Xantia fuel sender replacement

Bruce H

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I am trying to swap in a replacement fuel sender. Can't see how you're supposed to disconnect the two pipes from the ùnit, and don't want to damage plastics by forcing. There appears to be some type of plastic circlip on each pipe end, but how does it disengage? 15 years since I last did this job - any other tricks I don't remember?

Is it the type where you push in the little rectangular bit inwards and that moves a plate with a hole sideways enough to release the pipe end? Usually, the bit to push in is a contrasting colour to the fitting.

Sounds about right - I couldn’t work out if I was supposed to be pushing or trying to extract the rectangular piece; a light push was having no effect.

There are a few possible types it seems. What do you have?

1713869314483.png
1713869533428.png

1713869634821.png
1713869684801.png

Not the best quality pic, sorry.
CF3870F0-9545-474A-9F05-39BF0B39B0BA.jpeg

Looks like there could be another tab to press on the green one.

Last edited:
Bruce,

Do you have a new seal for the level sender/fuel pump you are about to withdraw? If you don't you are very likely to get a fuel leak when you fill up the tank to the first click and drive the car with your usual enthuiasm. Once it starts to leak, the only way around that is to only half fill the tank.

Cheers, Ken

No, Ken, but as this is the white Xantia that I haven’t driven for ? years, as yet can’t start, and then still have to decide how to get hydraulics and the fuel rail fixed I don’t think I’ll worry about how far I can fill the fuel tank :) . If get everything fixed then I’ll pull it out again and put in a new seal. 3 weeks before I have to decide whether to pay rego again.
Cheers, Bruce.

Green one possibly ...

1713873084926.png
1713873140432.png
1713873175278.png

Refitting: Lightly oil the seals - engine oil. Fit the pipe 26 into the union 24. Ensure it locks in. Push clip 25 down to lock it.

From the photo, on the RHS pipe, you need to press in the white strip. They can be quite tight. LHS is less clear - looks a bit different to the RHS - David might be right, although I've never seen a fuel connector on Peugeot or Citroen that you lever out - only electrical plugs.

I've done this job a few times now. The white piece needs to be pushed in - but there is one on the other side too. With a little effort, it can be rotated so that you can see both tabs at the same time. Squeezing both together with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and it should come off easily. The green one should work just the same.

You may need a new seal and securing ring. The rings seem to get both brittle and tight with age and then often break when you try to remove them.

Am I correct in assuming that I am trying to move the securing ring anti-clockwise? My spare fuel tank, and securing ring, are of course buried under a shelf in a corner of the shed behind a Xantia back axle; GS b-pillar with door attached; and a Xantia front cut - not so easily accessed.

Attachments

• 20240424_160032_resized.jpg
    20240424_160032_resized.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 14
Job stalled by the securing ring, which looks like it may well break before coming loose. I'm going to have to pull everything out of that corner of the shed to check I have a spare, and if it's not there go through the rest of the shed looking. I'm fairly sure I had dropped the tank out of the wreck before dismantling the sender, and with the better access I don't recall having broken that securing ring. Where it is 15 years and a house move later though......

Yet another question. Found the spare sealing ring, but before I go any further thought I should check the spare fuel pump actually works. I've wired it up and put it in a part filled bucket of fuel but nothing is coming out when I try to start the car. Is there something else I should do to prime the pump, or can I now assume my spare pump has been sitting unused for too long?

PS Kim, were you the fellow in the other silver Xantia at Devonport who warned me of fuel pump failures?

Can you hear the pump running in the bucket? If the electric motor has seized there's not much you're going to be able to do with it. It is technically possible to replace just the pump itself and keep the plastic casing and fuel gauge etc.

Yes it would have been me warning of fuel pump failures. From my experience they will do 200,000kms but not a lot more. I'd advise anyone running a Xantia with that sort of kms on it to have a fuel pump on hand - or replace it pre-emptively to avoid a breakdown.

I'd highly recommend a new sealing ring and seal - part number of the ring is 1531 20. The plastic of the ring gets brittle with age and may break when you try to install it. I really wish they made the access hole about 20mm bigger in diameter. It's just a little too tight in there to comfortably deal with the whole process.