What's the best material to reattach my XM's parking light lens?

ajm212

Fellow Frogger
The lens of my XM’s parking light has detached from the reflector unit (luckily in the driveway).

What’s the best glue/sealant/… to use to put it back on? And should I attempt to remove the original material that held it in place: it’s now stiff and dry.

XM Parking light.jpg

A neutral curing clear silicone might do it. Loctite sells a small tube of 'gel' adhesive that will go a long way and last years in the tube. I have used this product for this sort of job with some success. It is fairly slow to dry/set, will fill in small gaps and doesn't cause the clouding, spiderwebbing and/or discolouration you might see with a regular superglue. This vendor may have other adhesives suited for ABS bonding and gives a handy run down on this product.

You would do well to take the lamp out to repair it.

Reactions: UFO
I recall that it's relatively easy to remove the whole fitting from the car. Of course being an XM the term "relatively" is, well, relative...

Get it out and do the job (removing the old sealant) on a workbench, kitchen bench or even the dining table if desperation kicks in.

I'd better take note of this discussion, as I think mine are doing the same thing. For some reason these parkers are rare as hens teeth (perhaps because they fall apart) - other lights for the XM can be sourced, but these little guys seem elusive

I found the parking lights easy to remove – at least the second time around. A long screwdriver pressed in exactly the right spot and right way on the extended tab inside wing and they shoot out! Mine came apart when I was putting it back after replacing the bulb.

Thanks for the suggestion re Loctite GO2. It looks like this might be difficult to source locally but something with the same characteristics should be obtainable.

Repco should have it. Does Sikaflex offer a water clear product? They do have a white version of 227, which would look fine if you pop down to Bunnings. That should also give you an indication of the real rate of inflation!
I've not seen the lamps on offer for some years. Keep even damaged lamps in case it comes down to having to repair or remake the lens, which is what usually fails or becomes cloudy in the sun.

I haven't found GO2 anywhere but Loctite 454 looks like a good option, albeit at ~$40-50 for 20ml from Repco or much less from somewhat dubious ebay sellers. (Who would have thought that fake glue might be a thing.) Still, $40 spent to avoid paying €50+freight for a 3D printed replacement is probably a good investment.