Service Crew opportunity for Alpine Rally next weekend.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: Service Crew opportunity for Alpine Rally next weekend.

VIP Sponsor

Default Service Crew opportunity for Alpine Rally next weekend.

I am running in the Alpine Rally next weekend in my 205.
    The event is based at Lakes Entrance, starts with a street stage on Friday afternoon then Saturday heads as far east as Cann River before returning to Lakes Entrance for the overnight stop.
    Sundays route is north of Bairnsdale and Bruthen.
    We could use someone who is prepared to drive to the service points with a tyre or two and some spares, pretty low key.
    We have a spare bed or two available and would be prepared to help out with fuel if anyone would like to come down.
    Over 100 entrants and some fantastic cars, you won't be disappointed.
    There will be time to do some spectating as well. Give me a call on 0429 939619

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Bump..

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I am running in the Alpine Rally next weekend in my 205.
    The event is based at Lakes Entrance, starts with a street stage on Friday afternoon then Saturday heads as far east as Cann River before returning to Lakes Entrance for the overnight stop.
    Sundays route is north of Bairnsdale and Bruthen.
    We could use someone who is prepared to drive to the service points with a tyre or two and some spares, pretty low key.
    We have a spare bed or two available and would be prepared to help out with fuel if anyone would like to come down.
    Over 100 entrants and some fantastic cars, you won't be disappointed.
    There will be time to do some spectating as well. Give me a call on 0429 939619

VIP Sponsor

The event went quite well, car was reliable until the Speedway section on Sunday morning. It cut out on the second lap and I managed to roll to the end, out the gate and then downhill to the control!
    At this stage I thought it was fuel starvation so continued, topping up at Bruthen. Halfway through the next stage it cut out a few times but restarted. Time was pretty good considering this problem and nobody caught us over the 45km of sometimes extremely rough tracks.
    Another top up of fuel then the final 25km stage just north of Lakes Entrance. Halfway through it cut out again and stopped. After two cars had passed we got it going again and cruised to the finish where it stopped and wouldn't restart!
    Eventually got it going, seemed to be the Crank Angle Sensor, drove home fine today.
    This cost us some places, 49th outright, should have been 42nd.
    Doesn't sound all that good but there were 105 of Australias best competitors in the event, biggest in Australia. It was won by Jack Monkhouse in a Datsun 180b.
    We thought we had blown our chances of a trophy for one of the top three European cars as without the stopping as we would have just pipped a Golf GTi but on checking the results today it seems that the last years winner in a Porsche did not finish so we picked up the 3rd place trophy. Tony Quinn was first European in a BMW.
    We were the only entry to drive the car to and from the event, the only car not have a service crew and used one set of used tyres throughout, so a good demo of 205 strength and performance. The car actually felt better driving home as the clutch was no longer dragging as it had been.
    Peter Houghton, 79 year old 404 punter from the 1960s was 26th in his long serving Datsun 1600.
    He amazed a lot of the younger competitors, one remarking that the engine sounded stock standard and how could he go so fast. Peter said it hadn't anything major done to it since 1978!

Bump..
    FIVEDOOR, Brett, BIGRR and 2 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Great work graham, excellent effort to finish in the top 50%, in what is certainly not a simple event. With over 100 entries, will they be running it again in 2 years time?

I hope so, would like to get the chance to put my 205 through its paces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

VIP Sponsor

If you asked them now they would probably say no, but yes, I think they will run another.

Quote Originally Posted by michael_ozzie View Post
    Great work graham, excellent effort to finish in the top 50%, in what is certainly not a simple event. With over 100 entries, will they be running it again in 2 years time?

I hope so, would like to get the chance to put my 205 through its paces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great work Graham! It sounds like there was some stiff competition out. Nice writeup of the event as well.

VIP Sponsor

Revised results show us in 43rd, 38th without the stopping problem.

VIP Sponsor

Looks like the problem was something as a simple as a loose earth connection, caused by a self tapper loosening off.
    I will be replacing all these self tappers with a nut and bolt. Very annoying actually as those lost places included some people I wanted to beat!
    I spent the last few days fitting a performance camshaft, not particularly wild but a lot of lift, 472 thou, as much as you can get with a standard head, valves and springs.
    It is running well, revs out better and has got a great induction sound but of course will need to be retuned, could take a week or two being Christmas!
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 24th December 2015 at 07:34 PM.

Peter Houghton, 79 year old 404 punter from the 1960s was 26th in his long serving Datsun 1600.
    He amazed a lot of the younger competitors, one remarking that the engine sounded stock standard and how could he go so fast. Peter said it hadn't anything major done to it since 1978!
    Brilliant!!!

Jo

COL

Looks like the problem was something as a simple as a loose earth connection, caused by a self tapper loosening off.
    I will be replacing all these self tappers with a nut and bolt. Very annoying actually as those lost places included some people I wanted to beat!
    I spent the last few days fitting a performance camshaft, not particularly wild but a lot of lift, 472 thou, as much as you can get with a standard head, valves and springs.
    It is running well, revs out better and has got a great induction sound but of course will need to be retuned, could take a week or two being Christmas!
    Hi Graham

Post 24 shows you how to do your earths.

Scrape off the paint to make sure you get a good connection.

Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A... - Page 2 - Dodge SRT Forum
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

VIP Sponsor

The engine that is, it does have MCA suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Brilliant!!!

Jo

Thread Information