Lotus F1 team agrees deal for Mercedes engines from 2015
  • Register
  • Help

Default Lotus F1 team agrees deal for Mercedes engines from 2015

Looks like Lotus is ditching Renault engines in favour of the Mercedes units

Advertisement

Lotus F1 team agrees deal for Mercedes engines from 2015 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Maybe they should be ditching their chassis designer instead. Red bull seem to be able to get their Renault engines mostly working.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Maybe they should be ditching their chassis designer instead. Red bull seem to be able to get their Renault engines mostly working.....
    I don't think changing their designers alone would put them on the podium.

Re Red Bull engines working - Renault have admitted that Seb V is going to have to take his sixth engine this year before the end of the season, earning 10 grid place penalty, so obviously the reliability is an issue. Seb is not the only Renault engined driver in this situation.

Renault engines are well down on power compared with Merc engines

Lotus do not have any recognized top shelf F1 drivers. When they did in 2012/13 they outperformed all expectations

Lotus struggled financially through 2012-13 so it is likely that their financial position compromised the the design of the current car.
    Every day is a good day

I've said it before and I'll say it again: F1 is just V8 Supercars on steroids. F1 was always about development and innovation, neither of which currently seem to be allowed, particularly with total restriction on engine improvements during the season. This seems to me to be totally unfair to all engine manufacturers. What it has produced is a charade with Mercedes having the upper hand for a whole season with no chance of anyone coming close. Ferrari and Renault were out-engineered to start with but it is not that they don't have the technology or will to change the situation, the artificial playing field ensures they can't, so we can look forward to a continuation of Mercedes 1-2's for the remainder of the season, and probably a few to come. Apart from Daniel Ricciardo's overtaking manoeuvres there has been really bugger all else to get excited about in F1 for 2014.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Whilst Ferrari and Renault seem to support some easing of the engine development freeze during the year, both are concerned about cost spirals if all restrictions were lifted.

Even if there was a removal of the engine development freeze, it does not guarantee that Ferrari or Renault would bridge the gap. Seeing as Merc built a better mouse trap in the first place, perhaps they would improve it at a faster rate than the opposition. Ongoing development of engines during the year would also make it a challenge for the engine manufacturers to provide equal engines for all the customers.

F1 is still very much about innovation and development, just check out what technology goes in the cars.

One of the biggest dangers F1 has are the costs with top team budget in excess of $450 (Australia) and the also rans with budget around $90. Here's an interesting article on the F1 teams financial struggles by someone who should know, I know the article was publidhed January last year, but dont believe too many of the circumstances have changed:- BBC Sport - Formula 1 teams showing signs of money problems

More recent speculation puts at least two of the current teams as uncertain starters for next year, that is if they make it to the end of this year.
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information