F1 - Red Bull engine and other rumours
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By David M
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck

Thread: F1 - Red Bull engine and other rumours

Default F1 - Red Bull engine and other rumours

It appears that Renault has agreed to supply engines to Red Bull next year, but Red Bull will develop the engines at their factory in England. The engine is likely to be called Infinity, after Renault's partner, Nissan luxury car brand. Formal announcement is expected from Renault next week.

Lotus team will not carry Renault name next year, Renault wants to improve the car, before it associates Renault brand with the team.

Advertisement

Apparently the original news was originally reported by a French publication Auto Hebdo, I read the news in Finish publication Ilta Sanomat
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

no doubt it is just my ignorance on the matter but if Renault's expertise cant sort out their own motor, how would RB do better?

Time will tell. Red Bull have deep pockets to get the people they need, is it enough, who knows
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

I'll tackle your ignorance with my limited understanding of the situation.�� There are engine issues (Renault's fault) and electrical harvesting / storage which I believe is third party. Brakes on the car are now very small as the the wheels are slowed by electromagnetic drag whilst electricity is supplied to the battery. This hybrid arrangement of energy sources is controlled by software (code)
    Red Bull made huge improvements (not enough) after the first hybrid tests in Jerez when they could only run a few laps at a time. Red Bull wrote their own code to close the gap.
    McLaren Honda are so far down now for the same reason. They "simply" cannot get the fuel restricted ICE and the electrical enhancement to work at max delivery for two laps in a row. The car is exhausted. Mercedes have the best integation and consistent delivery of power.
    I do wonder at the criticism of Renault by Red Bull. Their junior squad has rivalled them with the same engine.
    Kim Luck, FIVEDOOR and JohnW like this.

Are Mercedes using VW software one wonders, seeing as no-one else can get near them? Perhaps not. I still think they developed their current hybrid configuration many moons ago and flogged it to Bernie as the way to go whilst effectively having an enormous lead on the rest of the engine manufacturers. I don't know why we have to have F1 Hybrids anyway, they are a total minority in the real world and will probably ever remain so. Hybrids are totally unrelated to the average car punter, which is why the Formula is getting less popular by the month.
    Lasya likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Are Mercedes using VW software one wonders, seeing as no-one else can get near them? Perhaps not. I still think they developed their current hybrid configuration many moons ago and flogged it to Bernie as the way to go whilst effectively having an enormous lead on the rest of the engine manufacturers. I don't know why we have to have F1 Hybrids anyway, they are a total minority in the real world and will probably ever remain so. Hybrids are totally unrelated to the average car punter, which is why the Formula is getting less popular by the month.
    Renault were actually just as vocal in their support of the new Regs as Mercedes were. It's just Renault were treating it more like a business with a predetermined budget.
    Mercedes had an open cheque book and spent a rumored 1billion euro developing the engine and despite winning the last 2 World Championships, they have lost upwards of 70 mil a season.

Oh, and the story of Redbull developing their own version of Renault engine has been officially debunked. It was a bogus story by an f1 blogger named The Judge. Out of about 20 'rumors' he has touted over the years as fact, only one has eventuated.
    That doesn't mean RB won't run Renault engines however. I don't think they have a choicem
    Last edited by mistareno; 7th November 2015 at 02:08 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    which is why the Formula is getting less popular by the month.
    i realise that this is often said, but is there any objective metric which supports the idea that F1 is becoming less popular?

that aside, i found this from a few months back, while inquiring - unsuccessfully - as to whether F1 is, or is not, becoming less popular.

Full Formula 1 fan survey results revealed - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Red Bull could be using a Renault next year, or perhaps a Ferrari, provided Mateschitz decides they want to stay in Formula 1

Renault engine story:-

Red Bull on brink of new Renault Formula 1 engine deal for 2016 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Ferrari engine story:-

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

Given the two articles and the choice between an improved Renault engine and a detuned Ferrari engine, you would think that its a long way between the rock and the harder place.

Thread Information