3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes
    4. Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari
    5. Valtteri Bottas, Williams
    6. Felipe Massa, Williams
    7. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso
    8. Carlos Sainz jr., Toro Rosso
    9. Daniil Kvjat, Red Bull
    10. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull

Looks like Ferrari have found some pace. Vettel stayed out on track taking the lead when Mercs pitted for tyres during safety car and managed the race on two sets where as both Merc made it a three stop race.

Vettel qualified in second.

Kimi started from 11th position after disastrous qualifying where he left his last run in Q2 late and when the traffic backed up due to rain he ran out of time to improve his time. Kimi was hit soon after start of the race and got a flat, but safety car allowed hit to catch the queue and raced well to finish fourth.

Advertisement

Daniel Ricciardo qualified fourth but finished 10th in the race.

Neither McLaren finished
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

And those "late watchers" better not watch the TV or listen to the radio or read the newspaper!

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

It would seem Red Bull have more to worry about than a power deficit.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by rubyalpine View Post
    And those "late watchers" better not watch the TV or listen to the radio or read the newspaper!

Henry
    or talk to anyone or go online or...

Believe it or not, there are those who avoid hearing/reading the results so they can watch the delayed coverage without knowing the outcome beforehand.

Sure, it'll be harder this year now it's not live on FTA, but the forum has guidelines and all I did was bring that to the OP's attention.

If you have an issue with it, take it up with Admin.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I reckon it sucks now that there is no free to air coverage of the F1. I can't be bothered getting excited over the series if I can't watch it live.

Re reading some recent posts might get your interest back again.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    I reckon it sucks now that there is no free to air coverage of the F1. I can't be bothered getting excited over the series if I can't watch it live.
    Agree, and bugger me if I'm going to pay money so rupert can fill my screen with advertising.

Jo

Administrator

I have followed F1 since I was knee high, but I can't help but wonder if the death of Formula1 is nigh.

The latest engine (or power unit) and its associated components are so incredibly complicated that it has driven costs up massively since its inception.

I can see the reasoning for trying to go 'green' but I'm not sure they chose the right way. I think a move to biofuel and a fuel limit would've been better (and cheaper to implement) and perhaps more relevant to the future of motorsport.

F1 has already lost two teams and rumor has it Sauber, Lotus and Force India are on the brink. Part of that has to come down to the rising costs of an already expensive exercise and when nearly half the grid are 'pay drivers' you know there are problems.

TV audiences have been steadily dropping in heartland areas and now important national GP's are struggling to draw crowds. The reigning F1 champions, Mercedes, should guarantee German interest, yet their own GP has been canceled.

If the field gets further decimated, then I think the TV audiences in Europe will continue to dive and that will start a death spiral that I'm not sure the sport can recover from. I hope the ship can be turned around, but the iceberg is coming up fast imo...

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I have followed F1 since I was knee high, but I can't help but wonder if the death of Formula1 is nigh.

The latest engine (or power unit) and its associated components are so incredibly complicated that it has driven costs up massively since its inception.

I can see the reasoning for trying to go 'green' but I'm not sure they chose the right way. I think a move to biofuel and a fuel limit would've been better (and cheaper to implement) and perhaps more relevant to the future of motorsport.

F1 has already lost two teams and rumor has it Sauber, Lotus and Force India are on the brink. Part of that has to come down to the rising costs of an already expensive exercise and when nearly half the grid are 'pay drivers' you know there are problems.

TV audiences have been steadily dropping in heartland areas and now important national GP's are struggling to draw crowds. The reigning F1 champions, Mercedes, should guarantee German interest, yet their own GP has been canceled.

If the field gets further decimated, then I think the TV audiences in Europe will continue to dive and that will start a death spiral that I'm not sure the sport can recover from. I hope the ship can be turned around, but the iceberg is coming up fast imo...
    Thats exactly the thoughts I was having on sunday night as I sat there with the TV off and no mates on either side.
    Then I though..Nah, I'm just a nobody in australia, in a tiny spec of a market in the Southern ocean.

For me , it gets better though...

2 years ago and for as long as I remember, the F1 official website had a nice live timing page which would be shown under my telle for when it got exciting and they cut to an ad.

last year it got dumbed down to omit crucial timing info, and this year i cant even get onto it without paying and it looks like it is an app designed for tablets and more mobile devices.
    Also their web page has been designed by a moron.
    When you have a good product and you go and change it massively so that it is unrecognisable, yet is basicly delivering the same product, surely someone would ask...."Was the old website so crap that it needed a total redesign????"
    Seemingly not.

So not only has F1 website lost some feeeloading customers to show the adds that they charge money for, but the TV and trackside
    advertisers miss out too, which probably wont help that spiral one little bit.

Jo

Maybe the demise of F1 has been pre-planned, because the new E formula is ready to replace it!

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Maybe the demise of F1 has been pre-planned, because the new E formula is ready to replace it!

Henry
    Formula E - Official FIA Formula E Championship

Rich Big Boys Scalectrix............
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Henry
    I made the mistake of watching one round. They have pit stops to change cars. I assume the batteries take too long to charge. Speed appears so, so. Not for me thanks.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Tadpole

Don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this but everyone should put their safety glasses on because I am going to have dummy spit and I don't want to take someone's eye out.
    I only found out a couple of days ago that only half the F1 races will be live on free TV. I cant believe that after only missing a handful races in 35 years that I could not watch the Malaysian GP live. I cant understand how ten, Murdock, and F1 think this is a good idea. Just from there point of view they are restricting their audience to (cant remember the exact number but it is something like) 30% of the population who are Foxtel subscribers.
    I don't mind paying for it but I will never pay Foxtel to pump ads and the Murdock view of the world down my throat.
    I agree with an earlier point, F1 is definitely going through a period that could well made it second rate if not redundant. Hard to think it could get here after only a couple of years ago we had the best season ever ( 7 different winners in the 7 races).

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Agree, and bugger me if I'm going to pay money so rupert can fill my screen with advertising.

Jo
    I watched the coverage at a rich friend's house

There was not a single advert (other than on the cars and the fences around the track) and as a bonus, there was no Rusty, AJ or Darryl commentary.

Apart from having to impose on said rich friends, it was a win-win in terms of F1 enjoyment.

Alas, the prospect of merely a delayed "highlights" package late at night whenever Ten feels like it for half the season's races is a travesty.

Despite the driver involved and the carry on from said driver, I was quite happy for a Ferrari to win - and very comprehensively I might add.

That's two races with two different winners
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    There was not a single advert (other than on the cars and the fences around the track) and as a bonus, there was no Rusty, AJ or Darryl commentary.
    )
    Having watched the 1 hour highlights last night, and having received very little enjoyment from it, regardless of it looking like a reasonably interesting GP, I noted the on-track commentary was not the usual Brundle/Allen combination. The commentators sounded like the guys who do the motor bikes - or was it just their similar accents. Anyway, they seemed a bit fast talking, excitable fellows, and didn't do much for me. Is that just the channel I was watching (One), or is it just a one-off, I wonder?

Personally, I don't mind the Aussie introducers, they can add the odd comment or two, like Jones's comment at the Aus GP re where the billions of $ in F1 is going - "Straight into Bernie's pockets!" - maybe that's why they aren't back on!

As for the highlights package, I just couldn't get into it. Losing the in-between bits just lost me the continuity of it all. And prior knowledge of the winner didn't help (from the news, not from AF). Though I was glad to see SV win in the Ferrari, I don't think it will happen too often. And cynically, it seemed like One packed all the commercials for a full GP into the highlights!

As we are having a little "knife in the back of F1" session - my personal gripe is that it is a billion dollar business, making millionaires, from a business that relies on volunteer labour to function. Not that I mind volunteering my services as a CAMS official but nowadays I get more enjoyment out of club events, than the big ones. And not that I would want to get paid to do it, but just that nagging feeling that the organisers are stuffing their pockets, while upwards of 500 (my guess) volunteers are giving their time to let a GP take place.
    Same goes for the V8 Supercars for that matter. In the days when Rally Australia was held in WA, I went to an Official's briefing with over 1400 volunteers! I don't have the same feelings towards the WRC because they don't seem to be such a business entity charging exhorbitant gate entries to the public, nor becoming millionaires.

I am guessing that many, if not all, of those volunteers, enjoy watching the F1 GP series on TV for the rest of the season. I also guess that the organisers would be quite happy to say they should just pay for the privilege.

My whinge for the day.

jo proffi, FIVEDOOR and dvr like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Bugger ch 10, they also have tried to make the moto gp followers go to pay tv,no more direct coverage on free to air, have to wait till wed morn at 2am for a high light package,every one will be asleep, bastards.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Fordman has made a very serious and enlightening point about Bernie, Foxtel and the rest getting super rich on the backs of volunteers! His point about the hierarchy eventually charging volunteers may not be so far fetched either.

What would it take for a revolt of the volunteers to boycott next year's Aussie F1? And maybe doing so with ultimatums for those super wealthy to start returning significant $$$ to grass roots motorsports and volunteers. If we lose the F1 so be it. But if it became an international revolt...
    Last edited by dvr; 31st March 2015 at 07:28 PM.

Tadpole

The news that Motogp is no longer live nearly made my head explode if it wasn't for the fact that it had been in a slow decline for about 5-6 years anyway. Bikes were my first passion so it has pained me to watch it become less and less relevant over the years as well as becoming more and more elitist and the private domain of V.Rossi.

The comment about motorsport riding on the back of volunteers is interesting, it is true but so do race teams. Most race teams only work because a large number of the people involved in them do it for the fun of it without any payment, even the big teams that we think are full on businesses are like that. But the non interested public think all these professional teams are filled with well paid employees, they even think all the drivers are paid.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents about the foxtel coverage.....I think its bloody great.... Full sky coverage with no ads....Channel 10 coverage while it was free....Allan jones great bloke but hopeless commentator. Sky coverage has so much depth so much more professional...I got foxtel just for the footy and f1 coverage and pretty happy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I doubt there would be any resentment about volunteers helping and supporting most racing teams and race meetings.

Where there is a grievance though is when the principals who don't even run a team can take advantage of the massive amount of volunteer work to host a premier event, ream us and add to their billions.

Is there an ethical issue at play here as well as the financial one?
    Fordman likes this.

Ethics and Formula 1? Come off the grass!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Ethics and Formula 1? Come off the grass!
    The highlight has got to be Burnie getting busted for bribery, and then doing what he knows best.....bribing the german Gov to make it go away.... If it didn't actually happen, you wouldn't believe it.

100 million dollars I believe was the second bribe to the gov.

Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information