DS manual gearbox BVM5

michaelr

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I thought I would ask if anyone has experience with the BVM5 transmission. This is not an urgent problem but will need fixing eventually.

My '73 DS23 5 speed is running well but the transmission is noisy. I believe it is the diff but it is quite intrusive in 4th and 5th. Additionally the synchro on second is very weak, down changes from 3rd being almost impossible without double clutching.

When I got the car it had been off the road for over ten years and the box contained a nasty emulsified mixture. I have change the oil twice and added Nulon G70 for some improvement.

Any suggestions? Is there someone who can rebuild my box or maybe a replacement 5 speed available somewhere?

My :2cents: worth.

The synchro is probably shot if the Nulon G70 and Castrol VMX didn't work.
Until the transmission is inspected internally a diagnosis and report card on the condition of the crownwheel/pinion set and/or support bearings can only be speculative.
Replacement reproduction synchros don't enjoy a great reputation.
Very few people these days have the time, knowledge and expertise required, much less the parts.

A replacement of the unit with one of known condition is likely the safest, stress free solution.

My :2cents: worth.

The synchro is probably shot ...........

A replacement of the unit with one of known condition is likely the safest, stress free solution.

Thanks Richo. I would say your comments are worth far more that 1 cent ! :) As I said, there is no urgency as the car is very drivable and with Francoise Hardy wound up on the stereo (actually it was Django Reinhardt today) the noise is hardly noticeable.

I am waiting on a price from Harry Martens in Holland on a reco gearbox.

Thanks Richo. I would say your comments are worth far more that 1 cent ! :) As I said, there is no urgency as the car is very drivable and with Francoise Hardy wound up on the stereo (actually it was Django Reinhardt today) the noise is hardly noticeable.

I am waiting on a price from Harry Martens in Holland on a reco gearbox.

Make sure you are sitting down when you open that email!

Make sure you are sitting down when you open that email!
Not to mention the shipment charges. You will need to listen to more than Django Rheinhardt to overcome the shock of the price quote. OUCH . cheers:eek:

Not to mention the shipment charges. You will need to listen to more than Django Rheinhardt to overcome the shock of the price quote. OUCH . cheers:eek:

I thought 350 euro for shipping was not as shocking as it might have been, but I am not looking forward to the quote for the box.

Harry could be expensive, but it is worth every cent!! His 5 sp BVH is something I'd like to have

Cheers
Corne

I drove a 5 speed BVH in France last year. Truly a clever piece of kit, especially as the owner, Simon Holland, insisted on retaining the original BVH gear change lever, not have the Harry Maartens designed switch on the end of the new lever. When you wish to change to 5th you press a floor button next to the brake, a light comes on on the dash and you flick the lever to 3rd position to get 5th. To change down again you just move the lever to fourth.

However to achieve a 5sp BVH you must already have a BVH or be willing to transplant the gear AND you must supply your own or an exhange 5sp box - as I understand it. (CORRECTION - as stated below Harry does not require an exchange gearbox from us in Australia - what a good bloke!)

Not that you can see all the mechanism, but it's a beautiful dash.

ds tech wk 2010 44 by UFO1966, on Flickr

Here is another HM box installed in another DS that was there.

ds tech wk 2010 07 by UFO1966, on Flickr

Last edited:
i noticed his gearboxes are very quiet while operating, although I heared it on his youtube video.
Beautiful dash on that car UFO. A cabriolet?

Cheers
Corne

gearboxes

Hi guys,

first of all, thanks for all kind words.

Please try to understand that the overhaul of DS gearboxes takes quite some time and most parts are not available of the shelf.
Many, many parts has to come from other gearboxes wich has to be stripped down and cleaned aswell.

I have very good synchronizerrings and give 1 year warranty on the gearbox. Offcourse only on gearbox not for your labour and shippingcosts.

I know shippingcosts to Australia , New Zealand and USA are very expencive and that is reason I don't need the old gearbox back.

For the rumours of the 5 BVH, same as above. No need for the old core.

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens
www.ds-vitesse.com

i noticed his gearboxes are very quiet while operating, although I heared it on his youtube video.
Beautiful dash on that car UFO. A cabriolet?

Cheers
Corne

Not a cabriolet, but a DS23 hydrid sort of vehicle. If I recall correctly....

The car in the pic was originally a DS21H, and it actually has the original 23 engine from the famous DS four door cabriolet with the SM drivetrain. So it is a late 60s dash.

To make matters more confusing it is a left hand drive DS with UK registration. Click on the links below the photos above for more pics - that you may have seen before.