Rallycross Revival in Australia
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rallycross Revival in Australia

Default Rallycross Revival in Australia

Former 1970's Renault R8 Rallycrosser, Bob Watson, is leading the revival of Rallycross in Victoria with a first meeting scheduled in July at Broadford, about 90kms North of Melbourne.

Advertisement

and the Facebook page is full of old photos:

https://www.facebook.com/rallysportau?fref=ts

I lived in Victoria in the early 1970's when this got going originally at Calder - great spectacle.

Currently being revived around the world. And another Australian group is planning a series - this looks like a more "commercial" venture, ie, big money.

J-man, Kenfuego and Roland like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I spoke with Bob at the Myrniong Sprints recently about this.
    Sounds like a great way to get some additional club+ level motorsport action.
    Those 10year old rally cars can get another airing
    Kim Luck likes this.

COL

Be good if it gets some television coverage for us inter-staters
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Be good if it gets some television coverage for us inter-staters
    We might be lucky and have a bit of coverage - I doubt if Foxtel will be paying them $millions for it!!!
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

VIP Sponsor

10 year old? The majority of rally cars are much older than that!
    I will be taking my 405 Mi16 to the demonstration day on the 21st of this month.
    This is a typical autocross car, the 2nd level of competition, so should be able to give some feedback on the suitability of the track for less modified cars.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    I spoke with Bob at the Myrniong Sprints recently about this.
    Sounds like a great way to get some additional club+ level motorsport action.
    Those 10year old rally cars can get another airing
    Kenfuego and Fordman like this.

Do you know if the demonstration day is open to the public?

Or invite only?

VIP Sponsor

I'm sure that there would be no problem if you turned up to watch, maybe even get a ride around the track.

Graham

Do you know if the demonstration day is open to the public?

Or invite only?

I dunno, these days you're likely to turn up and have security at the gate unless invited.
    I note there is a "register your interest" form on the website under News item: "Rallycross Australia launches!".
    Probably no harm in getting on the invite list, or at least getting updates?

Cheers.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

VIP Sponsor

Yes, do that just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    I dunno, these days you're likely to turn up and have security at the gate unless invited.
    I note there is a "register your interest" form on the website under News item: "Rallycross Australia launches!".
    Probably no harm in getting on the invite list, or at least getting updates?

Cheers.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Be good to see it again.

I remember some epic battles between Brock, Collier, Watson and the others. The track layout at Katoomba being in an amphitheatre lent itself to the spectacle too.

VIP Sponsor

Have changed tack with the 405, will be a while until it is running, but with the good engine.
    Better to concentrate on the 205 for the moment since it is going well and very reliable, I won't be doing anything special to the 309, until it is needed, either.
    I will have the 205 there on Thursday.
    Fordman and Kim Luck like this.

VIP Sponsor

Just got back, fantastic fun!!
    The 205 went great on the dirt (mud) and I found I could go for it from the start without the reservations some others had.
    Not so good on the bitumen, very slippery in the rear on the uphill left hander.
    Checked the tyre pressures and they were OK but when I got to the car wash the back right was almost flat, so a bit of a mystery as it did feel exactly like a flat.
    I think the 405 may be the better all round car as the 205 is set up for gravel not bitumen. Would need to take off the front spoiler and replace with one from a base model though, there a few sharp dips.
    Need to see whether we can build the good XU9J4 by the first event, 19th of July!

Edit, just remembered there will be a water splash, not going to risk getting water into the new engine, will cobble something together for a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Have changed tack with the 405, will be a while until it is running, but with the good engine.
    Better to concentrate on the 205 for the moment since it is going well and very reliable, I won't be doing anything special to the 309, until it is needed, either.
    I will have the 205 there on Thursday.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 21st May 2015 at 06:35 PM.
    Kim Luck, Fordman and Codman like this.

Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

VIP Sponsor

Yes, mine.

The 203 was mine, it has just been resold, I didn't ask how much for, I'm thinking it may have been a better idea to keep it as an investment. Still got the stock one though, which is possibly worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

VIP Sponsor

Just checked out my other Mi16, the clutch fault turned out to be just adjustment, so this will do fine as a fill in car and will be entered for the first event on the 19th of July.

Just got back, fantastic fun!!
    The 205 went great on the dirt (mud) and I found I could go for it from the start without the reservations some others had.
    Not so good on the bitumen, very slippery in the rear on the uphill left hander.
    Checked the tyre pressures and they were OK but when I got to the car wash the back right was almost flat, so a bit of a mystery as it did feel exactly like a flat.
    I think the 405 may be the better all round car as the 205 is set up for gravel not bitumen. Would need to take off the front spoiler and replace with one from a base model though, there a few sharp dips.
    Need to see whether we can build the good XU9J4 by the first event, 19th of July!

Edit, just remembered there will be a water splash, not going to risk getting water into the new engine, will cobble something together for a trial.

