1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Flash Car 76

Thread: 1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website

Fellow Frogger!

Default 1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website

I put this out on email to many this morning. I was just interested on what others might think.
    FLASH
    One question ................

In under 7 days we are due to renew the hosting etc for our website www.1977londontosydney.com. Why should we renew it?

We:

- have had 3 hits on the website in the last two (2) years: and

- deleted 47,825 spam messages to the webpage in the last 3 years (including 23 this morning).

Peter J (FLASH) Flanagan

Advertisement

Tried to access the site from the address above but it didn't want to load.

Paul

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for trying but I had no trouble when I tried (after your message). It is www.1977londontosydney.com

FLASH

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    I put this out on email to many this morning. I was just interested on what others might think.
    FLASH
    One question ................

In under 7 days we are due to renew the hosting etc for our website www.1977londontosydney.com. Why should we renew it?

We:

- have had 3 hits on the website in the last two (2) years: and

- deleted 47,825 spam messages to the webpage in the last 3 years (including 23 this morning).

Peter J (FLASH) Flanagan
    Peter that is a real shame, I know your pain with regard to weeding at least potential spam. gibgib has a few systems in place to make it difficult for those that attempt to break through the net on aussiefrogs, we have pretty well eliminated bots but I still delete possibly 25% of new registrations every day - a routine I have become used to.

Improving genuine hits to your site will be a task, we may be able to help by making a thread sticky in 'Froggy Chat', let me know if we can help in anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 504-504-504 View Post
    Tried to access the site from the address above but it didn't want to load.

Paul
    Paul try http://www.1977londontosydney.com/

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Default 1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website

I would have thought 3 hits says it all....

Fellow Frogger!

Improving genuine hits to your site will be a task, we may be able to help by making a thread sticky in 'Froggy Chat', let me know if we can help in anyway

Thanks Greenblood, we are currently looking at removing the "contact" fields and just making it email contact only to try and get around the spam problem. The low hit rate is a concern though.
    FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76
    Thanks Greenblood, we are currently looking at removing the "contact" fields and just making it email contact only to try and get around the spam problem. The low hit rate is a concern though.
    FLASH
    Peter,
    Good call on the 'contact fields', genuine visitors will be happy to email, if something of interest is sent through you can add to your site.

Please feel free to start a thread both here in 'Motorsport' and 'Froggy Chat' and I'll make them stickies. You have collected some nice history that is very relevant to our forum it would be tragic to lose it.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

VIP Sponsor

Flash, you would get a lot of interest if you sent emails to Rally E-groups especially HRA.
    Also, Brindabella, and Classic rally cars forums, Rallysport Magazine.
    There is a guy, Paul someone, in Port Macquarie who has a rally history website.
    I can help out from Monday with addresses for these sites but busy at present.
    Graham

FLASH

Thanks for trying but I had no trouble when I tried (after your message). It is www.1977londontosydney.com

FLASH
    Thanks Flash, viewed and bookmarked for further viewing
    Paul

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks to everyone

With all the responses we renewed. We have turned off the mechanism for people to put public comments onto the website and the only way to contact the site is via the email address. It appears to be working as there was no spam this morning, the time first that this has ever happened.

The cost wasn't the problem as you can see from my original post. In fact it was about
    the same cost as 3 or 4 cases of beer for Carolyn. So now I have to get to work and start uploading the 385 photos that Max Stahl has sent me.

I trust that your Christmas was as enjoyable as ours. We spent Christmas Eve at the neighbours and then travelled up to Brisbane for lunch on Sunday with the daughter and her family. Very relaxing having everyone else do all the work.

All we need now is a day or two without the 20 to 40 knot winds and some temperatures below the 36 to 41 we have been having.

Give all your families and friends a big hug, have a good New Year and remember it is the year for the big win in Lotto.

With all the responses we renewed. We have turned off the mechanism for people to put public comments onto the website and the only way to contact the site is via the email address. It appears to be working as there was no spam this morning, the time first that this has ever happened.

