WRC - Toyota Yaris in testing
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: WRC - Toyota Yaris in testing

Default WRC - Toyota Yaris in testing

Timo Makinen led Toyota Rally team has been testing the Yaris for week and a half with Tomi driving 1000 test km and team test driver Juho Hanninen testing for two days.

Toyota are returning to WRC from beginning of next year.

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

If a Yaris could win the WRC we need a few more serious competitors or the sport might lose some relevance.........
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

it isnt really a yaris!
    it just has the bodyshell.

But with it's forthcoming WRC win it will be sold as a Toyota "Yaris", will it not? False advertising or not? Who cares? No-one, apparently.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

and no one has cared since they changed the "how many cars you must make rule"

Still.

I reckon a 3dr Yaris, or even the smaller echo, (are they much smaller) with a 2L NA from a Prius would be my camp of gnarley.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

VIP Sponsor

Not even a Yaris bodyshell, just the name.
    The Echo was just an Australian name for the first Yaris we got here.

We shouldn't go into the "What's in a name?" routine now, should we?

WRC Yaris in testing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrc taris.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	84076
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post

I reckon a 3dr Yaris, or even the smaller echo, (are they much smaller) with a 2L NA from a Prius would be my camp of gnarley.
    Aren't the Toyota Hybrids Atkinson cycle engines and 1.8 litre capacity ?

I wouldn't think an Atkinson cycle engine would have the performance for the task of propelling a WRC car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    But with it's forthcoming WRC win it will be sold as a Toyota "Yaris", will it not? False advertising or not? Who cares? No-one, apparently.....
    All manufacturers are the same. WRC cars are custom cars. And the body shape and name are incidental to the mechanical components.

Toyota have completed 5000 km in testing in preparation for the first round at Monaco next year, which is some 6 months away.

Toyota have also signed Mikko Hirvonen as a test driver.

Speculation is that Toyota will not be able to sign a top name driver before 2018 as Latvala, Ogier, Meeke and Paddon have contracts for the next two years.

Makinen has indicated his interest in two WRC2 drivers, Esapekka Lappi and Teemu Suninen. They will make a decision on drivers after the German round of the WRC.

Current points standings for WRC2 - WRC2 - Results - World Rally Championship - wrc.com
    Every day is a good day

These have been round for a while and ARE a Fabia V3 Platform. The successor to very successful Fabia (v2) S2000

Facts & Figures | ?KODA Motorsport

And the R5 has had quite some success already

it's even hinted they are being homologated will be available for purchase by independents ... at a price and slightly de-tuned

New Skoda Fabia R5 rally car revealed - Only Motors

Last years version I saw at Jyvaskyla during the 2015 Rally of Finland. In traffic, not a competitive stage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130221.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	87470
    Every day is a good day

Both incarnations of the "RALLY" Fabia have been successful on the rally circuits.

Unfortunately we aren't likely ever to see the holomolgated versions in Oz.

They have even stopped making the Fabia RS (We have a 2014 version, purchased whilst they were in manufacture, 2nd last new Skoda Fabia RS in VGA Sydney store)

Juho Hanninen and Esapekka Lappi will drive the full WRC season with Toyota next year. The their driver has not been named as yet.

Lappi is currently driving for Skoda in the WRC-2 category. His most recent successes were win in Germany and Finland (2 in a row).
    Every day is a good day

Back when I was a youngun'...
    Citroen (*) used to rally cars that were 98.27% stock Citroens.
    And win. Or nearly win.

Compared to, as youse all say, ..... a modified body shell with (insert "Logo" here) and then
    tell you how (insert "Logo" here) is a world- beater that you must buy. Pfft.

(*) Or mostly just a privateer who rallied a Citroen.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Juho Hanninen and Esapekka Lappi will drive the full WRC season with Toyota next year. The their driver has not been named as yet.

Lappi is currently driving for Skoda in the WRC-2 category. His most recent successes were win in Germany and Finland (2 in a row).
    Unlike Juho who seems to crash a hell of a lot.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Back when I was a youngun'...
    Citroen (*) used to rally cars that were 98.27% stock Citroens.
    And win. Or nearly win.

Compared to, as youse all say, ..... a modified body shell with (insert "Logo" here) and then
    tell you how (insert "Logo" here) is a world- beater that you must buy. Pfft.

