DS21ie on a 1700km drive

palyasm

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
I went on a 1700km drive in my 1970 DS21ie 5BVM over the last few days, Adelaide to Rainbow to Melbourne and the same route back home.

I just thought I'd share my high praise of these amazing old cars - it didn't miss a beat, plenty strong enough for quick overtaking and very relaxed driving on the highway, as in hideous Melbourne traffic. I've been doing very long drives in Ds, particularly my Safari, for many years.

My recent focus on the '86 Series 2 CX Turbo has given me more interest in doing long trips in it, and it is great - but there's no doubt, for me, that the DS is significantly more comfortable (I have a very bad back, which is exacerbated driving the CX, and almost unnoticeable in the D). Somehow, despite various refinements in the CX chassis and suspension design, the D still feels more stable.

At 54 years old, and comparing it to modern cars I have driven, I feel totally safe and at ease in the D!
IMG_0146.JPG

I can agree with all you have stated. As a fellow bad back sufferer, just getting in and OUT of a CX is a drama, as is not managing to catch on the rear edge of the window frame. Back in the day when CXs were available new I declined to buy in. In QLD heat the CXs vast glass area turns the car into a static microwave oven and the aircon ( even with the split system ) was not up to scratch. They both suffer the same design problems of cabin heat sink and the need to drive an A/C compressor via the camshaft. It is the only power take off point. A good CX does have superior noise vibration and harshness suppression, but the interior door furniture and steering wheel barely lasted 3 years in everyday use in the tropics. The more upright seating plan of a D was better for me.
You have not mentioned the DS has superior headlights too, a revelation in 1968, and just as practical today. Yes a good D is capable of mixing it with modern traffic ( if your clutch foot can stand it ) and out on a country road they can still hold their own ...

Yes, for sure, they are not a good summer car. But, growing up without air conditioned cars, windows down is OK

That's interesting, I would have said the CX turbo has the best seats I have ever sat in (huge amounts of lower back support). Its probably the feet out in front (go-kart like) sitting position that is the problem. In the DS, you sit up high, we you feet downward, more like an arm chair.

If you can handle the modern "legs out infront" position of a CX ... its a fabulous highway cruiser. A lot quieter and easier on the driver that a DS :). There is nothing in the universe to travel in like a DS though (I wonder what the big hydraulically suspended rolls royces are like. They would be HEAVY so probably ride even better than the DS ? ).

The hydro Royces are not hydropneumatically sprung. They still ride on coil springs, the hydropneumatics are just used for self levelling IIRC.

That's interesting, I would have said the CX turbo has the best seats I have ever sat in (huge amounts of lower back support). Its probably the feet out in front (go-kart like) sitting position that is the problem. In the DS, you sit up high, we you feet downward, more like an arm chair.

If you can handle the modern "legs out infront" position of a CX ... its a fabulous highway cruiser. A lot quieter and easier on the driver that a DS :). There is nothing in the universe to travel in like a DS though (I wonder what the big hydraulically suspended rolls royces are like. They would be HEAVY so probably ride even better than the DS ? ).
There is considerable variation in DS seating between the low backrest and high backrest varieties and whether there is a leather covering. Some of the standard ( non Pallas ) seating had foam so soft that you could feel the backrest framework underneath, being a piece of sculptured foam alone. There are also several variations in the actual head rest designs. Some people hated the clip on versions that could be installed "right way up" or inverted according to taste.

There is considerable variation in DS seating between the low backrest and high backrest varieties and whether there is a leather covering. Some of the standard ( non Pallas ) seating had foam so soft that you could feel the backrest framework underneath, being a piece of sculptured foam alone. There are also several variations in the actual head rest designs. Some people hated the clip on versions that could be installed "right way up" or inverted according to taste.
Yes ... and the aussie assembled ones were different again :) . Think how you sit in a go-kart. This is your body angle in a CX (and a lot of modern cars) regardless of how comfortable the seats are! I'm thinking this is the issue, more than the outright comfort of the seat!

I went on a 1700km drive in my 1970 DS21ie 5BVM over the last few days, Adelaide to Rainbow to Melbourne and the same route back home.

I just thought I'd share my high praise of these amazing old cars - it didn't miss a beat, plenty strong enough for quick overtaking and very relaxed driving on the highway, as in hideous Melbourne traffic. I've been doing very long drives in Ds, particularly my Safari, for many years.

My recent focus on the '86 Series 2 CX Turbo has given me more interest in doing long trips in it, and it is great - but there's no doubt, for me, that the DS is significantly more comfortable (I have a very bad back, which is exacerbated driving the CX, and almost unnoticeable in the D). Somehow, despite various refinements in the CX chassis and suspension design, the D still feels more stable.

At 54 years old, and comparing it to modern cars I have driven, I feel totally safe and at ease in the D!View attachment 239975
Yes, I just returned from a 1,600 trip in my DS from Melbourne to McLaren Vale & return for the vintage classic
Seating and sitting position on the DS is fantastic!
Glenn

Attachments

• 8694E30C-0BF4-4F22-89A8-4C51640D568E.jpeg
    8694E30C-0BF4-4F22-89A8-4C51640D568E.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Yes, I was sorry to miss the McLaren Vale show.

And yes, the CX Turbo is an awesome highway car and I absolutely love driving it - perhaps it is because I have spent such a long time over the past 30 odd years driving Ds that I find them more comfortable, certainly they feel very familiar when I set out for a long drive or a quick blast through the winding hills roads! Handling is very predictable and the driver is a bit more engaged than in a CX.

Then there's the SM... a bit of a hybrid of mainly DS and the CX style steering, albeit with a bit more road-feel - that is a great highway cruiser too, although I don't drive it as much as the others... I think the weight distribution in the DS/ SM is better than the huge heavy front on the CX

Yes, I just returned from a 1,600 trip in my DS from Melbourne to McLaren Vale & return for the vintage classic
Seating and sitting position on the DS is fantastic!
Glenn
Agreed 100%
Did a paltry 1200 kms in my DS in Tasmania recently - it was just great.
Unfortunately took home a few stone chips (lots of road works) - might need a Car Bra ?
Ramon

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 37
Agreed 100%
Did a paltry 1200 kms in my DS in Tasmania recently - it was just great.
Unfortunately took home a few stone chips (lots of road works) - might need a Car Bra ?
Ramon
Nice pic Ramon!
I have a car-bra which I usually put on for long trips to avoid the stone chips.