C4 Picasso 2008 tires

willemd

Tadpole
Still very happy with this car, has done 314K now, no worries. Just a question about the tires. When I bought it, noticed that fronts and rears are different brand, all L Cheapo's. Was the Picasso HDI 2008 originally fitted with Michelins? Can anyone recommend the best tire....?
Thanks
Willem

I have tended to use Falken tyres; they are a well established brand and have been around for decades. Very good in my opinion; quiet, good grip in wet and the ones I purchased a couple of months ago were $200 so the value is there. Like you, I am wary of "no brand" tyres and also have a big dislike for mixing brands (the motorcyclist in me I guess).

I am slowly becoming a Michelin fanboy.

When I had the Pug 307 (on which the first shape C4 is based) I had a variety of brand name tyres over the years, never no-name cheapies. The second last were Michelin Primacy which were really nice - quiet, and held the road well; the last ones were Michelin Pilot Sport which were said to have better handling on twisty roads, but I traded the car in soon after so never really got to try them out. They seemed lovely though.
My current car, a Golf, is now wearing Michelin Primacy 4, way nicer than the Bridgestone Ecopia 300s they replaced. (quieter, more confident on the road.)

My partner's Skoda was fitted with Michelin Energy XM2+just last week, the car has an unusual size tyre and the Primacy isn't available in that size. So far, when driving the car two hours home, it felt great. Much more secure on the road than the Kumho Ecowing KH27 which seemed to be losing grip fast - they were worn to 3mm at one end of the car and 3.5 at the other end, so not worn to the limit, but my partner and I had both noticed the traction control light coming on when driving sedately on our local (very twisty) roads lately so they were replaced.

So in short, each time I have replaced another tyre with a Michelin, I have noticed an improvement in driving the car - quieter, better road holding.

The C4 B7 (mechanically similar to a Pug 308) here had Michelin Energy tyres replaced with Dunlop FM800 for an improvement. These are a common and praised tyre on the larger C5 where the grip is excellent and they are quiet. My C5 runs them. They are also a bit cheaper than Michelin.

If the size is available for the Picasso, I'd have a good look at them.

I have also seen the praise for the Dunlop FM800 here, and was considering them. But for our car, the Michelin was substantially cheaper - The XM2+ was $189 each , less $100 promotional offer for four, which is equivalent to paying $170 each. The Dunlops were $209 each, no discounts. Our tyre size was 195/55/15.

My son's car (a 2012 C4 Grand Picasso) came with Bob Jane tyres with heaps of tread. These were fine on dry roads, but his wife and I both independently felt it skating around on wet roundabouts in a most alarming fashion! I paid for him to get Michelin Primacy 4s fitted - haven't heard any complaints since!

However, don't settle for any old Primacy tyres - several years ago I tried Primacy LC on a Citroen Xantia. They were a long life tyre, and I found them disappointing, as the car would skip sideways in bumpy corners.

Yes Primacy LC were a disaster like Certis was and thankfully both are long gone these days.

Cheers, Ken

It would help if you specified the tyre size & your priorities across the spectrum of tyre performance disciplines.