Boot Strut Regas - what a difference!

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Since we took possession of our 91 BX I noticed the hatch was somewhat challenging to lift and once up it could not be relied upon to stay up - I even had a broomstick in the boot just in case.

While in France last May I helped our friend Alain fit some brand new struts to a series 1 BX he'd just added to his collection. What a difference they made. Push the button and the hatch almost lifted itself up. I thought about getting a pair while still in France but they would be too long to fit into my suitcase to carry home. I searched for the struts here in Aus and might have got a pair but at well over $100.

I'd often seen a small ad in the back of NRMA's Open Road about a service provider about 25km from me and I phoned him and was informed it would be only $80 to get the pair recharged if I removed them and got them to him. Mrs UFO just happened to be going past his location last Monday so I tasked her with dropping them off to be picked up a couple of hours later - which she did.

Yesterday I refitted the struts and OMG! What a difference!!! Push the button, a slight lift and the hatch just opens and stays up.

If you have lazy boot or bonnet struts in any brand car have a look at this company https://strutregas.com.au/ they have franchisees in various locations around Australia.

the poogoe here needs the boot struts done (before the kids break something slamming it). I can't find anyone local though.

New they look to be about $55 each. How does that compare with regassing costs?

the poogoe here needs the boot struts done (before the kids break something slamming it). I can't find anyone local though.

New they look to be about $55 each. How does that compare with regassing costs?
Well if you've got no one nearby that can regas the existing struts it might just work out best to buy those you found on ebay.

I have 5x various struts on my camper/caravan including 4 quite long and high pressure ones for the roof lift. They were OEM (Coromal Aust built caravan new 2006) with Stabilus - made in Dingley Vic. Last year I contacted them for regas/renewal, best service I have had for a long time, they supplied new ones, pressurised to the correct pressure, sent to me in Perth within a week, about $50 each, not worth regassing. (Couldn't find a local regasser).
Good local company. I can recommend Stabilus.