantaging these guys? would that be them using the standard chassis, or the same motor half the field is running? interestingly, i was under the impression Mercedes advatages were a/ the in-house motor and b/ their drivers, neither of which seem to be part of F1 rules. am i missing something?

so, which V8 Supercars rules are advantaging these guys? would that be them using the standard chassis, or the same motor half the field is running? interestingly, i was under the impression Mercedes advatages were a/ the in-house motor and b/ their drivers, neither of which seem to be part of F1 rules. am i missing something?
    You forgot to mention the massive budget
    Every day is a good day

Banned

RBR, Mercedes, McLaren, spent almost exactly the same as each other last year: about EUR460m. Ferrari spent 418m.
    Last edited by alexander; 13th July 2016 at 12:31 PM.

My understanding is that the original engine develment cost for Merc is over and above the annual budge and equally impressive.
    Every day is a good day

The reason DRS was invented was not so the cars could overtake. It is because the cars are so slippery and have very small rear wings compared to the massive ironing boards the used to run. The old style wings/car would punch a much bigger hole in the air for the car behind to draft/gain and overtake into the corner or as such. The modern cars dont really punch that big a hole in the air allowing for them to draft as efficiently as they used to. So DRS came along

Yes it was still invented to aid in overtaking. But it is not as cut and dry as an entertainment tool.

Dont get me wrong, F1 and most motorsport now is all about the business of it. Its always been going that way really. This period of Merc dominating is getting thin but theres been many years fone past when 2 drivers were winning because of the car. The Williams in the early 90s, the Mclarens of the late 80s as well as the Lotus.

Ferrari 2000-
    RBR 2010-
    Merc 2014-

Whos next? My money is on RBR for the new regulations.

Oh and I agree, the 12 hr is a fantastic race. The spread of the field and variety of cars is great. Some cars are stronger on some parts of the track etc whoch makes for freat racing.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

1000+ Posts

apparently!
    though true car racing afficianodos, such as myself, find interest in all races. and all things, for that matter.
    Same here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    My understanding is that the original engine develment cost for Merc is over and above the annual budge and equally impressive.
    i have been trying to get some info on that. this article does seem to suggest that the numbers quoted include engine development.

Mercedes spending accelerates to record 325m - Pitpass.com

more generally, however, if that is the case, RBR and McLaren are really spending more on car development than Ferrari and Mercedes. the total numbers are about the same, but they were saved the cost of engine development. instead, they buy the engines for <$20m per year.

if, OTOH, the numbers in my prior post do not include engine development, it is still a fair comparison for the same reason: teams which buy engines are still benefiting from someone else spending engine development money. if they had to do it themselves, that full cost of that would be on top.

i have been trying to get some info on that. this article does seem to suggest that the numbers quoted include engine development.

Mercedes spending accelerates to record 325m - Pitpass.com

more generally, however, if that is the case, RBR and McLaren are really spending more on car development than Ferrari and Mercedes. the total numbers are about the same, but they were saved the cost of engine development. instead, they buy the engines for <$20m per year.

if, OTOH, the numbers in my prior post do not include engine development, it is still a fair comparison for the same reason: teams which buy engines are still benefiting from someone else spending engine development money. if they had to do it themselves, that full cost of that would be on top.
    It's clear as mud.

The following is a quote from the article you linked.

"In addition to the 133.9m cost of its engines, Mercedes spent a staggering 190.7m on running the F1 team." (being 2103 figures)

At that time Ferrari had a budget of
    250, Red Bull 235 and McLaren 160. This article sets spells out the 2013 budget for the teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1927268-breaking-down-the-costs-of-racing-in-formula-1-is-spending-out-of-control

It would seem that the engine manufacturing is a separate operation ?

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mercedes-amg-f1/amg-f1-team/amg-f1-locations/brixworth/

Every day is a good day

Thread Information