(*) Or mostly just a privateer who rallied a Citroen.
    Those days are long gone. If you want to relive that era there is Historic Rallying.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yes.

In advertising fairness, then, all vehicles in WRC should be called "Cars."
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

You call them anything you like. Except late for the start of the event.
    COL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Unlike Juho who seems to crash a hell of a lot.
    List your evidence.

I can see 6, four of them in 2012 and two in 2014, plus one spin out where he continued the rally which in my book is not a crash in rallying. Six in fourteen years is not excessive in my opinion when you are looking for the ragged edge. Latvala can do that in a good season. In rallying, if you don't have some crashes, you ain't driving fast enough.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    List your evidence.

I can see 6, four of them in 2012 and two in 2014, plus one spin out where he continued the rally which in my book is not a crash in rallying. Six in fourteen years is not excessive in my opinion when you are looking for the ragged edge. Latvala can do that in a good season. In rallying, if you don't have some crashes, you ain't driving fast enough.
    it was admittedly a shoot from the hip opinion, but i note that i cant see he was competing in WRC in 2012, so i guess it was a lower class?, and he has only competed in 9 WRC events from 2013 to date. not that this is on point with your point, but when he has competed you wouldnt say he has had top tier results. so i am surprised he is getting a start in a team which would no doubt be viewing a WRC championship at least as a credible possibility (in due course..). giving lappi a start i completely understand.

Poor young Latvala!
    you dont have to watch much WRC to realise that his biggest challenge is managing his emotions. He has really gone off the simmer this year, which will no doubt be forming a strong negative feedback loop in his head. i fear his time has passed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    re the fact that they arent actually Toyotas, Citroens, of VWs....
    you dont want to get to uptight about that issue.
    even in race series involve 'real' cars, there is still enormous expense involved in preparing them for racing, and keeping them in the race during events. so unless it is a thrashing like Sierras or Godzillas whipping aussie V8s asses, it is hard to know whether it is the car, or the team/driver winning the races.
    Last edited by alexander; 22nd September 2016 at 12:16 AM.

The top drivers are signed up and not available and even if they were, would they sign up with a new team in their first development year? If they cant get the top drivers, then guys who can help evolve the cars would be my first choice. As the Toyota team boss is Makinen, I think we would have had much more opporturnity to follow both theses Finnish drivers to ensure he gets the best available. Time will tell.
    Re Latvala, to be fair, not all of his bad luck this year has been his own making, he has had some mechanical issues also, which his team mate apppears has not.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

FD, your reasoning in these matters if very credible, but i still have a residual amount of surprise that a brand like Toyota, which has won WRC championships before, couldnt pick up someone with a few more runs on the board. after all, when VW did the same, they signed Ogier, and for the first year he wasnt even competing IIRC.

re JML, yes luck certainly has alot to do with the final outcome in racing, but where luck = reliability, my feeling is that in WRC, that is closely connected to the way you drive. in tarmac racing, you are either on the track, or off the track. or colliding with another car, or not. but in WRC, they are constantly clipping things, hitting bumps and holes etc, and managing the way you hit all those things seems to be a significant part of winning. over longer periods at least, 'luck' or lack of it, should be evenly spread across everyone equally. so when you see two team members with vastly different 'luck' where problems with the car are concerned, i cant help thinking it is the driver creating it, in subtle ways, with their driving.

VIP Sponsor

Ogier drove the Skoda S2000 in his first year with VW, to keep his hand in. I think he might have won a stage outright in that car?

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    FD, your reasoning in these matters if very credible, but i still have a residual amount of surprise that a brand like Toyota, which has won WRC championships before, couldnt pick up someone with a few more runs on the board. after all, when VW did the same, they signed Ogier, and for the first year he wasnt even competing IIRC.

re JML, yes luck certainly has alot to do with the final outcome in racing, but where luck = reliability, my feeling is that in WRC, that is closely connected to the way you drive. in tarmac racing, you are either on the track, or off the track. or colliding with another car, or not. but in WRC, they are constantly clipping things, hitting bumps and holes etc, and managing the way you hit all those things seems to be a significant part of winning. over longer periods at least, 'luck' or lack of it, should be evenly spread across everyone equally. so when you see two team members with vastly different 'luck' where problems with the car are concerned, i cant help thinking it is the driver creating it, in subtle ways, with their driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information