Which DCT box for 1.2 Captur?

tazfrog

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
WEll...I have still not received a definitive answer....I have asked Renault Aust., the fobbed m,e off to the local dealer who is as useless as tits on a bull!
I asked Renault UK, no answer yet, I posted the question on other forums with no luck.
The Captur 1.2 Ltr Tce Turbo was built August 2017 and because the question is, is it fitted with the Getrag DCT6250 or the DCT6450.
The 250 being a dry clutch setup and the 450 a wet clutch setup.
Getarg has since been taken over and changed names and stopped development on the DCT6250 box....what I really need to know is when the DCT6450 box took over?
Any bright sparks out there with t he right answer?

If you could take a photo of your transmission it would help as the difference between the two externally appears to be chalk and cheese.the dct250 has no sump pan on forward vertical face which the dct450 has,the gt 250 has a vertically mounted ribbed aluminium electronic control unit on the forward vertical face and two control motors bellhousing area to operate clutch forks.

WEll...I have still not received a definitive answer....I have asked Renault Aust., the fobbed m,e off to the local dealer who is as useless as tits on a bull!
I asked Renault UK, no answer yet, I posted the question on other forums with no luck.
The Captur 1.2 Ltr Tce Turbo was built August 2017 and because the question is, is it fitted with the Getrag DCT6250 or the DCT6450.
The 250 being a dry clutch setup and the 450 a wet clutch setup.
Getarg has since been taken over and changed names and stopped development on the DCT6250 box....what I really need to know is when the DCT6450 box took over?
I'd have suggested the UK forums, which are super helpful with Scenic issues (rare of course... :) ) I don't know how Renault Australia expects return business. I'd have thought the VIN number would definitely define which gearbox was fitted. VIN numbers do that sort of thing...
I wonder whether Renault in France have a help link. Or Renault in Spain where I think it was built?
Best of luck with it.

I'd have suggested the UK forums, which are super helpful with Scenic issues (rare of course... :) ) I don't know how Renault Australia expects return business. I'd have thought the VIN number would definitely define which gearbox was fitted. VIN numbers do that sort of thing...
I wonder whether Renault in France have a help link. Or Renault in Spain where I think it was built?
Best of luck with it.
Thanks John....yes, I have contacted both Renault UK and France....so far no replies and yes, I have placed it on 3 Renault forums, we'll see what happens.....in the meantime check out my photos on the link provided in another reply.
Judging by what has been said it seems certain the DCT^250 is the box fitted to our car....it has just covered 43,000klm over the six years we have owned it from new.

Yes John you would even think Renault Australia spare parts dept,would be able to ascertain transmission type via vin no.
All Renault Aust. did was duck shove me over to our local Renault dealer Buckby Motors in Launceston 160 klm away

Thanks John....yes, I have contacted both Renault UK and France....so far no replies and yes, I have placed it on 3 Renault forums, we'll see what happens.....in the meantime check out my photos on the link provided in another reply.
Judging by what has been said it seems certain the DCT^250 is the box fitted to our car....it has just covered 43,000klm over the six years we have owned it from new.
Brand new then. My Scenic is on 182,000 and drives like new. Manual though.

Yes it looks exactly same as daughters dct6250 in her old(2014) clio rs200 which I had out and apart 12 months ago.jim
Dacia...it has one drain plug which can be clearly seen and the fill/level plug, a white plastic winged affair is up the side near the left hand drive shaft outlet....this car was built in August 2017.

Dacia...it has one drain plug which can be clearly seen and the fill/level plug, a white plastic winged affair is up the side near the left hand drive shaft outlet....this car was built in August 2017.
If it is the same...what oil would you recommend?

Brand new then. My Scenic is on 182,000 and drives like new. Manual though.
Hahhaa...yes, only a baby, will take a while to cover that sort of distance, only my wife drives it about 5/7000klm a year since she has now retired.

I see you are using Penrite HPR5 which is what I run in my modern Renaults that were made this century.

Here is a link to Penrite's website where you can see what the recommended Penrite lubricants are for your car.

I see you are using Penrite HPR5 which is what I run in my modern Renaults that were made this century.

Here is a link to Penrite's website with their recommended lubricants for your car.

Hello Col...already done that and have discussed with their tech dept., they only DCT oil for wet clutch systems and said to contact Renault regards dry clutch gearboxes....I'm running around in cicrcles...the same goes for Nulon.

Reactions: COL
Hello Col...already done that and have discussed with their tech dept., they only DCT oil for wet clutch systems and said to contact Renault regards dry clutch gearboxes....I'm running around in cicrcles...the same goes for Nulon.
I know your not going to like doing this but you could ring Buckby's service department and ask them for a price for the oil for your transmission now that thanks to Jim you have identified what transmission you have.

Send Jim a PM and ask him what oil he run in his daughter's Clio RS200.

Hi tassie frog
Hopefully my bright spark can light up your day :)
The premise of your query is incorrect, the 6DCT450 did not replace the 6DCT250, they are designed for different capacity engines.
Dry is cheaper and used on small capacity engines (like a clio) and wet is more reliable for higher torque engines.
For example a Mondeo 2.0l turbo diesel making 180bhp and 400Nm of torque uses the wet clutch 6DCT450

In the same way that ZF gearbox numbers indicate its max torque capacity, the 250 will handle upto 250 N.m of torque and the 450 will handle 450 N.m.
The series III Megane and Scenic with the 1.5l diesel making 81kW/110bhp and 240Nm had the first DC4-001 "Type à double embrayage à disque sec" (Dry disc double clutch type) with a Maximum torque capacity of 240N.m so pretty sure it's the 6DCT250 :)
Yours is likely to be the DC4-016, it'll be written on a plate on the gbox sump.

1713880468285.png

EDC oil was discussed in this thread

Renault spec for the Megane III DC4 is BOT 450
Renault 1 litre bottle part number is 77 11 428 122

Another oil is Motul Multi DCTF
See the following link for list of OEM compatibility which include Renault BOT 450 EDC and PSA 9734.S2
Note the 'Suitable for use in a wide range of vehicles fitted with DCT gearboxes featuring Double-Dry Clutch Transmission and Double-Wet Clutch Transmission design.'

1713883221769.png

Last edited: