Vale barryg - Barry Gauke - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12

I have to add a footnote to this thread.

Recently, my GPS has been misbehaving. It suddenly starts trying to send you somewhere else altogether. I don't actually know why, and hadn't any clear idea about where it was trying to send me, other than it incessantly wanted me to turn around.

However - today I had another AF member with me (actually, I was in their car) and we were relying on the GPS. Just as I was explaining how it lost the plot regularly, the same behaviour commenced. In a moment of inspiration, I zoomed out to show the new destination chosen for me.

No kidding, it was Barry's house - somehow extracted from the list of Favourites. The location matched with other episodes of attempted misdirection, too.

Reckon Barry would have had a chuckle at this happening; plenty for he and Ken to spar over...

Advertisement

Regards, Adam.

Default Remembering Barry.

One day Barry advertised his engine hoist at a not to be repeated price....free.

Being the type of shameless collector of free or damn cheap stuff, i got in first and within a few minutes had bags'd the crane.

A few days later, I went over there, met the man, his wife and kids and over a cupper or two talked cars/music/kids stuff and the usual cuppa chat.

When were alone loading it up, he said, with an amount of awkwardness, that he'd like it to be an aussiefrogs engine crane, but then realised what he was asking and sort of stopped a little short.

I dismissed his concerns straight away and said I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind lending a big tool like this (or people dont mind asking) so dont give it another thought. The conversation quickly moved on.

Stupid me, I didn't realise what he was asking. I didn't even know he was sick and thought he was just de junking. He was of course, but not for the reasons i'd thought of.

I still remember that day with a slight feeling of regret the way I quickly moved the conversation onwards, as i feel now he had more stuff to tell me, but the moment left us.

Moving to to the present, I needed to take the motor I'm working on off the motor stand to take the flywheel off, so I hung it off the crane, and pottered around with the new mobility.

That night I'd had a few to drink and couldn't be bothered re attatching it to the engine stand, and told Barry to keep an eye on the donk and keep the ram from dropping overnight.

2 weeks later, and every morning I open my shed with a jubilant cry "Barry, you bloody ripper" as i see my donk exactly where I left it, suspended above the ground with not the slightest leak from the ram.

I think this is what Barry wanted and tried to tell me that day, something to remember him by.
    I always will.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    One day Barry advertised his engine hoist at a not to be repeated price....free.

Being the type of shameless collector of free or damn cheap stuff, i got in first and within a few minutes had bags'd the crane.

A few days later, I went over there, met the man, his wife and kids and over a cupper or two talked cars/music/kids stuff and the usual cuppa chat.

When were alone loading it up, he said, with an amount of awkwardness, that he'd like it to be an aussiefrogs engine crane, but then realised what he was asking and sort of stopped a little short.

I dismissed his concerns straight away and said I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind lending a big tool like this (or people dont mind asking) so dont give it another thought. The conversation quickly moved on.

Stupid me, I didn't realise what he was asking. I didn't even know he was sick and thought he was just de junking. He was of course, but not for the reasons i'd thought of.

I still remember that day with a slight feeling of regret the way I quickly moved the conversation onwards, as i feel now he had more stuff to tell me, but the moment left us.

Moving to to the present, I needed to take the motor I'm working on off the motor stand to take the flywheel off, so I hung it off the crane, and pottered around with the new mobility.

That night I'd had a few to drink and couldn't be bothered re attatching it to the engine stand, and told Barry to keep an eye on the donk and keep the ram from dropping overnight.

2 weeks later, and every morning I open my shed with a jubilant cry "Barry, you bloody ripper" as i see my donk exactly where I left it, suspended above the ground with not the slightest leak from the ram.

I think this is what Barry wanted and tried to tell me that day, something to remember him by.
    I always will.
    Jo
    That was really nicely expressed, Jo.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information