[Q] CAMS 4-Point Fixings
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 [Q] CAMS 4-Point Fixings

The website always give me a headache; it seems to rely on knowledge at some level I do not possess. Hoping therefore, someone can either direct me to the exact document, or give a potted summary of the current regs.

For Marque Sports, what are the structural requirements for a four-point harness to be acceptably fixed off? I'm talking about adequacy of reinforcement plating, welded tags, eye bolts and other fasteners.

Thanks, Adam.

Advertisement

I can't answer your question specifically, but I thought if the requirements are not in the specific marque sports section, then they will be in the earlier sections (that appear at the front of the CAMS manual in hard copy) as they are general across all sections.

I believe any plating has to follow the profile of the floorpan etc underneath if it is not flat and that the eyebolts have to have their rating stamped or embossed I think. It's been 4-5 yrs since I've read the manual however.

Have you read schedule I?
    KB

It's currently crashed again (all the tech PDFs).

While the car in question is having so much other panel work done, is a good time to get all the weld spatter over with. Especially if it needs tags on the cage for FHR as well (got to be honest, I haven't checked to see if this applies or not).

Worth persisting. There is a fair amount about mounting harnesses and the maximum amount of angle (down from the drivers shoulders) and how far the rear mounts can angle out that IS specified. Best to check before you weld.

I will say however, that the regs seem lighter than they were 10yrs ago, which must be a first.

A friend was a scrutineer for the Finke desert rally a number of years ago and this guy rocked up with a custom US built buggy worth +100k, which failed scrutineering based on exceeding the maximum "droop" angle for the shoulder straps!
    KB

Agreed; it may never be scrutineered but no point failing to observe simple rules at the building stage. Found this:

http://docs.cams.com.au/Regulations/...0Restraint.pdf

It does detail what I wanted to know right near the end, and it's current. I would have failed on plate sizing.

Yes, that's schedule I but combined with another section when it was updated - they send any updates out as a technical bulletin for scrutineers and competitors. That should be all you need to meet for the harness unless there is anything specific in the section covering sports cars which using are categorised by age range.
    KB

Been pondering this some more, and I think the first intelligent step is actually selecting and mounting a suitable seat to suit the driver.

That way the angles you mention - as outlined in the Technical Bulletin - can be optimised.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    The website always give me a headache; it seems to rely on knowledge at some level I do not possess. Hoping therefore, someone can either direct me to the exact document, or give a potted summary of the current regs.

For Marque Sports, what are the structural requirements for a four-point harness to be acceptably fixed off? I'm talking about adequacy of reinforcement plating, welded tags, eye bolts and other fasteners.

Thanks, Adam.

From Cams Manual

Or easier - search roo racing shop they have the plates.

So use existing seatbelt mounts or a plate no smaller than 75x 50 x 3mm mounted external

MOUNTINGS

A safety harness shall be securely mounted on at least two points (Type D), three points (Types B and C) or five points (Type A) in compliance with the prescriptions of Drawings I-1, I-2 and I-3. If the two shoulder straps (Types B and C) join prior to a common mounting point then that junction shall be at least 150mm behind the wearer’s neck.

Under no circumstances shall a safety harness mounting bolt be used to affix a safety cage to the bodyshell.

A safety harness shall be mounted as per one of the following installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions with consideration of the requirements when using a Frontal Head Restraint and application of the following:

The shoulder straps shall be directed to the rear and installed in such a way that they do not make an angle greater than 45° to the horizontal from the occupants shoulder. It is highly recommended that this angle should not exceed 10°, (refer drawing I-1). The maximum angles in relation to the centre-line of the seat are 20° divergent or convergent (refer drawing I-2). The shoulder straps may be installed crosswise symmetrically about the centre-line of the front seat.

Mounting points for a safety harness:

(a) on a series production automobile, any unmodified seat belt mounting point may be used;

(b) where a safety harness is affixed to an un-reinforced section of the body shell, each attachment point shall be reinforced by the use of a plate not less than 75mm x 50mm x 3mm thick (refer drawing I-4);

(c) except for a crutch strap mounted in accordance with (e) any bolt used shall be a minimum of 10mm grade 8.8, or an eye bolt to the recognised thread diameter of 7/16" or 11mm except for homologated 1st category applications;

(d) shoulder straps may be fixed to the safety cage or to a reinforcement bar by means of a loop, and/or be fixed or leaning on a transverse reinforcement welded between the backstays of the safety cage in accordance with Schedule J, Article 15.1 (e) Safety Harness mounting to a transversal member and drawing J-27, J-28.

(e) only a crutch scrap or straps may be mounted in accordance with drawing I-6 where the following shall apply:

• Bars shall not bend under a strap load of at least 14.7kN

• All edges shall be appropriately rounded (>1.5mm radius)

• The bars shall directly clamp on each other firmly clamping the webbing

• The belt is correctly routed in accordance with drawing I-6

• A minimum of two 8mm grade 8.8 bolts shall be used
    Current Stable
    Nissan Patrol
    2018 Mercedes Vito
    Renault Megane 225 Cup
    Ford Sierra XR4ti
    Ford Sierra Cosworth (Track Car)
    1971 Mini Clubman

Previous Pugs
    1997 306 formula 2 kit car (Gravel Rally Car)
    87,88,89 and 1990 205 GTI
    2007 407 HDI
    1989 405 Mi 16
    1998 306 XSI
    1991 405 Mi16
    1996 306 S16

Thread Information