What tyres are you going to run?
    Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

VIP Sponsor

This is just a fun project, at least for the time being, so will run the Bridgestone RE002s that I currently have.
    There is actually nothing much in the way of tight bends on the dirt, (I had my old totally worn out rally tyres on, which were fine in the very wet conditions) so grip on the bitumen is probably more important anyway.
    I took the Mi16 for a drive and apart from instantaneous cut out under load followed by instant power on (won't do the diff a lot of good!) it goes great, certainly the best revving one I have driven, it had 17 inch wheels, maybe it has a cam too?
    The cutting out problem should be the coil I would think.

It is a very early full lux pack car, looking forward to getting a lot of weight out.
    It has ABS, which will need to be disabled or I will kill myself trying to stop on the dirt, just unplug?

Graham

Pull the fuse maybe?
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

I used to pull the fuse in my old WRX. I forgot once and nearly ended up in the pond at the old Oran Park dirt track.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, for a marginal improvement in safety on bitumen ABS brakes are a death trap on gravel or dirt.
    I have never understood how they were allowed to be fitted.
    Same for stability control, a little tail slide on gravel can develop into a major accident if it is fitted. Apparently if you do nothing is a bit safer than an average driver's response to a slide.
    If you go to correct the slide you will go off the road and maybe be killed.
    I was in a Discovery that cut the power when entering a patch of mud, we spun and luckily it was wide open area and we only stuffed the side trim when we went sideways over a bush.

QUOTE=Warus;1355062]I used to pull the fuse in my old WRX. I forgot once and nearly ended up in the pond at the old Oran Park dirt track.[/QUOTE]

VIP Sponsor

Cutting out was the AFM, clutch adjusted up fine.

This is just a fun project, at least for the time being, so will run the Bridgestone RE002s that I currently have.
    There is actually nothing much in the way of tight bends on the dirt, (I had my old totally worn out rally tyres on, which were fine in the very wet conditions) so grip on the bitumen is probably more important anyway.
    I took the Mi16 for a drive and apart from instantaneous cut out under load followed by instant power on (won't do the diff a lot of good!) it goes great, certainly the best revving one I have driven, it had 17 inch wheels, maybe it has a cam too?
    The cutting out problem should be the coil I would think.

It is a very early full lux pack car, looking forward to getting a lot of weight out.
    It has ABS, which will need to be disabled or I will kill myself trying to stop on the dirt, just unplug?

Graham

1000+ Posts

Great news-often wondered if it would ever get ressurected-Bob's aged a little since I last saw him.

"Broadford pulls plug

The Chairman of Rallycross Mangement Australia Bob Watson announced today that as the result of a shock decision by Motorcycling Victoria the plans to hold Rallycross meetings at the Broadford Motorcycling complex will not proceed
    In a statement today, the CEO of Morcycling Victoria Wayne Holdsworth said “It is the decision of the MC Board not to continue to host Rallycross events in the future”. Reasons given were “financial risk associated with track maintenance and potential track damage bringing the requirement to resurface”, and “Reputational damage with the curent majority user groups”."

Broadford pulls plug | Rallycross Australia

As a former bike racer I can understand this, although disapointed.
    Anything dragging dirt onto the Broadford circuit was always going to cause some concern from the bike racing side of the fence (the curent majority user group).
    Fact: Broadford is not the safest circuit for bikes in the first place, limited run-off and a couple of blind points that have resulted in a number of fatalities and serious injuries over the years.
    So the risk of surface damage and gravel/mud is a legitimate issue to consider and overcome.
    I feel for Bob and the effort expected to date, but not shocked at the change in situation.

VIP Sponsor

I could see this coming, Motorcyling Victoria pulled out of an Autocross deal with Cerberus Car Club and this was nowhere near the bitumen track. It was actually used once before they pulled the pin.
    They have all these unused dirt tracks around the property now!

"Broadford pulls plug

The Chairman of Rallycross Mangement Australia Bob Watson announced today that as the result of a shock decision by Motorcycling Victoria the plans to hold Rallycross meetings at the Broadford Motorcycling complex will not proceed
    In a statement today, the CEO of Morcycling Victoria Wayne Holdsworth said “It is the decision of the MC Board not to continue to host Rallycross events in the future”. Reasons given were “financial risk associated with track maintenance and potential track damage bringing the requirement to resurface”, and “Reputational damage with the curent majority user groups”."

Broadford pulls plug | Rallycross Australia

As a former bike racer I can understand this, although disapointed.
    Anything dragging dirt onto the Broadford circuit was always going to cause some concern from the bike racing side of the fence (the curent majority user group).
    Fact: Broadford is not the safest circuit for bikes in the first place, limited run-off and a couple of blind points that have resulted in a number of fatalities and serious injuries over the years.
    So the risk of surface damage and gravel/mud is a legitimate issue to consider and overcome.
    I feel for Bob and the effort expected to date, but not shocked at the change in situation.

COL

Is there another venue that can be used, one where they don't mind a little bit of dirt getting on the bitumen.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information