The cost wasn't the problem as you can see from my original post. In fact it was about
    the same cost as 3 or 4 cases of beer for Carolyn. So now I have to get to work and start uploading the 385 photos that Max Stahl has sent me.

I trust that your Christmas was as enjoyable as ours. We spent Christmas Eve at the neighbours and then travelled up to Brisbane for lunch on Sunday with the daughter and her family. Very relaxing having everyone else do all the work.

All we need now is a day or two without the 20 to 40 knot winds and some temperatures below the 36 to 41 we have been having.

Give all your families and friends a big hug, have a good New Year and remember it is the year for the big win in Lotto.
    Good news Peter
    I've made this thread a 'sticky', look forward to your updates and viewing the additional 385 photos...

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks GreenBlood I'll have to get my finger out and get cracking.

Fellow Frogger!

Car 40 the Peugeot 594 LTI has been found. Richard Davies emailed me this morning to say that he has owned (and rallied) the Wadman, Shand, Arthur 504 for a number of years. An edited version of his email is in NEWS on the website and the picture is under car 40 in PHOTO GALLERY. It looks a little sad.
    FLASH

Tadpole

Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.1977londontosydney.com

Last edited by Kim Luck; 23rd January 2014 at 11:07 PM.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Thank you.
    1970 D Super. (Little Miss Petite).

To quote Maxwell Smart........"And Loving It!"

P.S: I ran a control 40 miles north of Benambra on the road to Corryong with the help of RCCD members in the 1977 rally. Bloody long way to go to do it, but that day/night is etched indelibly in my (and a lot of other peoples) memory!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

VIP Sponsor

This isn't the site you were looking for, run by forum member Flash Car 76

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothFlow View Post
    Thank you.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to all you blokes for the "heads up" I hadn't renewed the Domain name. I know I'm slack as I usually pay it on 28 Dec but was a little bit side-tracked and (not) thinking of other things this time with a heart attack on Christmas Eve. Have rectified and payed so it should be up and running in a day or two. I don't know how long it will take for the domain people to let the web hoster know that we are back in business but would not expect it to be too long.

Did I tell you how to pee off a Canadian girl? Well to Canadians Christmas Eve and Christmas is one of the times of the year that they look forward to and, as I am married the lovely Carolyn who is a Canadian, I think that I really p**sed her off this year as I slept from 3.30pm Christmas Eve until 7.30am Boxing Day and missed it all. No Christmas Eve with the neighbours, I missed the phone calls from the kids Christmas Day and to top it all off I did not know that the wonderful daughter-in-law Jess (Luc's wife) had produced a 9+lb grandson just before 9.00pm Christmas Eve until some time after I woke up Boxing Day.

Thanks again to everyone and it should be up and running soon.
    FLASH

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Ah, memories... Torrens Parade Ground, Adelaide, when the cars went through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website-london-sydney-1977-18.jpg   1977 London to Sydney Car Rally website-london-sydney-1977-cx-1.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

The website is back up and running, Unfortunatel the contact email is still having a hissy-fit.

Fellow Frogger!

I have been having all sorts of dramas over the last 8 to 10 months with the website but IT IS ALL FINALLY resolved. The mob hosting the website had an old (and wrong) password in their server but now that that has been resolved we can now access the website www.1977londontosydney.com and send and receive emails to contact@1977londontosydney.com as well (something I haven't been able to do for over a year or more).

I have a few more things to upload so now I can do them.

My apologies to all who have tried and coouldn't get in but you can now (fingers crossed).

FLASH
    JohnW, denxm, Roland and 2 others like this.

1000+ Posts

I have never noticed this site before.I recall the cars going into Melb.along Keilor-Melton Rd.Sydenham Rd where I lived.

I saw some of the 504's...remember the Renault 30....and the other 'stuff'

Found out in years to come how 'honest' Mercedes were & why ...thanks to an Aussue driver who complained that you would not be able to do London/Sydney with 2 drivers.Peugeot Sport CANCELLED the injected V.6. Coupes which were ready to go.

That what happens when you get a Volvo driver on board.Oh well ,hopefully life is a learning process.

Thread Information