• Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By JohnW
  • 4 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: Le Mans 24 Hours

Default Le Mans 24 Hours

Been watching the race on and off since it started last night, mostly all day today and it has been a very close race in the LMPT1 category. Audi seem right out of it and Porsche are currently in second to Toyota and seem to be struggling to catch and overtake the leading Toyamoto. Alpine are leading the LMPT2 category and the rest of field (comprising cars you could almost nearly drive on the road if you could afford one) is relatively boring.

Advertisement
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

What a sensational finish though! I was watching the live stream, and to see the Toyota run out of puff in the last lap or so was just extraordinary. The winning Porsche was placed just right for such an event, which seemed very unlikely with four minutes to go.

And the Alpine just lapped and lapped..... And won its class.

There were precious few incidents, but what a close race!

We went once, quite an experience.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I didn't see the race, but this morning I thought - how can the Toyota which completed the same number of laps as the winning Porsche, with a time of 24hrs08mins, not even be in the placegetters? I know they have to cross the line to be classified but with a time listed, surely they did limp home.

Answer:
    "At three minutes to the end, the #5 Toyota was heading for victory and suddenly ground to a halt (on the start/finish straight!) and had to watch the Porsche sail past. After several nail-biting moments it managed to limp across the line only to be disqualified for not completing the last lap within the 6-minute time limit. In the end, the #6 Toyota TS050 Hybrid and the #8 Audi R18 take second and third."

And as John W says above the Renault fans were happy:
    "France wins the day in LM P2: Signatech Alpine’s Alpine A460-Nissan driven by Menezes, Lapierre and Richelmi take the trophy."

On the other hand :
    "Ford’s 50th anniversary comeback was triumphant with Hand, MŁller and Bourdais winning LM GTE Pro in the #68 Ford GT. Scuderia Corsa’s crew, Sweedler, Bell and Segal topped the LM GTE Am class."

(Quotes from lemans.org):
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

The commentators also thought that the #5 Toyota was not classified because it failed to complete the (now) mandatory "cool down" lap. You'd have to agree that they were extraordinarily unlucky. But that is racing.

From the little I could hear, the Ford GTs sounded magnificent. The year we went, the bellowing V8 sound from the Corvette team was a highlight.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Wow. Sounds like it was a great race. I was fortunate enough to go to the 2006 race. As JohnW says, it is quite an experience. A bucket list event for the Motorsport enthusiast. the atmosphere and vibe around the event is indescribable. Motorsport to the French is a bit like AFL to a Victorian!

Administrator

I was flicking between the F1 and Lemans.

When I switched the last time, the Toyota pit was looking nervous but happy.

I switched back 3 minutes later and they were crying...

I had no horse in the race, but I would've liked to have seen Toyota win.

They have been in the sport for a long time and have lost within sight of the flag before...

Banned

funny how being in the lead at the end, for practical purposes, counts for nothing if you dont get to stand on the podium and go down in the books. even though, at an engineering level, toyota had the goods.

Default Le Mans photos

Seems like yesterday.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Le Mans 24 Hours-early-morning-gaggle-1.jpg   Le Mans 24 Hours-peugeot-enhanced-2.jpg   Le Mans 24 Hours-first-view.jpg  
    Fordman and Graelin like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Interestingly enough a PRV V6 engined car holds the record for the highest speed attained on the 6 km long Mulsanne Straight.
    It was the WM-P88 built by two Peugeot engineers, Gerard Welter and Michel Meunier, which was officially clocked at 407 km/h in the 1988 race. Prior to this the car had been clocked at 416km/h on a closed road.
    However because the race coincided with the launch of the Peugeot 405 the time was set at 405 km/h.
    After reliability problems during the race the car was patched up, sent out again and driver Roger Dorchy was told to turn up the boost and go for top speed. The car circulated for several laps each time achieving over 400 km/h down the straight.
    With turbo boost turned right up and delivering 900 bhp the stress was just too much and the car retired with turbo, cooling and electrical issues, but not before it had set the record.
    Two years later two chicanes were added to the straight to reduce top speeds in the interest of safety.
    1988 WM P88 Peugeot - Images, Specifications and Information

Paul.

In 1978 in full qualifying trim, with the bubble roof, the A443 achieved a top speed of 236 mph (380 km/h) on the Mulsanne Straight, making it the fastest car ever produced by Renault, a record which still stands today and includes all of Renault's F1 entries. The 2136cc Turbo engine produced some 400 hp less than the Pug for a deficit of only 20 km/h.......and I almost forgot to mention, it won.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Le Mans 24 Hours-renault_alpine_v6_2136cc_turbo_500bhp.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Yes very good effort by Renault.

Thread Information