• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lozenge
  • 1 Post By 2CV David
  • 1 Post By alexander

Thread: Alonso quits Ferrari - It's official

Default Alonso quits Ferrari - It's official

The official announcement has been made that Alonso quit Ferrari.

Since the announcement of Vettel quitting Red Bull, it was widely believed Vettel was going to Ferrari, but no official announcement has been made.

No official announcement has been made of where Alonso is going, but it is widely believed he has been in negotiations with Honda, the engine supplier to McLaren for 2015.

This in turn leaves the two McLaren drivers on tender hooks as to their future.

Advertisement

So it continues.

Fernando Alonso leaving Ferrari, says outgoing president
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Banned

is Alonso moving because Ferrari is failing to perform, do you think? pardon my ignorance if this is well known already...
    I am surprised by Vettel... 4 championships, and 1 poor year, and he is moving. apparently he feels that this previously winning team isnt giving him a platform from which to win again. what is he seeing?

I think poor team performance has to be a big reason as the big money is obviously no longer enough. Alonso has been with Ferrari since 2010 with no success in terms of titles and one could argue that the team performance has been the weakest this year. He is 33 years of age, so if he wants to chase another title, he may think he has to chase it elsewhere. The other issue is that the performance was such this year that he was able to exercise get out option in his contract, if he does not take that option up, he could have been stuck at Ferrari until his contract runs out.

Recent happy birthday wishes from Ferrari to Kimi interestingly refereed to Kimi as their champion which I took to be a dig by the team at Alonso, even though he has outperformed Kimi this year, he has not won a title for Ferrari, but Kimi has.

https://twitter.com/InsideFerrari/st...21663487926272

It must hurt Vettel's pride that the new kid on the block has been able to get better performance out of the new car that he has struggled with all year. All the official talk of the reasons for leaving has been needing new challenges etc etc, but he is never going to win another title in a team where he can't beat his team mate. I think sooner he leave, the less damage Daniel will do to his reputation and dollar earning capacity.

Once his mind was made up to leave, where is he going to go if he hopes to win again. McLaren, Mercedes or perhaps Ferrari. Mercedes drivers are on contract and both are driving well. McLaren... perhaps the Alonso thing has been going on longer than we know, it appears Honda wanted him as they signed the contract with Alonso. Williams are never going to pay any driver the sort of money Vettel would want, so his option were limited. Perhaps Ferrari have the capacity to pay him more than Red Bull??
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post

It must hurt Vettel's pride that the new kid on the block has been able to get better performance out of the new car that he has struggled with all year. All the official talk of the reasons for leaving has been needing new challenges etc etc, but he is never going to win another title in a team where he can't beat his team mate. I think sooner he leave, the less damage Daniel will do to his reputation and dollar earning capacity.
    that's a good point. drivers, mere mortals that they are, love the money.
    if I was in Alonso's situation (but for some unfathomable reason I'm not), I'd never leave Ferrari.
    all those pasta and red wine long lunches with the mechanics for a start...
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Alonso has been driving the Ferrari beyond its capabilities, Kimi has not been able to do that, as for the long lunches Barnard put a stop to that many years ago.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

[QUOTE=2CV David; as for the long lunches Barnard put a stop to that many years ago.[/QUOTE]

rats, another daydream bites the dust...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    if I was in Alonso's situation (but for some unfathomable reason I'm not), I'd never leave Ferrari.
    seriously, just look at the car you are driving!
    no wonder you didnt perform at the track test.
    lozenge likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post

It must hurt Vettel's pride that the new kid on the block has been able to get better performance out of the new car that he has struggled with all year.?
    yes, ricciardo's performance has been outstanding when you consider the calibre of vettel. it is not just that ricciardo has done better, but so consistently!

Thread Information