WRC - people not called Sebastian winning races!
  • Register
  • Help
    Banned

Default WRC - people not called Sebastian winning races!

Ogier won the first two rallies this year, but 5 others have won the last 5 races. so that is 6 in a row with a different winner. as ogier has slaughtered the competition for the last 3 years, and Loeb did before that for 8 years, i would imagine it has been many years indeed since that occurred. funnily enough, it Tanak had won on the weekend, as he nearly did, it would still have been 6 winners in the last 6 races. great to see a bit of uncertainty in the sport for a change. even if ogier is still keeping ahead by being 2nd or 3rd in each race.

Advertisement

Alexander, its certainly good to see the makes and drivers mixing up the results.

What are your thoughts on the following?
    Although for some reason I didn't follow Group B when it was in action I'm a great fan of those days.
    Really enjoy watching "Too Fast To Race" (both episodes) and a program sometimes seen on Satelite, "Rallying, The Killer Years".
    In the end the performance of those cars was their undoing with few drivers able to handle them.
    Recently I saw a comment that modern WRC cars were posting times equal to and better than the Group B cars over the same stages.
    So what has happened? Has the handling and power delivery of the cars improved a lot? Have a new breed of Super-human drivers been bred? Or was the comment comparing times of modern cars/drivers with the present day times of Group B cars that currently run in detuned form in historic events?
    Paul.

Fellow Frogger!

WRC cars have been faster than Group B for more than 16 years... Technology in chassis, design, suspension has kept marching on fast. Even before WRC cars, the last generation of Group A was faster than group B. Its all in corner speed, directly related to suspension, braking and tyres.
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Ogier won the first two rallies this year, but 5 others have won the last 5 races. so that is 6 in a row with a different winner. as ogier has slaughtered the competition for the last 3 years, and Loeb did before that for 8 years, i would imagine it has been many years indeed since that occurred. funnily enough, it Tanak had won on the weekend, as he nearly did, it would still have been 6 winners in the last 6 races. great to see a bit of uncertainty in the sport for a change. even if ogier is still keeping ahead by being 2nd or 3rd in each race.
    No one other than Ogier has been consistent this year. Mikkelsen (2nd in title chase) failed to score in 2 races. Latvala "surprisingly" failed to score in three events

Ogier is on 143 point and the next placed driver is on 92 points, putting him 51 point ahead. The impressive new driver in my opinion is Hayden Padden third on 72 points
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    No one other than Ogier has been consistent this year. s
    yes i quite agree, but the last three years, they were all equally inconsistent, AND not winning races.

------------------
    as to 504's question about the speed of WRC cars, i will add that i think they are smaller and lighter, have sequential gearboxes, and the newer engine technology which just keeps getting more squeezes more useable power out of motors which almost never self destruct.

adding to Maxi's reference to suspension, one has to bear in mind the staggering performance of the dampers on these cars.
    they are getting something like 2m in the air, and when they hit the ground there is a single compression of the springs, then they rise to normal ride height and stop there. utterly amazing.

no doubt all that stuff adds up over a WRC course!

VIP Sponsor

It didn't take long at all for the group A Lancias to beat the group B cars times.
    Have a look at footage of 205 T16s trying to get around hairpin turns.

I reckon the current WRC cars are the best ever, much more entertaining than the previous 2 litre formula.
    Let's hope the new ones due out next year as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    yes i quite agree, but the last three years, they were all equally inconsistent, AND not winning races.
    True.

To put it another way, most of the drivers have been consistenly uncompetitive over the last three years. This year more drivers have been inconsistenly competive.

2013 - Sebestians (Loeb won 2) won all but two of the rallies, Latvala and Sordo winning one each
    2014 - Ogier won 8 of the 13 rounds, Latvala won the other four. No other winners.
    2015 - Ogier won 8 of the 13 rounds, Latvala won 3 and Mikkelsen, Meeke 1.

All we need is for the inconsistently fast drivers to find some consistency and things could get really interesting.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

i guess that is, for the moment, one of donald rumsfeld's Known Unknowns.

Thread Information