Notre Dame current state of restoration.

Hi.

Here are a couple of photos of when I was there recently.

In the second image you can see some of the large information boards that were located around the perimeter fence. There was quite a lot of detail and images on these boards explaining what was being done and progress etc. I found it very interesting, some others in my party did not share my interest.

There were some large cranes in use, with interesting cable stabilisation much like the mast on a sailing ship. There was lots of activity on the building site during the day.

Cheers.
1684277930903.png
1684278143158.png

Hi.

Maybe of interest to some.

One other thing I learnt while in France recently is that due to the revolution back when some fella called Bonaparte was around, there is clear separation of church and state, and the French Government owns all of the church cathedrals and other public monuments including: Eiffel tower, Louvre, Arc de Triumph etc amonst many others. Therefore the government is responsible for all maintenance of these monuments.

They also receive the ticketing revenue from tourists and while I haven't done the numbers the Euro's flowing into Government coffers must be very significant, judging by the long lines of people queued and paid up to have a look.

Cheers.

Earlier than Bonaparte. It isn't a church and state separation issue.

The revolutionaries were anti-Christian, looted then seized and desecrated the church as the Temple of Reason. In 1793 worship anywhere became illegal. The guillotine was busy. Not much in the way of statues or fittings is pre-revolution.

Other great mediaeval churches were similarly treated, and remain stripped and looted to this day - eg the Sainte Chapelle, St Ouen at Rouen.

Bonaparte restored the cathedral for Christian worship, but retained state possession. The state still owns it, and the other churches.

Hi Seasink.

Sounds like the revolutionaries are my sort of people.

I don't know what tour guides will show punters after interest wanes for cathederals. But we lined up with the masses to see St Ouen at Rouen, and St Chapelle in Paris.

1684306882515.png
1684306982522.png

We did a tour of the Opera House in Paris, and it was amonst the most impressive adorned buildings that I have seen in my life. Pictures just don't do it justice.

1684307549038.png

Cheers.