Does this sound like cam chain rattle? (2.0 HDi 16V)

19jacobob93

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hey guys. I have 2008 308 with the DW10BTED4 engine and 6sp manual.

It has 177k on it. Had full service history until 100k then it goes dark, so who knows what happened in that time! I've replaced all fluids, filters, belts, tensioners, pulleys and the water pump and thermostat since buying.

I have driven it around for a couple months now and covered around 5k KM. It runs mint and I'm originally from the UK, so I'm familiar with these engines as they're in loads of stuff.

My one concern is this noise at start up. Sounds like the cam chain rattles for a second on cold start, or when warm after being sat for a while. It's otherwise relatively quiet with no strange noises or behaviours. Just looking for other experiences with this very short noise on start up.

File is too large so here's a YT link:

Cheers!

Cant hear anything untoward there.

FYI, the DW10BTED4 has a cam belt, not a chain. If there is no indication it has been done already, you might want to change it - easy enough job. There are several threads here and videos on youtube showing how.

Cant hear anything untoward there.

FYI, the DW10BTED4 has a cam belt, not a chain. If there is no indication it has been done already, you might want to change it - easy enough job. There are several threads here and videos on youtube showing how.
Hey!

Yes I actually replaced the belt last week including water pump, harmonic balancer, and all pulleys and tensioners etc. attached to the engine. This is a 16V so it also has two camshafts connected by a chain and tensioner.

For the 1-2 seconds following start up after being sat, you can hear a rattle sound. This is coming from that chain area and I'm just wondering whether it's a cause for concern.

I read many owners in Europe don't touch this chain in 500k KM. Mine only has 177k but also a sketchy history after 100k, so I'm not sure if this has caused early wear.

Cheers

Perhaps, time for the stethoscope? Lazy tensioner or broken/worn guide pad?

1713948561582.png

Have you checked the alternator pulley one-way clutch is not binding. It will make a nasty vibration at idle.

Perhaps, time for the stethoscope? Lazy tensioner or broken/worn guide pad?

View attachment 240527

Have you checked the alternator pulley one-way clutch is not binding. It will make a nasty vibration at idle.
That's the part in question! I would guess exactly that, that the guides are worn or the tensioner is being lazy.

I'm going to give the oil a good flush (Liqui Moly engine detox) and replace the oil with 5w40 synthetic (currently 15w40 mineral for a short cleaning cycle) and see if this makes a difference. If it does, then it will confirm that the noise is internal. If there's no change then it could be external such as the alternator pulley as you mentioned.

Given that it's only brief and after sitting leads me to believe it's something related to oil pressure, so I'm starting with a good flush to clean the most likely very dirty oil passages, and a synthetic oil with a lower cold start viscosity.

The engine is quiet and smooth after that initial ome second start up rattle, with no other sounds or vibrations, or any running issues at all.

This engine is usually happy on 5W30, maybe 5W40 full synthetic.