XM 24v manual, Bundaberg

David S

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Edit: I inadvertently posted this in the Cars For Sale that doesn't allow for replies, so I;ve moved it here. Bruce H mentioned:

Facebook link is here.

Rare version of the XM, even in Europe. The most difficult part to obtain for that in AU is going to be the tailgate glass and it looks like it might have been allowing the rain inside for some time. The separation glass is OK though. Hopefully, the missing wheel (common to 94-95 12 Valve XMs) and headlights are available, but being removed, there is likely something mechanical required and unknown or unstated.
Location is listed as Bundaberg.

1713431272326.png

1713431353754.png

Easier to maintain would be the $400 C5 in NSW that appeared today. An early 5 speed manual 2.0lt petrol will be the simplest C5 of all to look after as there is no AL4 to implode and it has the basic H3 suspension i.e. skinny steel lines and only a sphere at each corner, so it's really non-Hydractive. These have a soft ride and are more lively to drive than the same car with the AL4. I hope someone gives both these a home. C5 manuals are also quite rare in Australia.

Thanks David, I was wondering how I might reply without starting a new thread.

I could supply at least some of the parts needed for that XM.

Roger

The aspect I would not like about it is the handbrake arrangement. The XM has a pedal to apply the handbrake on the left side of the footwell and that's obviously right next to the clutch pedal. If you just pull the release at the bottom corner of the dash you fully release the handbrake and the pedal bounces up. I let it go in an auto by applying pressure on the pedal before pulling the release but you won't be able to do that on a hill start. So, particularly for city use, it just seems to be a very sub-optimal arrangement. I just couldn't be bothered with a manual in city traffic these days. The clutch pedal placement put me right off any Xantia manual, but at last it had a better handbrake arrangement.

Sad to see it in such a state after only 152,000km.

I believe that the 24 valve PRVs had a lot of valve problems. If this car had the upgraded/replacement cam followers etc. then the engine could be OK. Ad states it's a 2005 model :(. If it's actually 1995, then it probably would have the upgraded engine.

Given the location (Bundaberg) Id be concerned about rust..

If only it was down south, further south, the better.
Was the 24V PRV, predecessor to ES9J motor?
John

Yes it was. They were offered as the performance option (all manual I think) from 1990 through 1996. They actually produced slightly more power than the ES9J4. Club XM (UK site) has a lot of information, and some have been successfully restored/recommissioned in the UK.

and those lovely front strut mounts. Arghhh. Worth rescuing though. That thing would GO when sorted. 🚨😂

No I don't think so. Even the 12 valve PRV is pretty bulky - doubt you would get a PRV in the Xantia engine bay.

The ES9J4 is a 60° V, while the PRV is a 90° V.

You'd want a 406 V6 manual as a donor for a Xantia V6 conversion.

Last edited:
Wondering if the 2005 stated is from an import approval plate, and as it’s an import if the stated mileage is actually miles, not kilometres.

Can any one tell from the photos if it's Series 1 or 2? Doesn't look to have an air bag in the steering wheel...

It would be an early car and probably built around 1991. Certainly it has the first dash before the facelift in early 1994 and so the 2005 is likely on the import plate as already suggested. Possibly it came here with an emigrating pom.
The Hydractive would be H1, which is different to H2 that most of the XMs and Xantias sold here have.

That makes valve train issues more likely. It obviously must have been a private import

They may have since been painted colour coded, but wouldn’t an around 1991 XM have grey bumper inserts, rubbing strips, and panel under the windscreen?

You really want to known the RP number stencilled on the body or read the build plate to date it. It will be UK specification so may be a bit different to French spec. This is a collection of early promo vids and includes the 24 Valve in Iceland with all painted trim as far as I can tell, plus some gratuitous circle work in the middle ...

If you believe Wikipedia, the 2 spoke steering wheel was fitted to vehicles after mid 1992.

The parts catalogue lists the two spoke wheel as being fitted from RP 5592, which is 29/2/1992. So, you are probably correct about that and it would be half way through the 1992 model year.