• Register
  • Help

Default Toyota WRC Rally boss testing GT86 4WD RALLY CAR

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/07/toy...en-filmed.html

Advertisement
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

gosh it sounds great! much more throaty than the current WRC cars.
    you will likely know the answer to this FD, but i dont suppose the dimensions of that body would suit the current / prospective rules?

i ask that in light of reports that TM has/might scrap the Yaris partially developed in germany so far, in favor of an all new design. i wonder what he sees in it that makes him feel it is/might be uncompetitive? with any luck he will out-drive all their prospective drivers and they will put him behind a wheel. WRC could do with someone with a bit of character in front of a microphone. the current crop are all a bit dry, and Ogier can barely crack a smile even while he is - again - destroying the competition!

yeah that does sound awesome

I would be betting that Toyota 2017 attack on the WRC will be based on the Yaris under development, that seems to be the commonly accepted view in Finland. The hot rumour for the drive is young Finn by the name of Lappi. Have a look at the WRC2 result. In Finland he finished 1 minute 40 sec ahead of the nearest rival. He will be driving for Huyndai again next year before the rumoured change to Toyota. Tommi has stated his first choice for driver is Ogier, but it is not known if he can or is trying to secure him, but there is always room for a developing friver like Lappi in a team.
    Every day is a good day

I just like watching video of guys that can drive....on yer Tommi!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Tommi has stated his first choice for driver is Ogier, but it is not known if he can or is trying to secure him, but there is always room for a developing friver like Lappi in a team.
    given the devastating success of Ogier/VW, i reckon trying to lure him to a different team would develop into quite a bidding war!
    as i read him correctly, Ogier is obsessively focused on winning championships, and i would further guess that not too deep inside is a
    burning desire to beat Loeb's record run of 9. swapping teams part way through that would be risky! he doesnt strike me as a Schumacher type who would swap teams for the challenge of getting a team up and winning.

that aspect aside, TM plainly views Ogier as likely to still be the dominant driver in 2017 and at least a few years beyond. looking at his results, that is not hard to imagine, but interesting to see a former champion of that view as well.

Latvala said that he drove the race of his life at Jyväskyla. Ogier has this seasons title sown up, but if Latvala can maintain that type of focus and commitment, it could be interesting next years, but it's a big ask. Ogier, and Loeb before him have a different driving style to the Finns and they do it very well, they drive straighter, less sideways than Finn traditionally have driven and that was a observation from Latvala.
    Every day is a good day

Banned

interesting comment about style, and now you mention it, i note commentators sometimes refer to Latvala's 'flamboyant' style, which essentially means getting more sideways.

loeb and ogier was/is definitely just faster outright, and that is plain enough with the latter winning the 3 bonus points in the power stage, so often. beyond that, if i think about what really stops others from being the winner, it is probably less to do with outright speed. they can all put in a fastest time if they really push, but of course the harder they push, the more frequently they clip something and break the car. without having tried to tally it, that damage usually starts with clipping one of the rear corners. that, in turn, is logically more of a risk the more you get your car sideways. perhaps Jari might do well to change his style, given that he made the observation! easier said than done i realise...

Banned

on the subject of developing new WRC cars...

given that these cars are just a shell, with an FIA cage, and i think they all use the same gearboxes (right?), and one or two options where dampers are concerned, where is the scope for making a consistently winning car? eg why was citroen so dominant for so long? or now VW? obviously the drivers in each case are a tangible part of the equation, but it doesnt seem to leave much but the motor.

no doubt there are other things, so what is TM going to be looking at to make the Yaris a winner, if possible? maybe all said and done, it is just the person with the hands on the wheel...

You may find this interview with Tommi interesting:-

Q&A: Tommi Makinen - wrc.com

Recent changes have done away with the central differential in name of cost saving and the diffs are now mechanical rather than than active, but I dont know about the gearboxes at present. I know previously (at least in 2007) Subaru were building their own and I vaguely recall Ford (or Ford team) building their own also. The reported cost was six figure sum.

From what I can gather the length and wheelbase are close with the top brands and all run 1820 mm width cars weighing 1200kgs.

Engines are 1600 direct injection turbo(used to be 2 litre) units with 33 mm diamater air restrictors before the turbo and 2.5 bar, thus limiting Hp (to around 300 HP), but some teams are reported to be getting little more grunt than others

Homologation is no longer required, but they use road car as a base, the can use different engine add aero kit and a add 4wd system.

Paddle gear change was not allowed last year but is permitted again this year.

New rules coming in for 2017 with more power, designed to make racing more entertaining.
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 15th August 2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: correction
    Every day is a good day

Banned

thanks for the comment and the link.
    yes, i guess there is alot to play with in all that.

re the Yaris: sounds like they havent even got the band together yet! it will be interesting if they make the 2017 season, and credibly if they do.

i note the 2017 cars will have an extra 55mm track. in the context of other of my comments, that puts the outer edge of each rear tyre 27.5mm closer to the rocks and trees on the side of the course! better start adjusting those pace notes....

By way of background, at it's peak, Tommi Makinen Racing was building 35 rally a year, Not sure if they were all, but mostly Subarus. This number has been dropping in recent years.

You can get the good gear here

Tommi Mäkinen Racing Oy Ltd - Official Subaru group-N rally car dealer - Tommi Mäkinen Racing webshop: All you need for your rallying!
    Every day is a good day

More news - From Team Chairman Akio Toyoda

Tommi Mäkinen Racing Oy Ltd - Latest news - Tommimakinenracing.fi
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information