• 1 Post By Fordman
  • 1 Post By pgti6
  • 1 Post By Kenfuego
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By StephenH
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: The Free-to-Air argument.

Default The Free-to-Air argument.

Now that we are well into the season of limited (very) Free To Air motorsport coverage, I wonder how it will pan out? For those of us watching both Formula 1 and V8 Supercars, it's a double blow. Both categories have traditionally been well covered in Australia (F1 since 1981 and V8s before that). I am finding the delayed and abbreviated highlights to be almost a waste of time, but better than nothing.
    I know some of the pros and cons have already been discussed on a previous F1 thread, but thought it maybe was worth it's own thread.
    On the weekend, I watched the highlights of V8's at Barbagallo. Yes it's my local track, but I couldn't afford the time to spend all day there, along with the distance, traffic, and substantial entry cost. Rumours are that the crowd numbers were down, but that was only by observation - it will be interesting to see if people lose interest in both F1 and V8 if they can't keep up with the series. I also think there is a bit of a begrudging feeling about the loss of FTA TV, disenchanted fans will "boycott" the events in spite.

Being of fair mind and character (), I found myself thinking that maybe Foxtel would be worth it, one of the reasons is I found that the Le Mans series including the 24hr, and also the Indianapolis 500, will be on Fox. And maybe I am just being a cheapskate by expecting too much on FTA. And I decided that maybe $25 per month to see better coverage of my favourite sport would be worth it. However, to get the Sports channel, you need to get the basic package of Entertainment at $25 first, so it's $50 per month. Now I have had a look at the Entertainment package and find there is very little or nothing on there that we want, or need, to watch. So I feel it's a bit of a con that I have to pay for something I don't want to get the package I would be prepared to pay for.

But I really do wonder how long this will last, especially in the case of the V8s which ostensibly is a local Australian product, and there is very strong feeling about it going to pay TV,

If you want a bit of a chuckle, have a look at the "official" V8 Supercars Facebook page. I thought I would have a look to see if there was any backlash comment, and find that nearly EVERY item posted is replied by comments on lack of FTA TV coverage. Talk about trolls, it must be frustrating for the PR people updating that page, it is almost monotonous, but sort of funny. My conclusion is that if they don't take any notice of the backlash, they (the V8 Supercars company) have very thick skins.

There is also a Facebook page dedicated to the FTA campaign with a large following, which is not surprising.

I somehow don't feel that bad about F1 coverage, it is an international sport, billion dollar business, and they can do what they like, but I do wonder if this will all result in both categories getting a loss of interest from the less enthusiastic followers. Maybe they don't care.

Advertisement

dvr likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

How must the companies who put substantial amounts of sponsorship dollars into the sport and the television advertisers feel about having a smaller audience reach? I suppose the 1 hour packaged highlights are better than none at all in terms of 'some' exposure.

Brett Ramsay on Ch31 raised this issue a few weeks ago with someone from RMIT's Media Studies Unit, and although she believed it wouldn't necessarily be a major problem as the advertisers could more effectively target the rev head community, I'm not so sure.

Asking the fan base to subscribe to a Foxtel package with dross attached seems a bridge-too-far and I for one wouldn't touch anything which has Murdoch's fingerprints on it.

I don't know how much Ch10 paid for the broadcast rights this year but realise the commercial realities of recouping that cost through advertising alone will be difficult. I think F1 broadcast rights have risen recently, so maybe they had little choice to go in this direction?

Even though there will be 12 F1 races shown on FTA this year, who's to say that will continue?

Looks like I'll get my motorsport 'fix' from Speedweek, In Pit Lane & Car Torque and occasional events I can attend at Sandown & Phillip Island.
    Fordman likes this.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6 View Post
    How must the companies who put substantial amounts of sponsorship dollars into the sport and the television advertisers feel about having a smaller audience reach? I suppose the 1 hour packaged highlights are better than none at all in terms of 'some' exposure.
    For the heck of it, last night I sat there with a stopwatch, the highlights was actually 43 mins, so I guess about 15 mins of advertising.

