Lewis V Nico
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fordman

Thread: Lewis V Nico

Default Lewis V Nico

Ok guys, let's have some opinions on the incident between the Mercedes team-mates at Spa.
    There seems to be a few schools of thought on it, with especially the British press casting Nico as the villain. As far as I can see there are 3 possibilities;

Advertisement

1(most likely) Nico wanted to play hardball but played a little too hard, making accidental contact.
    2(unlikely) Nico deliberately hit Lewis and broke his front wing on the assumption that Lewis would also suffer damage that would be worse than his own.
    3(for the conspiracy theorists) Nico was happy to make contact no matter what happened, knowing that Mercedes would be forced into using team orders in future and that as he is the current points leader they would generally work in his favour.

What does everyone think? Or do you think it was Lewis's fault? Let's have some opinions.

Banned

Technically an accident but when one of your own team bosses (lauda) is already rather scathingly blaming you, on TV, before the race had even finished, them i think you've really screwed up.

I am really surprised at nico - he comes across as more sensible than that. All reports are that he didn't even apologise

definitely not sent via the aussiefrogs phone app

In car view of the incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSwsI0GC90

Looks to me like racing incident, two guys really hard at it. Rosberg looks like backing off a tad too lat if anything:-

Hamilton is seems to be very quick to moan, but just as a reminder this is his clever stunt in the pitlane in Canada in 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRndkmPHRk0

It's one thing to have an accident when you are both going for it, but in the pitlane - with pit lane speed limit, what was he doing?

He needs to shut up and drive, let the driving do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Technically an accident but when one of your own team bosses (lauda) is already rather scathingly blaming you, on TV, before the race had even finished, them i think you've really screwed up.

Not at all surprised by Lauda comments, he has a long history of shooting from the hip. Here's a recent apology from Lauda when the brain caught up with the mouth:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-2705855/LAUDA-ISSUES-FERRARI-APOLOGY.html

Not related to the above, but out of context with the above it's funny

Lauda starts foot & mouth vaccines production. - South American Business Information | HighBeam Research
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 26th August 2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Administrator

I think he was trying to make life difficult for Lewis and just misjudged where the front wing end plate was.

I would've thought a penalty to Rosberg for causing an avoidable collision would've been appropriate considering the effect it had on the championship.

Ego 1: I'll have a go here, he'll give me room when I force my way through.

Ego 2: If I just stay wide he will have to back off.

Ego 1: Sh*t, he's not giving me any room, I'll have to back out of this.

Ego 2: Ha, that'll show the little b****.

Ego 1: Whoops, missed it by that much.

Ego 2: Damn, he hit me.

Racing incident.
    dvr likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Banned

i can understand why the Mercedes team owners dont view it so benignly.

This is the biggest storm in a teacup I've seen in a while.

All this talk of "a collision". I think a lot of people are looking at the result (burst tyre) and forgetting about the actual incident.

It certainly looked like a racing incident to me - a mistake on Rosberg's part. I don't think Rosberg had any intention of clipping Lewis' car and destroying his own front wing.

Although the way Lewis has carried on since he's been an F1 driver makes it very difficult for me to have any sympathy for him.

Of course the team bosses are upset - they missed out on an almost certain 1-2 finish.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

That's racing and what we can expect to see from time to time.

Here are two equally competent and aggressive drivers who use thrust and bluff successfully. But not on each other this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd205 View Post
    1(most likely) Nico wanted to play hardball but played a little too hard, making accidental contact.
    I reckon that's indeed the most likely option.
    it is interesting that so much rides on such a small thing. and that tensions are so high in the Mercedes camp,
    aided and abetted by Lauda, who all along has been rooting for Hamilton, and who surely is only employed
    to focus media attention on the team.
    the immaturity of both drivers never ceases to surprise me, Lewis is famously whingy (so pointless given
    his awesome talent) and petulant, but Nico too has no clue about how to manage the situation.

I reckon that the whole Mercedes 2014 effort could implode if the tensions between Nico and Lewis continue to rise unabated, handing a mature hard-driving Daniel Ricciardo the championship. That'd be nice!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

It would take one all mighty implosion given that Nico is 64 points ahead of Daniel and there are seven rounds left, means that Daniel would have to score 9.14 points more than Nico on average every remaining round. Lewis on the other hand is only 35 points ahead of Daniel. Some are of the view that Lewis is not handling the pressure as well, sure he has had bad luck but some of it has been his own making (pressure in qualifying?). With bit of luck and some improvement in the Red Bull, I can see Daniel perhaps overtaking Lewis in the title chase

Edit:-

Forgot about the double points for the last round, which is likely to have a huge impact.
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 30th August 2014 at 12:18 AM.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Thread Information