Fitting air horns to a D Special

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
All

After driving the D in Sydney weekday traffic the other day and nearly getting clobbered three times, I figured it may be time to stop being polite on the horns and remind people what they nearly did or are about to do. They seem to take notice when audibly prompted by the CX :evil:

Anyway I have at least two sets of second hand air horns sitting in the shed and thought it may be time to fit a set to the D as the "country horns" set. I'm ok with doing the electrical work to install them, but when looking at the engine bay the other day I just could not work out quite the best place for them to go.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice and perhaps even photos of a good installation that I can emulate.

All

After driving the D in Sydney weekday traffic the other day and nearly getting clobbered three times, I figured it may be time to stop being polite on the horns and remind people what they nearly did or are about to do. They seem to take notice when audibly prompted by the CX :evil:

Anyway I have at least two sets of second hand air horns sitting in the shed and thought it may be time to fit a set to the D as the "country horns" set. I'm ok with doing the electrical work to install them, but when looking at the engine bay the other day I just could not work out quite the best place for them to go.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice and perhaps even photos of a good installation that I can emulate.

Craig,
I plan on doing the same thing at some stage...

A few good reference pics here http://www.citromuseum.com/index.php?id=160&L=1

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Air horns.jpg
    Air horns.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,532
Thanks Chris - never thought of looking at Henri's site.

Gives me food for thought.

Other suggestions still welcome though

M. UFO,

Having owned several DS over a period of years IIRC there was no one singular place for the installation..or even a preferred single supplier...different cars had the horns mounted differently but all were positioned similarly to the illustration above... left side or right.

Thanks Chris - never thought of looking at Henri's site.

Gives me food for thought.

Other suggestions still welcome though

Hey Craig ol' mate... you wouldn't have a spare OE horn relay per chance, wants one :cry:
Not fitting mine until I get one :nownow:

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Horn relay.jpg
    Horn relay.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,462
Hi Craig. Air horns are standard equipment on DS 23 Pallas cars,and they are usually mounted in a similar way to the pic shown to you by GreenBlood. Perhaps someone who has a DS 23 Pallas can take a photo and show you where to mount them. It's late at night for me now,and i am sorry if I am not able to post a pic of the mounting place for air horns,by the way what make of air horns have you got. On The DS 23 cars they use FIAMM. Cheers Craig and all the best for Christmas. Joe

There you go, Craig. Off my 74 Pallas, minus compressor.

Attachments

• dec12 027.jpg
    dec12 027.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 659
I mounted mine inside the front guard. There were some existing holes to mount the trumpets and blower so it was easier than fiddling around down low. I once mounted a set on a car in the "origianl" spot only to end up with them getting water in them after a drive in the rain.

I mounted mine inside the front guard. There were some existing holes to mount the trumpets and blower so it was easier than fiddling around down low. I once mounted a set on a car in the "origianl" spot only to end up with them getting water in them after a drive in the rain.
You made a very good point,because it seems that the factory mounted position is prone to collecting water ,mud, and any other crap. On my Pallas,I discovered that the two trumpets were completely clogged with sand,which had hardened ,causing the trumpets to stop working. I had to dismantle everything,dislodge all the sand,and hey presto, the trumpets were blowing properly. The compressor can accept LHM oil,as suggested by JackAfrica ,or maybe sewing machine oil. Cheers. Joe.:cheers: that blue light on the roof is an excellent idea.

Obviously if the trumpets get clogged up with stuff they are not being used regularly enough!

Perhaps I should try to emulate our friend Alain's setup?

FWIW, you know there is a 1:43 model of a DS Ambulance? Well this is the 1:1 version, fully restored by Alain.

Note the extra special bits and pieces.

I think UFO with a big GENDARMERIE sticker down the side could be fun. I'm sure I could pick up a blue light in Jaycar etc.:tongue:

Attachments

• af ds horn1.jpg
    af ds horn1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 641
  • af ds horn2.jpg
    af ds horn2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 898
  • af ds horn3.jpg
    af ds horn3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 650
  • af ds horn4.jpg
    af ds horn4.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 640
  • af ds horn5.jpg
    af ds horn5.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 832
  • af ds horn6.jpg
    af ds horn6.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 848
Last edited:
Perhaps I should try to emulate our friend Alain's setup?

FWIW, you know there is a 1:43 model of a DS Ambulance? Well this is the 1:1 version, fully restored by Alain.

Note the extra special bits and pieces.

I think UFO with a big GENDARMIE sticker down the side could be fun. I'm sure I could pick up a blue light in Jaycar etc.:tongue:
Probably right Craig.,the car was a country car,not a city car,and also the P.O. was a church minister from Gisborne in Victoria,who most likely was averse to using the air horns. The pics of Alains car are fantastic,he placed the air horns in a protected space,so no water or mud can foul up the trumpets. By the way,the last pic of the DS ambulance with the blue light on the roof,has an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super next to it on the left side ,either made in 1969 or 1970. I can tell by the side profile and the shape of the front S/S bumper bar,and also because I have of of those in my garage. Cheers. Joe

In Eloise they are on the drivers side with a relay running from the secondary throw switch wire from the town horns.
The air horns are FIAMM and are pointed downwards I guess to avoid the water issue and kinda touch the spare wheel tyre.

hope this helps.

Please tell: What is the bell like structure beside the distributor ?
hardly a good place for a noise making device trapped in there with the fan to cover its noise .

What a lovely CLEAN engine compartment..better than when it was new methinks.

This is a genuine DS Ambulance and the bell is one that is supposed to ring away at high speed when the button inside is pressed. The sirens sound continuously with that high low sound. In the video below both the bell and sirens are a bit week and it is likely that it is because the car is idling and as I understand from Alain this was the first time the car had run for about 12 months.

Alain tells me that when he has driven it on the highways even with no lights and siren going, other vehicles move out of the way. Neat trick.

The interior of the ambulance is correctly fitted with stretcher and rear seat for the attending ambulance officer.

Yes he has a couple of Alfas in his collection, some other interesting cars, including Citroens and an amazing collection of motorbikes. He and partner Valerie have just opened a private "by appointment only" museum in the village of Toucy in the Burgundy Region.

So, to the video, and forgive my rambling away in the background...

Last edited: