Renault Type 263 Stationary Engine

OutbackAdventurer

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi All,

Know this isn't an automotive thing as such, but thought that some vintage Renault fans on here might be interested.

A short while ago I was very fortunate to have been given a vintage (1920s) Renault stationary engine by my family for my Birthday. I was aware of Renault producing stationary engines during this period but have never seen one in Australia so was very excited to find myself as the owner of one.

The engine is a type 263 from approx. 1927 and is a runner. I've attached a couple of photos of the engine (note cooling tank has been removed) as well as a couple of pages from a period catalog showing the engine. I intend on tidying up the engine/general setup as I find the modern fire extinguisher fuel tank, plastic wheels etc. from the previous owner a bit gaudy. I won't however be repainting the engine as I prefer them to be in their "working clothes". I'm thinking I'll set it up on a cart like that shown on the catalog. I have been fortunate in tracking down a copy of this same catalog in France which is now headed this way and will be a nice bit of history to have with the engine.

While I haven't seen another Renault stationary engine in Australia, I have heard of the potential existence of another of this type. Would be interested to know if anyone else knows of any others, especially something like a Renault "boule chaude" (hot bulb).

Attachments

• Renault 263 1.jpg
    Renault 263 1.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Renault 263 2.jpg
    Renault 263 2.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Renault 263 3.jpg
    Renault 263 3.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Renault 263 4.jpg
    Renault 263 4.jpg
    960.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Renault Moteurs Industriels.jpg
    Renault Moteurs Industriels.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Renault Moteur Cart.jpg
    Renault Moteur Cart.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 73
-Shibuichi
I am very fortunate that they keep a look out for stuff like this for me.

-Shoji
Nice tidy engine you have there. Can't say I'm familiar with that particular brand. Appreciate the offer, but I think I'll hold on to this one! Need to sort out a cooling tank for it so I can run it more than a few seconds but in the couple brief runs I've done it has ran really nicely. Will definitely post a video of it running once I've got some form of cooling setup.

Here is a link to a video of one running in Europe:

Hmmmm, what could you do with an engine like that?🤔

20240407_212109.jpg

-Greenpeace
A bike like that brings new meaning to the term thumper!

Hi Fossoyeur,
Unfortunately the ID plate was missing from the engine so I don't know it's plate number. I will be looking to have a replacement plate made so I'll have to try and use a number which fits the numbering convention.

Thanks for the link. A lot of good information - as always on Les Renault d'avant guerre.

-Greenpeace
A bike like that brings new meaning to the term thumper!
The French had quite a history of building motorcycles with giant engines 100 odd years ago.
These are a couple of examples.
You could recreate history with yours.😀

images (36).jpeg
images (35).jpeg

My copy of the industrial motor brochure/catalog arrived on Friday. Very happy with the condition. I'll probably scan it and have an enlarged copy printed (the original is ~A5 size) to display with the engine if I take it to rallies etc.

Attachments

• Renault Brochure.jpg
    Renault Brochure.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 25