Don't mind the commercials really, but they did keep on about Master Chef coming to Ch10, and I remembered from years ago that I suffered from passive Big Brother syndrome, where I never watched an episode of it, but knew all about it because I was trying to watch motorsport on Ch10! Reason enough to go Foxtel????

2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Icon12 Getting what We want to see, choice of programs. The Future?

The entry of new players in the pay TV side of things, might cut out the heart of the industry leaving less room for niche viewing say in sports with limited or restricted general interest over the paying spectrum, these are some of the new players about to enter the Australian TV entertainment industry.

The other issue, in business terms, is how it impacts the existing market's key segments, digital free-to-air TV and pay TV.

Sean James, who runs the Foxtel-owned Presto says they believe the markets for paid linear channels and paid streaming of movies and TV are sufficiently different. "[It's] the other end of the spectrum," James says. Plus, he notes, Foxtel has lowered its entry price to $25 and aggressively markets add-on products, such as the iPad app Foxtel Go and the IQ3 device.

Stan's Sneesby doesn't believe there will be an immediate, measurable impact on either free-to-air or pay TV. "Free-to-air because it's dominated in prime time and high advertising rate times by news, sport, current affairs and locally produced reality television," he says. "And in the pay TV space, it will dominate in non-pay TV households, which is the other 75 per cent of the market."

Craig White, whose EzyFlix.tv has a year's head start and more specifically competes with other transactional businesses such as Google Play and iTunes, says the arrival of Stan, Netflix and Presto will signal a "huge awakening to the fact that people can access a lot of content legitimately, legally, through services that are now more available to them".

But he has one word of warning. It is not competition against existing players which puts the three newcomers most at risk, but how effectively they avoid cannibalising each other.

Even in the US, White notes, there are only two major video-on-demand services: Netflix and Amazon Prime, with Hulu Plus coming a distant third. "I don't think that four services can sustain themselves offering an all-you-can-eat $10 a month service," he says. "There won't be enough exclusive content that consumers will participate in all four and I think that he with the biggest library will win."

Read more: Stan, Netflix, Presto set to reshape Australia's Pay TV market
    Not sure what the long term impact will be other than there will be a larger choice of absolute rubbish touted as must see, and all sorts of hooks to bring in the couch potato's and get them watching only those channels and I guess there could be spin off's as some get recycled on Free to Air (free to watch but we expect to get our money back through increased sales of products padded out and advertised on free to air. so not actually free just appears to be, someone pays in the end.

Pay TV is also fast becoming chock a block with advertising and that will have its effect on Free to Airs capacity to present sports events as most also now have huge price points for the more popular events.

Could be a good time to enter the pay TV merry -go- around as the different entrants compete for viewers, but expect that after a few years they will buy each other out till a monopoly captures the events and stock film and documentaries available in the world market.

Have been away from Pay TV for extended period and am really starting to question the need to contribute, though there are some programs and documentaries I like, but the rest are rubbish.

I wish we had the ability to dial up a program of choice, no adds, and I guess somewhere on this new age world of technology the customer might have that choice

Regards

Ken
    Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    The entry of new players in the pay TV side of things, might cut out the heart of the industry leaving less room for niche viewing say in sports with limited or restricted general interest over the paying spectrum, these are some of the new players about to enter the Australian TV entertainment industry.

Not sure what the long term impact will be other than there will be a larger choice of absolute rubbish touted as must see, and all sorts of hooks to bring in the couch potato's and get them watching only those channels and I guess there could be spin off's as some get recycled on Free to Air (free to watch but we expect to get our money back through increased sales of products padded out and advertised on free to air. so not actually free just appears to be, someone pays in the end.

Pay TV is also fast becoming chock a block with advertising and that will have its effect on Free to Airs capacity to present sports events as most also now have huge price points for the more popular events.

Could be a good time to enter the pay TV merry -go- around as the different entrants compete for viewers, but expect that after a few years they will buy each other out till a monopoly captures the events and stock film and documentaries available in the world market.

Have been away from Pay TV for extended period and am really starting to question the need to contribute, though there are some programs and documentaries I like, but the rest are rubbish.

I wish we had the ability to dial up a program of choice, no adds, and I guess somewhere on this new age world of technology the customer might have that choice

Regards

Ken
    Torrents.
    Fordman likes this.

Someone else in this place a short while ago suggested a way by which it was possible to watch sport live from almost anywhere in the world. Being a sensible sport enthusiast I followed his lead and have been very happy with the results as I have subsequently viewed anything I wanted to very, very cheaply......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Someone else in this place a short while ago suggested a way by which it was possible to watch sport live from almost anywhere in the world. Being a sensible sport enthusiast I followed his lead and have been very happy with the results as I have subsequently viewed anything I wanted to very, very cheaply......

Haven't checked all those options yet, as I don't see myself relaxing in front of the computer screen for hours, nor have I checked the ability to save for future viewing.

And I am in a fairly slow internet speed area. Foxtel have the system set up to enable viewing content via internet without the Foxtel paraphernalia in the house, but it costs the same per month!
    Last edited by Fordman; 4th May 2015 at 06:41 PM.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Torrents.
    I haven't looked into this yet, but as you say in another thread, no such thing as a free lunch - or is there???

But I guess it would rely on a fairly decent internet connection, which I don't have (about 3mbps or is it Mbps at my location). Cheekily, I will say that it will all be good when NBN comes through!

2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Well, I have watched 1 highlight package only to date this year, in the past I found the packaged 'highlights' often missed the stuff I found interesting, so I haven't bothered with either V8s or F1.
    With FTA I would generally record the F1, then watch the bulk of it later, including most of the adverts excepting those for serial reality TV blabber.

Twice in the last 6 months I have looked at the Foxtel offers and I just can't see the value (to me) to sign up.
    The only part of the offers I actually find tempting is the on-demand stuff, which isn't practical for me due to slow internet speeds.

Could lead to a resurgance of outdoor activity, actual talking and relaxing reading
    Fordman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    Could lead to a resurgance of outdoor activity, actual talking and relaxing reading
    I hate people talking when I'm reading.....inside or out....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Anyone watch the Spanish GP highlights package on Ch 10?

I again found it jumped around such that I lost track of it.
    I think Rosberg won, and Dan Ricciado is starring in Master Chef this year.

I just went back to the recording because I couldn't remember seeing the championship table at the end. It wasn't there, nor was the table of finishers for the day.

2004 WRX (Sunday car)

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    ...............I wish we had the ability to dial up a program of choice, no adds, and I guess somewhere on this new age world of technology the customer might have that choice

Regards

Ken
    it's called a DVD player mate, watch what you want when you want and when you're bored with it toss it and toddle down to the opshop or cashconverters and get a couple more......

pay to watch ads c'mon fellas !

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Ken,
    it's called a DVD player mate, watch what you want when you want and when you're bored with it toss it and toddle down to the opshop or cashconverters and get a couple more......

pay to watch ads c'mon fellas !

cheers,
    Bob
    Or for live broadcasts, maybe it is "Pay Not to watch Ads" or "Don't pay - to watch Ads"!

tasgill likes this.
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    I think Rosberg won, and Dan Ricciado is starring in Master Chef this year.
    :
    haha i like it.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I haven't bothered wanting to keep abreast of the F1 season this year. That's a first for me after years of enthusiastic watching right back to the old days of Murray Walker, James Hunt, Nigel Mansell and the rest of those legends.

I find the delayed telecast disjointed and lacking, plus the way they speed up the transmission by a few percent destroys the sense of realism. Watching the marshals flagwaving at the end and people walking really demonstrates that few percent.

Thread Information